10A78801-0B13-429D-872E-19E90303BB28.jpeg

Same here,an inch or two overnight. More coming today according to local news.

this sucks.... snow pack will still take 2 or so more weeks to melt here in Edmonton.

Remember if you drive in the Edmonton spring rain you might get that calcium stuff they used all winter mixed in and on your car. They say it will rust metal cars faster, not sure what it will do to Corvettes

When you see all the white in the spring rains on the roads that is salt. Takes till June till it is gone.

:(

B

Reactions: YFCvii
Move to Omemee where the sun always shines. No snow in sight and I counted 21 robins in our yard yesterday just looking out our windows. Half a dozen today. The ever vigilant highways people however have the salt and sand down in layers just in case.

Reactions: HardyZ06
this sucks.... snow pack will still take 2 or so more weeks to melt here in Edmonton.

Remember if you drive in the Edmonton spring rain you might get that calcium stuff they used all winter mixed in and on your car. They say it will rust metal cars faster, not sure what it will do to Corvettes

When you see all the white in the spring rains on the roads that is salt. Takes till June till it is gone.

:(

B
Thanks for the warning ... thank god I our Corvettes are not a ford ;)
... there's similar crap here in YYC too as well as something "pink" at times being put down after plowing

Last edited:
Talk to any mechanic in Ontario and they will tell you all about the damage being done by the calcium chloride brine. With the wheels on our 2005, all the brake parts are in view and WILL rust when exposed to the brine and road salt. When the roads are dry, the dust blows up in, settling where ever until it gets wet. Then the rust begins. I like to see two or three good rains before ever thinking of taking our cars out. It's a 2005, never seen salt, never on the road before about the third weekend in April. No visible rust on anything so far. Just the moisture in humid summer air will eventually cause rust on bare metal but takes a long time. The brine rots everything and can even get past the GM weather pack electrical connectors. We have had a 2005 Jimmy since new. The rear disc brakes including backing plates have all been replaced along with the brake lines. The driver side exhaust manifold was almost rusted through and the oil dip stick tube rusted out. This is with a vehicle that gets undercoated every year. The pink that you mention might just be beet juice. There has been talk about using it but I know nothing about it and its effectiveness.

Thanks for the warning ... thank god I our Corvettes are not a ford ;)
... there's similar crap here in YYC too as well as something "pink" at times being put down after plowing

OH, it is being used there too. ok, thought we were the only place.

They are spraying it 12-24 hours before the snowfall.

It seems like less potholes here this spring from it..... and less rock chips / cracks from it ( windshield shops will hate the use of this stuff )

Actually some roads seemed icier after using this on it, a few guys with winter ice tires pointed this out.

B

Talk to any mechanic in Ontario and they will tell you all about the damage being done by the calcium chloride brine. With the wheels on our 2005, all the brake parts are in view and WILL rust when exposed to the brine and road salt. When the roads are dry, the dust blows up in, settling where ever until it gets wet. Then the rust begins. I like to see two or three good rains before ever thinking of taking our cars out. It's a 2005, never seen salt, never on the road before about the third weekend in April. No visible rust on anything so far. Just the moisture in humid summer air will eventually cause rust on bare metal but takes a long time. The brine rots everything and can even get past the GM weather pack electrical connectors. We have had a 2005 Jimmy since new. The rear disc brakes including backing plates have all been replaced along with the brake lines. The driver side exhaust manifold was almost rusted through and the oil dip stick tube rusted out. This is with a vehicle that gets undercoated every year. The pink that you mention might just be beet juice. There has been talk about using it but I know nothing about it and its effectiveness.

Good info.. always wondered about this.

This kinda reduces the safe driving timeline to early June till mid/late September.

Sucks.

B

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
My son has a 1 year old Ford F250 diesel. It started acting funny in the fall. It had only been driven through one winter. It developed more and more electrical gremlins. Dealership couldn't figure it out at first. He had to drive around with a scanner to clear the codes every time it hit limp mode. They finally tore it down last month. In the shop for 2 weeks. They replaced 8 harnesses and a couple fried computers. The harness connectors had dissolved to dust and shorted everything out. Moral of the story - the Vette is parked until the roads clean up! I'm sure it would fair better, it's not a Ford! But not taking the chance. I plan on being buried in this car many years from now.

Reactions: Riley P
My son has a 1 year old Ford F250 diesel. It started acting funny in the fall. It had only been driven through one winter. It developed more and more electrical gremlins. Dealership couldn't figure it out at first. He had to drive around with a scanner to clear the codes every time it hit limp mode. They finally tore it down last month. In the shop for 2 weeks. They replaced 8 harnesses and a couple fried computers. The harness connectors had dissolved to dust and shorted everything out. Moral of the story - the Vette is parked until the roads clean up! I'm sure it would fair better, it's not a Ford! But not taking the chance. I plan on being buried in this car many years from now.

Here, in Southern Ontario, 43F is the highest temperature forecast for the next week. That is not summer and it doesn't sound like we are going to get a lot of rain to wash all the salt away either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.