Were those the narrow gauge tracks? I don't think NFL (not football) ever converted to the wider gauge.

Yes it was a narrow gauge railway. The Sir Robert Bond (recently sold for scrap) was the rail car ferry. When trains were brought over from the mainland, the trucks had to be changed over to the narrow gauge. And thus the speed of the trains were much reduced.

Pics mandatory!! :thumbs:

Absolutely!

The rail system in Newfoundland was pretty extensive at one time according to this map...

If I got the caption right there is still some track usable at some location. This "mad max" looking speeder seems to have found those tracks...Cool looking machine. Can't figure if you sit in it or on it.

View attachment 28509
From what I can gather, you sit on this. They had a piece on TV last fall about those old pieces being restored and put on the 1 mile or so section of track thats left in Avondale.

Pep, found this story which is an interesting read. Economy was important, guess it was cheaper to build narrow gauge, less land needed for sure. In the long run not sure the argument could be made that it was indeed cheaper.

Speaking of Canada railways,you might recall this scenery. This is “Morants Curve” between Castle junction and Lake Louise off the Bow Valley parkway. So picturesque,it was on the back of the old $20.00 bill. I’ll try to get a vid of the Rocky Mountaineer train coming eastbound this summer.

8E27E164-10B4-44EF-8ABA-C2D6727C8E41.jpeg

Here's what I need to go back to Jasper for. Almost 5 decades and wondering how much of this is still there
from the days of my Grandfather and the Jasper Park Lodge. I am just over a month away from my trip thru
Jasper toward a couple of days of Langley Fun.

View attachment 28558

View attachment 28557

View attachment 28559
It would be cool Spence if you could find those same spots the pics were taken. Hence any changes in landscape since mind you.

Users who are viewing this thread