• Total voters

CCO

Old Timer
Aug 5, 2011
Cambridge ON
VetteCoins
Car
2006 vert, 1994 vert
Are there others who are as excited about the new auto option for the forthcoming Z06 as I am?

Makes sense to me since Ferrari, Lambhorgini and Porsche have autos -- why not Corvette?

Same goes for the removable top.

I hope GM prices it as well as they have the StingRay.

Ya or Nay -- let's hear it.

C.

It is the quicker way, but it doesn't have the same fun factor.

Also seems ironic, with that much torque it could get away with a two speed :)

I drive an automatic but for some reason I wish they had kept one model as a manual.

It may also be driven by the marketing boys "my auto has more gears than yours?

But to answer your question Colin, yes, it's very exciting technology. Soon they'll have as many gears as my bike.

I like it Colin... though the manual guys will probably be not to thrilled.

Lightning shifts with this new 8 speed

It's not like GM is taking away the manual (as they had in the past) Peter.
The manual is still there for purists now there's a more exciting auto with, as you say, lightning shifting and better mileage.

It is the quicker way, but it doesn't have the same fun factor.

Also seems ironic, with that much torque it could get away with a two speed :)

I drive an automatic but for some reason I wish they had kept one model as a manual.

It may also be driven by the marketing boys "my auto has more gears than yours?

But to answer your question Colin, yes, it's very exciting technology. Soon they'll have as many gears as my bike.

Sure, to keep pace Wayne, but it's getting harder and harder to attain the CAFE reg's and the extra gears have proven to help with that.

From a gearhead's point of view the extra shifting is a whole lot of fun. I had one in a Lexus ISF and can vouch for the fun factor.

What a transformation from the days of the Powerglide.:rofl:

C.

the only downside I have heard, re autoshift with 7 / 8 gears
is that the car seems to continually changing gears. Don't know if this
would become an irritant ??

Tony
welland

For me no irritant at all Tony -- I love to feel the shifting of the gears and count them off the same as if I'm doing the shifting in a manual.

It may be an irritant for some but not me...

Another plus to having more gears it that the engine is kept in the power band better. I forgot to mention that before.

C.

I'm looking forward to taking one on a test drive it think it will be fun and the 8 speed should be different I think it is a great idea

Some consider it a chore to either shift many gears or are upset by all the shifting even in auto mode, but it really is fun if you're that way inclined.

I think you'll like it, Jason.

I can see it going in the '15 StingRay too.

Smart move by GM -- I'm impressed.

C.

After this year the Lambo will no longer be offered with a manual tranny in any of it's models. They have said their buyers want automatics as a rule. Wonder if Ferrari will also go that route....? Wonder what happened to the CVT tranny as an option?

After this year the Lambo will no longer be offered with a manual tranny in any of it's models. They have said their buyers want automatics as a rule. Wonder if Ferrari will also go that route....? Wonder what happened to the CVT tranny as an option?

I drove a Ferrari "Italia" this summer with a 7 spd paddle shifter and it was amazing!!!

I just hope they keep producing manual transmissions as a choice in all or most cars. It looks like European drivers' influence/preference is what keeps many manufacturers producing manual boxes at least for those markets.
David

I believe that the purist will keep the manual tranny alive in our market.
I sure hope they do too.

C.

With over 80% of the new Corvettes sold being automatic, GM would be missing out on a big part of the market by not offering automatic. It really doesn't matter to me what others drive. They drive what works for them. Dale and I like our stick shift vehicles, that and lots of horsepower. If I were going racing, it would definitely be automatic, but for the street we just enjoy the shifting as being a big part of our driving experience.

To each their own. That's fair.

There was a time I liked shifting and bought standard exclusively......

The standard tranny option is still very popular and hopefully won't die out over time.

To be perfectly candid, I'm relieved that GM now will put automatics in super hi performance like the Z06 instead of restrictiing them to standard trannies.
I think it's a very attractive change and will boost sales immeasurably.

Colin.