Z06 Auto or Manual

• Yay

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
With over 80% of the new Corvettes sold being automatic, GM would be missing out on a big part of the market by not offering automatic. It really doesn't matter to me what others drive. They drive what works for them. Dale and I like our stick shift vehicles, that and lots of horsepower. If I were going racing, it would definitely be automatic, but for the street we just enjoy the shifting as being a big part of our driving experience.

right on the money keith. for a street driven hot rod/cruiser a manual is a beautiful thing, but for drag racing - gimme a slush box :D

We have three cars, one 6spd manual, one 6spd auto, and one with a 6spd auto with the tiptronic & paddle shift option.
I have played with the paddles now & then, but is just not the same as shifting with a clutch to me.
I seem to just keep the car in drive mode and forget about the paddles.
Great for a daily driver though.

Just my opinion, I like a sports car with a stick & a clutch, but in traffic the clutch can suck.

I do like the removable roof option. This is the only reason I don't own a C5 Z06.

But as others have said, the more options the better.:canada:

Z06 purists will be PO'ed, but I think it's a great option for people who want the Z06 experience and haven't been able to before. Todays auto transmissions are a lifetime better than previous version, especially autos with a double clutch gearbox. Look at Ferrari, Lamborghini and the Lexus LFA to name a few. It obviously works and is there for a reason. I'd like to try both versions and see the difference.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Z06 purists will be PO'ed, but I think it's a great option for people who want the Z06 experience and haven't been able to before. Todays auto transmissions are a lifetime better than previous version, especially autos with a double clutch gearbox. Look at Ferrari, Lamborghini and the Lexus LFA to name a few. It obviously works and is there for a reason. I'd like to try both versions and see the difference.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I had an IS-F (Lex) that shifted very quickly .. Lexus advertised it at 100ms...which is racecar speed .... awesome.......
I love autos in hi-po cars----- suits me to a tee.

Nice that GM is pleasing auto lovers too.

C.

The way I see it, I was thinking that adding an auto was watering down the rawness of what the Z06 is supposed to be. Then, a realistic, normal thought entered my head. If I want a manual transmission and a manual is an option, why would I care if they offer an auto? They could offer it with a DCT, power glide, or non synchro tranny for all it should matter to me. Funny how people want a car offered how they want it and all other peoples desires aren't important. I think people worry that if they offer the Z06 with too many options, it will make too many people happy and then gm will sell too many Z06's and it won't be exclusive anymore. People that don't want autos or other options are just worried the car will lose its look at me status. Or, maybe they are worried if they sell 80% autos, they'll drop the manuals. Fair enough but if they only offered it as a manual and only sold 20% of what they could have, then maybe they just wouldn't make the Z06 anymore. So as I see it, the auto may be keeping the Z06 alive. Good enough reason for me to have them offer it as an option and I can't see gm dropping the manual anytime soon.

Personally, I wish it had a fixed roof only so people wouldn't ask me to take the roof off. I like the closed in cockpit feel, but really, it is better with a removable roof as I'm sure more people will like that option.

That's right Riley -- It's not like GM is nixing the manual tranny option -- They just wouldn't do that to the manual enthusiast (and I believe they shouldn't).

Offering the auto just makes it more desirable to a larger market.

I'm thinking some of the criticism comes from the image of a true sports car having an auto -- I say if it's good for the likes of Porsche, Lambo., and Ferrari then why not Z06..... It just makes sense.

You can bet GM has done their homework on this and knows the demand for such an option. I'm very glad they're listening.

The automatic of today is getting very hard to beat.

Good point, Doug, I've 'rowed' cars for years .... Now I enjoy something a little easier on the bod.

C.

As someone who grew up not owning or knowing anyone that drove and had a manual transmission....I would take an auto ANY day. I have driven manuals in parking lots never really getting out of second gear just to learn...but for some people it was hard to find a friend to say "teach me".

Additionally, as already mentioned it makes life a little easier for some. When I tore my ACL in my left leg in high school I would have been screwed trying to clutch with 3 metal rods in a full leg brace....I could barely fit my leg in the car with it on