N

navion

Anybody know if a battery tender can be hooked up to the remote terminals under the hood in my C6 ZR1 and still charge the battery? It is a pain in the a$$ to have to hook it up to the battery in the rear of the car.

I haven't looked under a Z's hood but I'm assuming that those underhood terminals are hooked up to the battery's + & - ?

In any case, I doubt it would hurt anything, Terry, due to very low amps so what I would do is hook it up and see if the charger cycles thru its program.

I use a cigarette lighter attachment for connecting inside the car which usually has 2 or 3 outlets (front and rear)
Like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Chargers/CTEK-Power-Inc/CTEK56263.html

Thx. Colin but if it is connected to the cigarette lighter, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the tender as the cigarette lighter would be drawing current from the battery all the time? I'm going to Iceland for almost a month and I don't want a flat battery when I get home but taking the battery out is a real pita so I was looking for an alternative solution. Hooking it directly to the battery is an option but then the interior hatch lights are on all the time with the hatch not completely closed because of the wires to the battery.

Thx. Colin but if it is connected to the cigarette lighter, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the tender as the cigarette lighter would be drawing current from the battery all the time? I'm going to Iceland for almost a month and I don't want a flat battery when I get home but taking the battery out is a real pita so I was looking for an alternative solution. Hooking it directly to the battery is an option but then the interior hatch lights are on all the time with the hatch not completely closed because of the wires to the battery.

No Terry -- the cigarette lighter just provides a route to the battery. Plugging in the tender/charger/trickler won't draw power from the battery', it allows juice to go from the charger to the battery......and voila! : fully charged battery. (Many of us have been doing this for years.:))

Have another look at the link above -- you'll see that the attachment is for a CTEK charger and fits the cord. It allows you to connect the cigarette lighter attachment to the outlet cord after disconnecting the alligator clips or permanent ring battery attachment.

Some chargers come with the cigarette lighter attachment -- My CTEK's that I have bought don't and I had to buy separately.

Here's one of my setups -- the CTEK is slightly larger unit (7002) but attaches the same as the more popular 3300.

Cheers,
Colin

that's right colin, the tender is backfeeding the battery through a charging port - in this case the cigarette lighter. some of my tenders i hardwire to the battery and just plug and unplug the tender from the extended 12v cord.

that's right colin, the tender is backfeeding the battery through a charging port - in this case the cigarette lighter. some of my tenders i hardwire to the battery and just plug and unplug the tender from the extended 12v cord.

Hardwiring is best, but sometimes not convenient -- my '94's battery isn't as accessible as I'd like it so I always use the cig. lighter.

I almost forgot that my '11 GS came with the optional "battery maintainer kit"
see pic. It happened to come with the cigarette lighter attachment to allow some models with remote batteries to hook up easier......
A little different than the regular 3300 CTEK -- I think unique enough to keep.

Hardwiring is best, but sometimes not convenient -- my '94's battery isn't as accessible as I'd like it so I always use the cig. lighter.

I almost forgot that my '11 GS came with the optional "battery maintainer kit"
see pic. It happened to come with the cigarette lighter attachment to allow some models with remote batteries to hook up easier......
A little different than the regular 3300 CTEK -- I think unique enough to keep.

My 13' C6Z came with the same battery tender....have used it with no concern...however, don't like the idea of leaving the window down an inch under the cover so that I can get to the 120 plug...

I put my connector here..it is a magnetic plug so i can just drive away and it pulls off..I plug it in after every use..I use mag charger with battery tender plus jr.
http://www.nakidparts.com/id127.html

p1791947940-4.jpg

p1657007352-4.jpg

OK now that is cool! I've heard about those for electric cars where they are buried under the driveway. I have an electric toothbrush that gets charged the same way, magnetically.

I'll have to look into this after harvest as it looks like a neat, all external solution..........

Thanks for the posting Nanook and sweet ride too if I may add!

Cheers,

Garry

I think you're referring more to induction charging..this what I have here is actually hardwired..what amazes me is that my battery now nearly 6 years old is still going strong
Where abouts are you farming in the Peace ?

Good afternoon Nanook,

Up in the actual, real north of Alberta. As opposed to those who live in Edmonton who think they live in "northern Alberta" and obviously have never consulted a map! So I'm about 25 minutes west of Peace River.

And you??

A battery that lasts for 6 years? Now that is really saying something for that system.

Yes, induction would be a better description! The problem of trying to find to read and post during harvest!!

Cheers,

Garry

I have mine hooked up under the hood of my ZR1. If you have a battery tender it will come with the extra harness. Positive to the terminal near the side of the fuse box and the negative to the lower ground terminal on the frame. Make sure you hook up the positive to the lead that's covered on the connection end of the harness you connect to on the car to prevent a short.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.