May 19, 2016
Airdrie
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z51
Province
AB
It's been a tough year for me so far.

Getting away for a bit was nice, even if it was only a week, and it's probably going to take me a week to recover.

I apologize for not taking any pictures on day 1. It was a long drive from Airdrie to Hope, and it rained most of the way. Nothing very nice to take pictures of, and you don't want a wife and a son nagging at you for stopping to take crappy pictures anyway.

The idea behind day 1 was to find a stop that my wife could plan and make reservations, and it wouldn't cost us a bundle. I know from experience that staying anywhere close to Vancouver is preposterously expensive, and Hope was my outset - It's still a bit of a drive to get to Tasawwassen, but I knew it would be a lot cheaper. Yes,it was.

The first night's stay at a No-Tell Motel (I don't want to smear their name) was indeed cheaper, but I don't think I slept at all. The bed was hard as a rock and concaved so bad that I had to stick out my knee for fear of rolling over. I should have just slept on the floor. I was up before anything opened downtown. I had to get in the car and sniff out a coffee shop somewhere. I desperately settled for a Starbucks, and then drove past a Tim Horton's on the way back to the motel. What a terrible start to the day.

Hope was cloudy and rainy. Much like Alberta. In fact, most of this trip was marred with rain and clouds. I don't know if they followed us all the way, but it sure seemed like it.

Despite the lack of sleep, I drove down to the ferry with enough time to stop at the outlet mall and I got some new shoes. Do you know what they say about guys who have big feet? They are really hard to buy shoes for. That's me! You normal feet guys probably won't understand, but those shoes made a really big difference in the rest of my vacation.

My wife had made reservations on the ferry. I didn't even know you could do this, and I have sat in line for hours waiting to cross. I hate to ruin this for my next folly in another ten years, but it is worth it to make that reservation. The extra fee is totally worth being in the first three lines to board and exit.

This is the ferry beside us, but the one we are on is the same size.

Do be forewarned that parking on the ferry can suck. Both ways I got stuck on the inside lane right in front of a doorway, so I had at least 42 people touch, lean on, grasp, or otherwise rub their fat ass against my car on the way to their own.

Upon arriving at the island we had a bit of a travel to get to our hotel, but it was ocean-side with a fantastic view. This is with the tide out from our balcony.

Apparently I can only post three pictures at a time, so this story might take a while.

We headed back down to Nanaimo to meet up with my mom, and went to explore the harbor after dinner.

They seem more pleased about crabs than they should be.

I was fascinated by some of the things I saw down on the docks! Like this beautiful old vessel that has been refitted with aluminum to keep it working, but is otherwise a worn old wooden boat with some amazing character!

It's been a tough year for me so far.

Getting away for a bit was nice, even if it was only a week, and it's probably going to take me a week to recover.

I apologize for not taking any pictures on day 1. It was a long drive from Airdrie to Hope, and it rained most of the way. Nothing very nice to take pictures of, and you don't want a wife and a son nagging at you for stopping to take crappy pictures anyway.

The idea behind day 1 was to find a stop that my wife could plan and make reservations, and it wouldn't cost us a bundle. I know from experience that staying anywhere close to Vancouver is preposterously expensive, and Hope was my outset - It's still a bit of a drive to get to Tasawwassen, but I knew it would be a lot cheaper. Yes,it was.

The first night's stay at a No-Tell Motel (I don't want to smear their name) was indeed cheaper, but I don't think I slept at all. The bed was hard as a rock and concaved so bad that I had to stick out my knee for fear of rolling over. I should have just slept on the floor. I was up before anything opened downtown. I had to get in the car and sniff out a coffee shop somewhere. I desperately settled for a Starbucks, and then drove past a Tim Horton's on the way back to the motel. What a terrible start to the day.
View attachment 29467

Hope was cloudy and rainy. Much like Alberta. In fact, most of this trip was marred with rain and clouds. I don't know if they followed us all the way, but it sure seemed like it.

Despite the lack of sleep, I drove down to the ferry with enough time to stop at the outlet mall and I got some new shoes. Do you know what they say about guys who have big feet? They are really hard to buy shoes for. That's me! You normal feet guys probably won't understand, but those shoes made a really big difference in the rest of my vacation.

My wife had made reservations on the ferry. I didn't even know you could do this, and I have sat in line for hours waiting to cross. I hate to ruin this for my next folly in another ten years, but it is worth it to make that reservation. The extra fee is totally worth being in the first three lines to board and exit.

