Our son was in Ottawa and it was so cold there that the politicians had their hands in their own pockets and the "Y" generation were pulling up their pants without even being asked. :) It's sitting on zero F. here right now. We were in Colorado Springs for a few days. When we got there it was in the high 50s F to Low '60s F. Then a terrible cold snap came and the thermometer went down to almost 20 F at night and 30s F in the daytime. I think I could handle that. It sure wasn't fun coming home yesterday to this deep freeze. Not too many talking about global warming these days. ;)

-33 C this morning. Last week it got up to -9 for one day and I was sure I was going to see people with some shorts on. It's been one freaking cold winter this year! On the way back from the in-laws on New-Years the temperature was one degree off of -40 which everyone on both sides of the border understands. :D

Coming from a younger whippersnapper, Fahrenheit is a stupid scale. 0 is based on the temperature at which brine freezes (so I guess we know when salt will no longer work on the roads???) and 100 is defined by normal human body temperature. Miles/Feet/inches don't make any sense either but for some reason, I still like using it more than the metric system!

Because of influence from the US, all the trade schools here in BC have gone back to the imperial system. They found that the apprentices didn't have a clue what was going on in the real world, because the material never changed.

I was lucky -- in school we learned both systems, and in the auto industry I worked at used metric a lot -- .

My son learned metric only and knows little about the Imperial system thanks to Trudeau..:mad:

C.

Because of influence from the US, all the trade schools here in BC have gone back to the imperial system. They found that the apprentices didn't have a clue what was going on in the real world, because the material never changed.

it didn't last long in the printing business either rob, even the gov't quit using metric size paper after a couple of years. i get a charge out of folks who adamantly insist this is a metric country......it's fun to watch them when you ask them how tall they are or how much they weigh and how they buy material at the lumber yard. :D

Yep, it's funny how I understand a stud is 92 5/8" and how it makes for an 8 foot ceiling.
I would like to go to the lumber yard and ask for a 235.3cm stud or 2353mm stud but I doubt they would know what I am talking about. Like I said. The metric system divides more easily and makes more logic, but I understand the imperial system better.....except for fartenheight.

Out here in Caledonia; I always here that the old Indian out on six nations can tell you if it is going to be a cold winter or not. I didn't know if this was true or not, so one day I went out to the reserve and questioned this old Indian chap. I asked him; how do you know if it is going to be a cold winter or not. He looked me in the eye and with a very knowing face told me "" by the size of the white man's wood pile"".

Ha! I have thought about F being more accurate than C and agree with you Brian but at the same time I find myself always checking my tires with the dash readout in psi rather than MPa....what the heck is an MPa anyway and why do I care if it's 220? I like the low numbers that my brain can understand! :D

Yep, it's funny how I understand a stud is 92 5/8" and how it makes for an 8 foot ceiling.
I would like to go to the lumber yard and ask for a 235.3cm stud or 2353mm stud but I doubt they would know what I am talking about. Like I said. The metric system divides more easily and makes more logic, but I understand the imperial system better.....except for fartenheight.

riley, fartenheight is the optimum placement of the candle or bic lighter to create the ideal "blue angel" :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread