This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

brrr !!!

We get loud and sometimes troubling noises but I have never been able to figure out if it is the lake ice or some other action taking place. This news of the "frost quake" is interesting and perhaps explains the sounds and vibrations. Until last week I had never heard of this phenomena before.

The lake does make some incredible noises and sitting in a fish hut when it decides to go "boom" is a little nerve wracking. I think it scares away all the fish as well as making the beer go skunky!!

233˚ out today!

Going back to the metric vs imperial issue, notice that TV new car/truck ads in Canada still tell you "36 mpg!" I believe that they are still using the Imperial gal. calculation with is decades obsolete. It sounds much better than the U.S. mpg of 30 mpg, and using 7.8 L/100km few can relate to because lower is better. We are programmed to understand more is better.

I use mpg instantaneous readout on my DIC because I cannot relate to L/100km unless I convert. It is too much thinking when I'm driving. I know instantly that 30+ mpg (U.S.) is real good for a V8 engine!

But temperature is a moot point at current ambient readings. With the media (especially U.S.) currently obsessed with the term "polar vortex," many places in NA are around the -40 range with windchill. The most important point to remember at this temperature C and F cross over. So -40 is -40 is COLD!!!

It is interesting that we Canadians originally invented the concept of "windchill". I vote to use the Kelvin scale. That way it doesn't seem THAT cold. Hey it's 233˚K today! Pretty hot!!

Go Kelvin! Now you know it's cold when it hits 0˚K! Hahaha. Everything stops...however, I bet you'd still see a game of shinny going on in Canada.

As for the frost quakes, it really must have to do with cold temperatures and moisture. We've gone from -30 to plus 0 within a day and the other way around and I've never heard any cracking or snapping like you guys describe. Very, very occasionally the house may make a noise and I've noised the floors are NOISY with squeaking in winter but quiet in the summer!

Just read your link Colin. It is quiet related to moisture and temperature. It's just too dry here for us to get the shakes I guess.
Funny how I didn't think this existed until the media told me it existed. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Like Brian said -- they're always coming up with something to startle you...

In 'Canada speak' -- it's just plain cold -- and the noises are just the ground and house shivering.

Believe it or not but the weather here is worse than this morning. Just drove across town to pick wife up from work and I can't see to the end of a city block. The street to the hospital is closed as visibility is nil! There is a back way there though. Every highway out of town is closed. Best just to hunker down for the night I think.

Right on Greg -- stay in where it's safe and warm.

Let's hope others that can do the same. It got all the way up to about -13 here today -- going to be another frosty one overnight.
Come on Saturday when it will be +3.

C.

Right on Greg -- stay in where it's safe and warm.

Let's hope others that can do the same. It got all the way up to about -13 here today -- going to be another frosty one overnight.
Come on Saturday when it will be +3.

C.

No kidding. Apparently there are 12 cars stranded on highway 10 near Markdale. There's a bunch of semis stranded at the south end of town waiting for the highway to open. Hydro is out in some communities too.
News Centre

pretty nasty winds today. helen had an appointment in peterborough today but had to turn around and come back. the O.P.P. had closed the causeway across chemong lake. i don't recall that happening before.

With Greg just a couple hours north of us, and Buffalo just an hour away, I feel mighty lucky tonight. Were right in the middle of some real miserable weather. Very windy here, and god awful cold, but at least it's not snowing and what we have is so frozen it's not blowing to bad either.
I guess I must live right.

Just came in from blowing the driveway for the 3rd time today. Another 6 inches since ~4 o'clock for sure. Running out of places to put it unless I start filling up the next door neighbor's lane. I'll have to take a picture and post it in the morning. The snow bank at the road is at least 7 feet high now.

Users who are viewing this thread