This is the ferry beside us, but the one we are on is the same size.
View attachment 29468

Do be forewarned that parking on the ferry can suck. Both ways I got stuck on the inside lane right in front of a doorway, so I had at least 42 people touch, lean on, grasp, or otherwise rub their fat ass against my car on the way to their own.

Upon arriving at the island we had a bit of a travel to get to our hotel, but it was ocean-side with a fantastic view. This is with the tide out from our balcony.
View attachment 29469

Apparently I can only post three pictures at a time, so this story might take a while.
The picture in Hope is on Fraser street,just south of Fort. That’s the Slumber Lodge on the left and Rolly’s Pancake house on the right. Did you have breakfast there J ? The make some seriously good omelettes. In the future,if you travel through there,the Windsor Motel is the nicest place in Hope.

We went to the Sakoon Indian restaurant for dinner, and my wife got the best beef vindaloo I have ever tasted!

We were looking to get on the road and make some miles, so breakfast was a quick stop at the Timmy's that I found on the way back from CrapBucks.

Day 3 started with breakfast at Lefty's in Qualicum Beach. Pretty good food, but not enough meat. They had an excellent selection of cakes and pies and treats though!

From there we headed out to the caves at Horne Lake. It looked like a short trip on google maps, but it was a longer trip than I thought.

My mom didn't think she could navigate the main cave, and I didn't want her to have to wait a couple of hours for us to go through it, so we skipped the guided tour and just went hiking and exploring on our own with rental helmets and lights.

The path started out well groomed and easy to navigate. Boy, did that change!
20190708_124831.jpg

My boy and I had a blast exploring the caves!

20190708_125442.jpg

20190708_130242.jpg

20190708_125811.jpg

After 1 cave, my boy was an old pro.
20190708_130120.jpg

I gotta take pictures of him, just in case it is the last one I ever get of him.
20190708_130346.jpg

Remember that great path at the beginning? Well, once they have you committed, it changes.
20190708_133414.jpg

The core of this tree has separated from the trunk, and they cut a big chunk out of it so that it wouldn't impede upon the path. Such a fascinating sight, I thought it was just waiting for the opportunity to rivet some poor hiker to the mountainside.
20190708_133616.jpg

Trying to keep up with an energetic child is tough work, so I needed to take advantage of this shortcut to catch up!
20190708_134752.jpg

20190708_135900.jpg

On the way out, I had to stop and take a picture of this rock that rolled down the mountain and stopped right at the side of the road. On the other side of the road is another couple hundred foot drop to the lake. Just awesome!
View attachment 29516
Nice to see something like that without graffiti too.Unlike the massive boulder alongside Hwy 1 near 3 Valley Gap. Great pic J.

Day 4 needed to start with a hearty breakfast. Another great little drive down the Island Highway and I found a fantastic little place called Deez Bar & Grill.

An amazing bacon, mushroom, spinach and feta cheese omelette set me up with some fuel for the day!
20190709_094123.jpg

Of course my addicts had to have their pancakes. No sense of adventure! :p
20190709_094130.jpg

After a lovely breakfast we set out on another adventure. If you are going to the island, you simply must see Cathedral Grove. It is a truly magnificent old-growth forest with the biggest trees I have ever seen. It has changed a lot since the last time I was there and some of the biggest and oldest trees have fallen, but the magnificence remains, and what could be cooler than hiking through the forest of Endor?

20190709_112204.jpg

This is a really neat picture to me. Three obvious fells, but that wall that they are laying on is another tree. A REALLY big tree!
20190709_112754.jpg

I gotta hold back my comments on this one.
20190709_112536.jpg

I think after two days of hiking and trekking about, we may have tired out the old folks.
20190709_113216.jpg

20190709_112536.jpg

20190709_113216.jpg

20190709_120441.jpg

One of the really big trees does indeed still stand for now.
20190709_121704.jpg

I was just waiting for this tree to suddenly animate and eat him.
20190709_121833.jpg

This felled tree has been there for many years and it is still a highlight of this forest. It reminds me of just how insignificant I am.
20190709_122009.jpg

20190709_122302.jpg

From Cathedral Grove we circled back to Qualicum Falls for another hike. Such a beautiful spot!

20190709_125751.jpg

20190709_130227.jpg

20190709_130644.jpg

20190709_132134.jpg

The climb was worth this amazing shot from above the upper falls. It's funny how the camera just doesn't show the depth of what I am looking at. I'm about 50 feet above this bowl, surrounded by walls of rock. It is truly remarkable what the water has done here over the course of time.
20190709_132749.jpg

I really liked this natural staircase of roots.
20190709_133204.jpg

20190709_133827.jpg

Day 5 was a different kind of day. I had a couple of meetings to take care of that took up a lot of the day, but we did get to meet up with a family member who I have never met before. A cousin of my father's joined us for lunch, and it was great to put a voice to a Facebook profile.

