This shot puts into perspective just how long the Corvette has been around...these were all pretty new cars at the time...gas at 25.9

6ep3pe.jpg

I found this about the WESTERN-GILLETTE Truck Lines:

A combination of Western truck lines and Gillette. the two companies interchanged in ElPaso Tex. They ran with 72 inch cab sleeper rigs and in 1960 when I first started traveling that way doubles were not yet legal in Texas(not until 1963). When the two companies merged they did business as Western Gillette and acquired authority at least as far east at Birmingham. they also ran a closed door route over I40. they were acquired by Roadway which put Roadway into California and the rights also serviced Reno NV altho I don't know if Roadway operated to Reno but Western Gillette did. They had Freightliners with the 1694 big Cat engine so that the drivers could run the 500 miles from LA to Reno in 10 hours. They also operated Tankers under the name of Cantlay and Tanzola out of the LA area which big R also inherited when they bought the Co.

I remember putting gas in my car(1971j at $0.489/gal.
Graham

Graham, interesting history of the freight company. Thanks for posting it up.

Eric, I would love to have one of those Mobil Flying Horse signs as well. I have never actually seen one fore sale here but Mobil had no retail presence in Ontario so maybe not surprising. Noticed the Texaco sandwich board and of course along with Sunoco both are gone.

Always interesting what is in the background of some these old shots.

Thanks guys.

Can we play a guessing game with these three pictures? Any guesses who this fellow is that is working on his Corvette? Hint, he is famous and his background is Air Force and Command from the WW2 era. He was a very mechanically minded guy and organized race events on the base he was in command of. Answer tomorrow but it would be interesting to see if someone recognizes him....

79ce7d74d8823309_landing.jpg
9490a132d4f6e29d_landing.jpg
85b14778e6313d28_landing.jpg

Reactions: ddgermann