If it's a "demand" type of pump, like an RV Shur-Flo, it's telling you there's a leak (air usually) in the system somewhere, possibly a hose or at a fitting.
It cycles on and off because it "thinks" there's a demand for pressure/pumping, created by the leak/pressure drop, in the system.
To a demand pump, a faucet is a "leak" which triggers the pumping and water flow.
The leak could be at the pump fittings, or if it's got a removable strainer/filter, sometimes the seals there leak air.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
If it's a "demand" type of pump, like an RV Shur-Flo, it's telling you there's a leak (air usually) in the system somewhere, possibly a hose or at a fitting.
It cycles on and off because it "thinks" there's a demand for pressure/pumping, created by the leak/pressure drop, in the system.
To a demand pump, a faucet is a "leak" which triggers the pumping and water flow.
The leak could be at the pump fittings, or if it's got a removable strainer/filter, sometimes the seals there leak air.
When the water runs, the pressure on the pump lowers rapidly to 30 PSI and the pump turns on and goes back to 50 where it stays until the next time the water is used. That's why I thought the pressure tank is no longer holding pressure. I'll have to measure the air pressure and see.

When the water runs, the pressure on the pump lowers rapidly to 30 PSI and the pump turns on and goes back to 50 where it stays until the next time the water is used. That's why I thought the pressure tank is no longer holding pressure. I'll have to measure the air pressure and see.
Either way, it is a demand system, so there's a leak somewhere, air or water, triggering the pump to engage.
Good luck, they're a pita to find, unless you can use dye or smoke or soap bubbles.

My pressure tank seems to have gone belly up. The pump just cycles on an off every few seconds now.
It's a 33 gallon one, but I'm wondering if I need one that size. Seems a 21 gallon is the most popular.
I have 2 wells and pressure tanks here on the farm. MK is correct. It could be a leak in the system which would be easy to see if it were right at your pressure tank and associated piping. It could also be a fault in the pressure switch. Do you have a pressure gauge in the system? Should be close to the pressure tank and should show you pressure loss. And yes. It could be the pressure tank has become waterlogged. There is a bladder or diaphragm in the tank that separates the air and the water. if that has ruptured and your tank is full of water that would cause your pump to cycle. There should be what looks like a tire valve on the top of the tank. With the pump running, depress the valve and if you get water coming out, your tank is definitely hooped. Your tank should have a pressure rating on it. Typical tanks are a 30/50 which require about 29 psi of air in the tank to work properly. That's about all I got....

Thanks guys. What;'s funny is the pressure in the tank says 30 PSI.
Minutes later, he presses his thumbnail on the valve and his hand gets showered with water! LOL. You guessed it Mr. RRUUFF! LOL
Thanks guys!!

Next question. Do I need 33 gallon tank or is 21 gallon enough for 2 people?
There are math formulas on web sites, but I'm lazy! LOL

Minutes later, he presses his thumbnail on the valve and his hand gets showered with water! LOL. You guessed it Mr. RRUUFF! LOL
Thanks guys!!

Is your water heater tanked or tankless? (I know, it's a tankless job, but somebody has to do it).
Go big, if you can.

Thanks guys!!

Like just about anything else, bigger is better. If your pressure switch is set at 30/50 the minimum pressure you will have in the line is 30psi. This sounds like a lot and pressure wise it's pretty good but with a smaller pressure tank, your pump will be cycling more often as only about 1/4 of your pressure tank volume is water and the rest is air. If it were me, I'd go for the 33.

Like just about anything else, bigger is better. If your pressure switch is set at 30/50 the minimum pressure you will have in the line is 30psi. This sounds like a lot and pressure wise it's pretty good but with a smaller pressure tank, your pump will be cycling more often as only about 1/4 of your pressure tank volume is water and the rest is air. If it were me, I'd go for the 33.

I have 2 wells and pressure tanks here on the farm. MK is correct. It could be a leak in the system which would be easy to see if it were right at your pressure tank and associated piping. It could also be a fault in the pressure switch. Do you have a pressure gauge in the system? Should be close to the pressure tank and should show you pressure loss. And yes. It could be the pressure tank has become waterlogged. There is a bladder or diaphragm in the tank that separates the air and the water. if that has ruptured and your tank is full of water that would cause your pump to cycle. There should be what looks like a tire valve on the top of the tank. With the pump running, depress the valve and if you get water coming out, your tank is definitely hooped. Your tank should have a pressure rating on it. Typical tanks are a 30/50 which require about 29 psi of air in the tank to work properly. That's about all I got....
Absolutely. Nothing worse than a leaky bladder ! But in all seriousness that is a common cause of frequent cycling. I lived with a pressure system for a number of years and have seen it happen. Also the larger the pressure tank the better as the system will cycle less frequently which is less annoying and easier on the pressure switch contacts as well. Plus fewer charge/discharge cycles on the motor capacitor.
IMG_1246.jpeg
IMG_1246.jpeg
IMG_1246.jpeg
IMG_1246.jpeg

I was going to recommend Princess Auto but their biggest is 26.4 gallons. It was cheap though but you Ontario guys have lots of cash.... ;)
Ya, I forgot about them until after I made the other purchase. They are cheaper than all the other stores selling the same unit. I might have settled on that one. It's half the price of the one I bought. <sigh>

You do not want to go cheap on plumbing parts. For certain it will fail at the most inopportune time, like Christmas Morning. :Biggrin:
Ya, I hear you. I've had to repair my septic system three times and always when you need it the most! It's a crappy situation! <groan>

So, the company I ordered it from "Wahl Water" couldn't get me the tank until late this week.
They did reply when I asked when I could expect delivery, but the website said "Ships in 1 to 2 days".
I might, if I need to, go back to them, but I didn't want to wait so I cancelled my order and bought the 26 gallon one from Princess Auto instead.
I picked it up a couple of hours ago and installed it and it's working fine ... so far. We'll see how the showers go, but I think it will work fine. Most water pumps are rated continuous anyway!
Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated!

Thanks guys. I ordered the same one. Well-rite WR120R $779.00 plus tax, but the last one lasted 25 years so this one will outlast me! ;)
Edit: 33 gallons.
Don't be so sure it will outlast you.
My first one lasted 20 years, the second one 15 years, the third one 3 years, the fourth one
has been in 2 years and bladder is still fine but...... who knows.
40 years in the same house, 50 years same wife, 22 years same Vette! I like things that last!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.