ron fish

2 You're 10
Jan 21, 2012
Whitby
VetteCoins
Car
2002 coupe
Just had the dealer install my second battery in less than a year. Dealer told me that you cannot let these cars (02 coupe) sit for more than 2 to 3 weeks or the battery dies. I thought It could be an electical fault (short somewhere or charging system malfunctioning). But after having kept the car for two days they tell me the electrical system is ok. Has anyone experienced these problems? Or is it common on this car? I have just purchased a CTEK battery charger for winter storage. Hopefully that will keep the battery charged during the winter months.

every vehicle that sits long term should really have a tender/maintainer. i have them on every thing i own that doesn't see regular use. i even have one hard wired to my little kubota back hoe. when i turn the key on my stuff,i want it to work !! :seeya: doug.

Our 'vettes are particularly prone to battery drain apparently due to many live circuits, so yes common to our cars.
A periodic charge up is necessary and a battery tender/maintainer is best.
Most here use the CTEK tender.

C.

Agreed! Our cars suck the life out of batteries. My car has a 50/50 chance of starting if I leave it for three weeks. It is usually good for two and I start getting nervous after that.

Just had the dealer install my second battery in less than a year. Dealer told me that you cannot let these cars (02 coupe) sit for more than 2 to 3 weeks or the battery dies. I thought It could be an electical fault (short somewhere or charging system malfunctioning). But after having kept the car for two days they tell me the electrical system is ok. Has anyone experienced these problems? Or is it common on this car? I have just purchased a CTEK battery charger for winter storage. Hopefully that will keep the battery charged during the winter months.
A few months after I bought my 02, I started having intermittent starting problems. Like most, thought it was the battery or starter and then found an article to check a number of my grounds on the car. I believe there was 7 or 9 locations that the article suggested checking. I did just that, took off each ground, cleaned and sanded each area slightly and never had a problem again. I can't say if this was the actual problem or cure, but something worth while checking as it really didn't take long.

During the summer, there is no danger of our car sitting long enough for the battery to run down. I bought a new C Tek charger and hooked it up the other day so hopefully the car is good for the winter. There is something in the manual about always parking the car in reverse with the park brake on. That is supposed to have something to do with shutting down some of the system. Too complicated for my old brain to understand. :p

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Paul, based upon Manny's suggestion I had all the grounds checked and cleaned last year. It appears that this electrical issue is a small price to pay for owning these great cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.