Leigh Valley RR 2097 Baldwin 4 -6 -2 Pacific Type Locomotive...It ran the "Black Diamond" route in Pennsylvania.

Bowness Park Murray is just down the street from Angels Drive inn. It was heavily damaged in the flood of 2013 and during the rebuild.they found some funds to get the miniature train back up and running. It had been in disrepair long before 2013 and was a sad sight to see to be honest.

The whole park was rebuilt with new buildings, a new park cafe,winter fire pits,new raft launch area,new playground and re-opened a few years ago. Myself, I believe the train had some private investors to help get it back up.

I think every kid in Calgary has been on that train at some point. I first rode on it mid 70s.

Many years ago, my Dad used to make different fiberglass bodies for the engines for a park operator, I think it was in the Bowmanville area. But that was about 25-30 years ago. Maybe longer.

He had about 7 different shells that were all interchangeable.

I am a grandchild of a CNR Steam Engineer. I was on the train every weekend to and from Edmonton and Jasper mid 1960’s to early 1970’s
View attachment 25752
Grandpa operated the Power House & Laundry at the Jasper Park Lodge.
View attachment 25753View attachment 25754

Who knew my first position in my career was working with the Architect (Sunderland) who designed the iconic Edmonton CN Tower (1966).
I worked along side Sunderland for West Edmonton Mall and Mall of America - among many other fascinating projects.
View attachment 25751

I love trains !!! 😁👍🏻

I was at a HUGE Annual train show last weekend in Calgary
@Zeeman28a ... here you go BigBoy 😁👍🏻
View attachment 25749
With a Corvette and a Pickup to relate the scale of this BigBoy.

This one much larger in scale and all operational.
View attachment 25750

I am pretty sure that @Bluvette75 can add much more about BigBoy ... 😁👍🏻
Yes I can add more detail. The first pic is of Big Boy 4012 which is an Accucraft brass model in 1/32 scale. It weighs about 35lbs (combined engine and tender). The second pic is Big Boy 4014 which is a die cast model in 1/29 scale and weighs about 75lbs (combined engine and tender). It is mounted to the 2x6 you see under it with the wheels just slightly elevated above the tracks. With a turn of the dial on the controller the 16 drive wheels come to life, along with the lights and sound system. Both models shown run on the same scale track. Had anyone been at Supertrain late Saturday or Sunday morning I had 4012 running on the Rocky Mountain Garden Railroad Society's layout pulling the money train (donations to children's hospital).

4014 is the one being restored to operation and is almost complete. It will be leaving Cheyenne next Saturday 04 May double heading with UP's Northern locomotive #844 going to Ogden, Utah arriving 09 May. If you want to know more about it you can join Union Pacific's Facebook page plus view some videos on YouTube.

The Union Pacific "Big Boy" 4012 has undergone restoration and is set to return to the rails May/June 2019. They have had a fire in the box testing steam pressure. 4012 is unique in that it was never taken out of service by UP, just sent for a rest so to speak.

Spence very interesting history and some nice train show pics. :thumbs:

No idea so many were interested in locomotives. Great stuff.

4012 is massive

View attachment 25757View attachment 25756
It's actually 4014 undergoing restoration to running condition. 4012 pictured here will be getting a cosmetic restoration from the crews at Steamtown in Scranton, PA where it permanently resides. 4014 was preserved in Pomona, CA but was reacquired by Union Pacific in 2012 and towed to Cheyenne in 2013 for restoration to full operational status. It will make it's maiden voyage after full restoration on May the 4th. This restoration is being watched by train buffs around the world as Big Boy is one of the largest locomotives ever built. 25 built in 1941 and 1944 - 8 survived the torches.

Same here.

My favorite is the Union Pacific Big Boy. Used to have a plastic model of it back in the day. Would love to get my hands on a diecast or one of the O scale models but damn are they expensive.
Big Boy is my favourite as well. I'm trying to collect all 25 cab numbers in HO scale - without renumbering any. I'm missing 8 but have a couple of duplicates and one unpainted brass model. I also have two in G guage and two in N scale and a plastic HO model of a "Canadian Pacific" Big Boy!

It would take someone with awfully deep pockets to have one of these brutes restored. There are people in the USA who do this. It would be something to see, on of these roaring by at a level crossing. This is the one on display at Haliburtorn.
A CN 2-8-0 "Consolidation" that was spared from the torches. Thanks for the pic.

4014 has quite a history.

Big Boy No. 4014 was delivered to Union Pacific in December 1941. The locomotive was retired in December 1961, having traveled 1,031,205 miles in its 20 years in service.

Bluevette 75 would love to see some pics of your collection. Like to know more about the Canadian Pacific Big Boy. :thumbs:

What a nice surprise, or maybe not so much of a surprise, to see so much interest in old trains. I just started with HO scale about 2 years ago and my layout is primarily steam related so I really enjoyed all these pictures. Since I started my interest in trains and their environment has really grown. This summer, if it arrives I plan to go to take the vette for a visit to Steamtown. It will be the perfect combination of two interests. Thanks for starting this thread and to all those wonderful pictures.

Ourwully, it would be great to see some pictures of your scale railroad. Incredible the realism and dedications that go into these recreations.

Not sure if you have ever read a book by Sam Posey call "Playing with Trains". It is a wonderful insight into the building scale railroads. Posey was a professional race car driver, Can Am, Indy, F5000, Endurance racing and he was skilled at that but I always thought he was an incredible writer. He wrote for Road & Track and his wife Ellen did the illustrations for the stories. A talented couple. His book on racing "The Mudge Pond Express" in my opinion is one of the best books ever written about the career of a race car driver.

Thanks for chiming in.

Reactions: nascar03

Users who are viewing this thread