It was mid-afternoon before we could finally start making our way down to Victoria, and once again google maps made the trip seem a lot closer than it was. Nearly three hours to get down there, and although I have been there before, I just can't get enough of this place. Every time I go there I know that I need to come back and see some more.

Something that caught my attention and I knew I needed to see was Craigdarroch Castle. Although it was built as a private home, this structure is an absolute marvel of the late 1800's.
20190710_165806.jpg

So many amazing things about this incredible building. The magnificent tower at the entrance is fascinating. From the rounded wood to the curved windows. The alarm switches are original, and this place has had hot and cold running water, electricity and gas since it was built in 1887-1890!
20190710_165859.jpg

This gas fireplace in the foyer welcomes visitors, and its message stands true more than 120 years later!
20190710_170630.jpg

I can't say enough about this amazing home, and if you ever visit Victoria you MUST go here. It is truly stunning.

20190710_181518.jpg

Victoria Harbour
20190710_185622.jpg

On the return trip, we stopped in Duncan for some grub at the Doghouse.
20190710_202801.jpg

What started out in this awful picture as a tiny roadside takeout restaurant selling hot dogs is now a full-fledged restaurant with a huge selection of great food! I of course had to seize the opportunity to get a foot-long hot dog and potato-bacon soup!
20190710_204129.jpg

and the treats! Oh my!
20190710_202720.jpg

Day 6 was time to leave the island and travel back to the mainland.

My niece lives in Vancouver, so my wife found us a little B&B in the city nearby so that we could visit. We stayed in the blue one. I sure do miss that little girl even though she's all grown up now, and she scares me with how much she is like me.

20190712_063841.jpg

Lots of these century homes have been converted into multiple dwellings. It was a nice place, but I would have happily traded that rock-hard box of a bed for the one in Hope. I didn't sleep at all. At around 5am I finally got up because I couldn't take the pain any more. I hurt so bad that it probably took me a half-hour to make it two blocks to find some coffee at an A&W. The B&B was a block and a half away from city hall, so the surrounding neighborhoods were quite old and entertaining. I walked all the way down Cambie and over the bridge to the west side and then back.

20190712_070755.jpg
20190712_070804.jpg

I couldn't count the amount of people that I saw, but I could seriously count on one hand the amount of people that actually acknowledged my existence, and exactly two people responded to my greet of good morning.

Here's an interesting twist of Where's Waldo? How many billions of dollars do you see in this photo?
20190712_072939.jpg

Even if the people weren't all that nice, this early morning view sure was. I believe the bridge you see in the distance is Granville Island.
20190712_073350.jpg

Across from City Hall stands this beautiful house. What amazing architecture!
20190712_080035.jpg

Day 7 was a busy day of travel, and although it was a short visit, no trip past Vancouver would be complete without making a bit of time to meet up with a fellow Corvette enthusiast and outstanding member of this forum. @nascar03 returned home from a vacation of his own less than an hour before I arrived, so I didn't need to leave my gifts under his doormat. Thank you so much Graham for your generous hospitality and the tour of your toy rooms! I promise to make more time for you the next time we meet! It was truly a pleasure to meet you and Bev!
20190712_104714.jpg

From Langley we traveled to Abbotsford to meet up with another friend that I've know since high school for lunch. He also owns a Trans Am (99 vert), and a 90 Firebird Formula which I scouted for him a few years ago.

From Abbotsford I took the scenic route down the Crowsnest highway and saw some great things. One of the things that really amazed me was the sheer amount of old vehicles sitting in yards and fields along the way. I have never seen such an amount of old vehicles along a highway anywhere else in Canada! I am sorry that I couldn't take the time to stop and take pictures, but I could literally spend a few days doing just that.

My choice of routes took a few hours longer than it should have, and I didn't even think about what it was going to take to get through Kelowna. I do not like that city, and it must have taken us at least an hour to get through it. UGH!

We finally arrived at my dad's place in Vernon where he has a beautiful house high on the mountain above the city. Completely exhausted, I took a quick picture of the night-time view from his back deck before I went to bed.
20190712_225529.jpg

In the morning I got a couple more shots from the deck looking out over the lake, and over Vernon.
20190713_105455.jpg

Attachments

• 20190713_105503.jpg
    20190713_105503.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 10
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.