Love mine on the 'vette and Taurus, and a few other cars I've owned.

I think they're a world of fun, and quite efficient: I've not blown a shift yet.:D

Quite popular too: autos outnumber manuals now by 9 to 1....so resale is a factor that should be considered.

I'm auto all the way. It's what I love and works for me.

Congrats on the forthcoming C7 -- It'll be a treat in either auto or manual.

C.

I have what may sound like a ridiculous question but what is the difference between using the paddles or using the shifter up or down on the older vehicles without the paddles?

I was once told that manually shifting an auto transmission to often could actually damage a transmission.

Just curious?

I have what may sound like a ridiculous question but what is the difference between using the paddles or using the shifter up or down on the older vehicles without the paddles?

I was once told that manually shifting an auto transmission too often could actually damage a transmission.

Just curious?

No damage (provided you do it properly) ...... It's what the paddles are for just like in some of the more expensive cars like Lambo's , Ferrari's and F1 cars.

Very popular option these days and found on many cars now.

The beauty of these is that if you want to shift and override the computer you can, or you just leave it in Drive and let the computer do it for you.

The cars without paddles have gear positions that have specific uses and provided you use the positions properly there should be no damage whatsoever.

C.

Love mine on the 'vette and Taurus, and a few other cars I've owned.

I think they're a world of fun, and quite efficient: I've not blown a shift yet.:D

C.

Drive my car once and I bet that would change! With a 3.42 diff, a 3000 stall and the blower, mine revs up FAST!

In my C6, I know that factory transmission tune sucked. It took a good trans tunes for me to really start enjoying it. In paddle mode, my shifts are quick and firm.

Not sure how good the tune will be on the C7 though. Haven't heard any feedback as of yet.

Last edited:
find a GM dealer with a CTS-V sport with paddle shift take it for a drive see how you feel about the paddle shifting...I know it is not the same transmission but it should give you a feeling for it

LOL Rob -- redline with the steep gear will come up fast on ya......but you didn't blow a shift you just hit the rev limit .... no biggie.

C.

In my world, if I hit the rev limiter, it means that I've missed and blown a shift. :D

In my world, if I hit the rev limiter, it means that I've missed and blown a shift. :D

I hear you Rob -- Your reaction time should still be very good at your age, you won't take much practice to perfect shifting.

I have to 'practice' more than you -- but it's coming. I really can't imagine this much power with a taller gear. Even in mine I find first gear all but useless... :D

C.

I wish my car revved too fast.:(......................:D

Sounds fun practicing hitting the shifts!!!!:coolgleam:

yeah with 6 gears, the top end of 1st comes up pretty dang quick --

you have to shift more by feel and ear than looking at the analog tach which is slow. -- It does take some practice even with stock ponies -- you can well imagine the issue with 'a little more' hp.:D

C.

My ZL1 Stage 5+ is an auto…but for the Vette it had to be a standard….its more of a track car…and I don't think an automatic is for the track….my ZL1 is for the drag track…and we all know what auto's are like at the strip, MONSTER!!! lol Glad I went with the stick…

Most people just lose respect for a sports car when they look inside and see that its a automatic… but to each his own i guess…I like both, they have their pro's and Cons I guess. cheers!

...,most people? lol, respect or no, if and when I get a C7 Z06 it will be an auto -- no more standard for me -- but hey that's my choice and believe me, I'm happy to make that choice.:D

Good morning Riley,

Your car won't rev too fast enough you say???

Just put it into neutral before you go WOT next time. I'm sure you'll find it will rev plenty quick then.

Gee I wish all the forum members problems were this easy to solve!

Like Sarge says "Problemmo solved boys".

Cheers,

Garry

to be honest, I like auto's…but the main reason i bought a standard in the C7 is I'm tired of women, yes women, making fun of me at car shows because my car is auto…lol…I can't count how many times a girl would walk up and say, "nice car!" and then look inside and see that its a auto and then say, " oh forget it!! its an auto", lol I can't take the humiliation anymore, to be honest. even my wife wanted me to get a standard in the Vette, The reason i bought an auto ZL1 was for drag racing to have the upper hand … cheers!
but if you like auto's and are not afraid of being called every name in the book for choosing a Auto corvette, go ahead, more power to you. bahahaha

to be honest, I like auto's…but the main reason i bought a standard in the C7 is I'm tired of women, yes women, making fun of me at car shows because my car is auto…lol…I can't count how many times a girl would walk up and say, "nice car!" and then look inside and see that its a auto and then say, " oh forget it!! its an auto", lol I can't take the humiliation anymore, to be honest. even my wife wanted me to get a standard in the Vette, The reason i bought an auto ZL1 was for drag racing to have the upper hand … cheers!
but if you like auto's and are not afraid of being called every name in the book for choosing a Auto corvette, go ahead, more power to you. bahahaha

LOL, well women or anyone else should realize just how good auto transmissions are these days, not to mention that some of the most expensive cars such as Ferrari and Lamborghini have automatics (not sure exclusively or not) but you can bet they've evaluated them to be quicker shifting and a better trans whether they're on the street or the track.

Just a little observation.

Don't let anyone (male or female) poo-poo automatics these days. Fact is GM is trying to keep pace with other super cars.....as well as keeping pace with demand, and I for one am very pleased to see it.:D

Nothing wrong with the standard tranny and for the purist it's still available, thankfully, to keep them happy too.

Cheers,
Colin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.