Boys and their toys.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170610_113142.jpg
    20170610_113142.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210712_085526.jpg
    20210712_085526.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Give us a breakdown of the buildup, block, internals, etc.
Have you baseline dyno'd?
Really nice looking.
The boat is a 18’ Catalina jet boat.
This model is their bubbletop
It’s from late 70’s early 80’s.
The Catalina is a Canadian boat built by California Marine in Richmond BC.
These boats gained a lot of fame back in the drag boat racing scene.

The engine is a
I just replaced the crank and bored out .40 over.
Keith Black flat top pistons all balanced rotating assembly done at D&W Racing Engines in Calgary.

The heads are Darts with 68cc that have been ported and chambers able to flow 200cfm.
Comp Cam cut for a cut jet

Edelbrock 650 carb manual choke
Basset Racing headers and over $1500 worth of an fittings and hoses.
It has not been on a dyno but should push this boat up close to 60 mph.
Today I’m shampooing the carpets and will be taking it out sometime during the week for a cam breakin and timing and carb set up.
I have another one of these Catalina‘s that I will be dropping its bbc 454 bored 40 over as soon as I have this one finished.
More to come
Cheers 🍻

Being a construction guy I have already owned the Original Contract and stiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllll working on that Change Order.

View attachment 85303
Most large construction and management company owners have one of these.... Chief estimator bids low... Contract awarded... Management sits down with their lawyer team immediately to find places in the contract where they can change order and screw the owner for an extra 40 million... Happens every day.... lol...

Most large construction and management company owners have one of these.... Chief estimator bids low... Contract awarded... Management sits down with their lawyer team immediately to find places in the contract where they can change order and screw the owner for an extra 40 million... Happens every day.... lol...

Not our fault the engineer puts out crappy incomplete packages. 🤷‍♂️

As my thread is temporarily derailed while we wait for our next boat update
and where the P.Eng. (the one who gets the credit) can just put the blame
down on the C.Tech (the one who does the work),
This C.Tech. might as well add a comment regarding cost over-run experience ... :Biggrin:

Not always the P.Eng. ...
Two simple carpenters were contracted to work on a house. One was nailing down siding and would reach into his nail pouch, pull out a nail and either toss it over his shoulder or nail it in.
The other, figuring this was worth looking into, asked, "Why are you throwing those nails away?"
The first explained, "If I pull a nail out of my pouch and it's pointed toward me, I throw it away 'cause it's defective. If it's pointed toward the house, then I nail it in!"
The second simpleton got completely upset and yelled, "You moron! The nails pointed toward you are not defective! They're for the other side of the house!"

True experience: Once had a Builder who would budget and not pay me to reverse a set of drawings to show the front attached garage would be
on the left side when looking from the Street. Instead they just wrote "Reverse Plan" on my drawings and issued them. A foundation cribber
who was new to the industry here then confirmed ... "I completely understand that the garage is now to be in the backyard" ... I could write a book with this stuff
over my 40+ years of experiences ... doing West Edmonton Mall drawings and site visits was an absolute howl … but I'd rather go Boating on this thread :Biggrin:

... I will stay clear of sharing my MRAIC & P.Eng. experiences at the risk of being banned from here ... :angelic:

Last edited:
This C.Tech. might as well add a comment regarding cost over-run experience ... :Biggrin:

Two simple carpenters were contracted to work on a house. One was nailing down siding and would reach into his nail pouch, pull out a nail and either toss it over his shoulder or nail it in.
The other, figuring this was worth looking into, asked, "Why are you throwing those nails away?"
The first explained, "If I pull a nail out of my pouch and it's pointed toward me, I throw it away 'cause it's defective. If it's pointed toward the house, then I nail it in!"
The second simpleton got completely upset and yelled, "You moron! The nails pointed toward you are not defective! They're for the other side of the house!"

True experience: Once had a Builder who would budget and not pay me to reverse a set of drawings to show the front attached garage would be
on the left side when looking from the Street. Instead they just wrote "Reverse Plan" on my drawings and issued them. A foundation cribber
who was new to the industry here then confirmed ... "I completely understand that the garage is now to be in the backyard" ... I could write a book with this stuff
over my 40+ years of experiences ... but I'd rather go Boating :Biggrin:

... I will stay clear of sharing my MRAIC & P.Eng. experiences at the risk of being banned from here ... :angelic:
Yah, the Civil Eng Tech does alot of the grunt. It's still the guy or gal with the license and stamps it who is gotta check the work and is insured. Hopefully the CET has the workup (calculation) tables in the set to expedite the the PE's review.
Nuff said. I agree, the discussion is for another forum.
Back to the cottage tomorrow for some fun on the water

over my 40+ years of experiences ... but I'd rather go Boating :Biggrin:

Yuppers. I agree. I can get carried away with construction issues.

Yah, the Civil Eng Tech does alot of the grunt. It's still the guy or gal with the license and stamps it who is gotta check the work and is insured. Hopefully the CET has the workup (calculation) tables in the set to expedite the the PE's review.
Nuff said. I agree, the discussion is for another forum.
Back to the cottage tomorrow for some fun on the water

Yuppers. I agree. I can get carried away with construction issues.
I spent 42 years as a Civil CET. Yes there are too many bad contractor, bad engineering stories. I am retired and I'm now going for a drive in the vette.

This morning I took the boat to the lake to break in the cam and set the timing.
I left the boat on the trailer to break in and timing adjustments.

Ran it for a half hour with the idle turned up to 2200 rpm blipping the throttle the whole time.

After I was happy with everything I took it for a quick rip around the lake.

GPS says I hit 87 kph so I’m happy with the performance,I’m sure as things loosen up over the next few hours of use it may pick up a couple of klicks.
Cheers 🍻
E3E40D60-39E6-4065-99EF-B510012967BE.jpeg
D815D230-14B2-4874-B2BB-158AF4A1CE5C.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread