Dec 29, 2022
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Took a road trip to Chicago with my wife for a few days. On the last day we went to a beach. Lot was about half full, we parked off to the side where there were no other parked cars. Walked to the pay station, and realized I forgot my wallet. Turn around and see a Honda CRV pull in and park right next to us. As I'm walking back over I notice the passenger get out, go to get something out of the back of the CRV. I walk to our driver's door as he's coming back around and see him holding an OBD tool. I ask him "Why are you parked right next to me in an empty part of the lot, and have an OBD tool in your hand?" "It's my OBD tool!" "Why don't you park elsewhere, I don't want my door dinged" "OK, sorry man!" Gets in and they take off... Saw a cop nearby and gave a description, but missed the plate.

I'm guessing they were sitting in the lot fishing for key signals, got mine, and were going to try to start it with the OBD tool?

Thankfully we didn't have to try OnStar's recovery...

On the plus side the C8 is a GREAT road trip car!! Even managed mid 8l/100 for the entire trip!!

We are thinking about going on a road trip to Nashville but I am apprehensive about it due to possible safety and theft.
Lets face it our cars stand out for sure.

We are thinking about going on a road trip to Nashville but I am apprehensive about it due to possible safety and theft.
Lets face it our cars stand out for sure.
They are more common south of the border than here so stand out but not nearly as much as here.

Nashville with proximity to NCM and BGA has a lot of Vettes on the road going for visits.

Look carefully for hotels you book, some are quite secure ( our hotel in Louisville shared parking lots with sheriff department ).

It’s a fun roadtrip for sure.

These guys were on our car in less than 2 minutes. I'm sure in addition to the OBD tool the guy had, they also likely had every tool needed to defeat any anti-theft device they would encounter in the back of that CRV. Reading more on it thieves are disabling OnStar in minutes. Just bought 2 faraday bags, and will be keeping my keys in them at home and on the road. Can easily see now how thieves could cruise motel parking lots scanning for key signals. The thing that impressed/scared me about this was that it was beach parking lot on a sunny afternoon... Even if we had things like a Faraday bag for the key, or other anti-theft devices, we are unlikely to have used them there.

Steering wheel locks are a good deterrent as it takes thieves time to cut through them. Sign of the times unfortunately.
They don't cut the steering wheel lock bar. They do cut the steering wheel with a battery operated sawsall. Takes just a few seconds. The best deterrent or preventive is an ignition lockout system.

These guys were on our car in less than 2 minutes. I'm sure in addition to the OBD tool the guy had, they also likely had every tool needed to defeat any anti-theft device they would encounter in the back of that CRV. Reading more on it thieves are disabling OnStar in minutes. Just bought 2 faraday bags, and will be keeping my keys in them at home and on the road. Can easily see now how thieves could cruise motel parking lots scanning for key signals. The thing that impressed/scared me about this was that it was beach parking lot on a sunny afternoon... Even if we had things like a Faraday bag for the key, or other anti-theft devices, we are unlikely to have used them there.
They are a very good idea. Easy to get in the habit of putting your fob in it when you get out of your car. The ones I ordered also have two compartments in them and my license and insurance folder fits in the outer one perfectly. Recommended. Well made and very reasonable in price.

Reactions: slegros
I generally keep this in the car and my FOB in it after the car has been started. It works incredibly well. A little bulkier than the key FOB itself, but it can also be attached to your belt buckle or your wife's purse. :)

How is that possible. If I put the key in he faraday pouch after the car is started it says the key is missing. I'm not sure, but I thought it would only run for 10 minutes with the key missing. Still, I don't see the point of doing it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
The car will actually run until you turn it off. After that, it won't start if it can't see the FOB.

Next week I'm getting a kill switch installed in the car... It will disable the start/stop button.

The car will actually run until you turn it off. After that, it won't start if it can't see the FOB.

Next week I'm getting a kill switch installed in the car... It will disable the start/stop button.
Why bother? PArk in the garage, set the parking brake, arm and lock the car automatically when the door closes. it's virtually impossible to steal without alarms going off. They'd have to break the window climb in attach a OBD tool to bypass the key and then silence the alarm, disable OnStar etc. Any thief will move on to another car and not bother with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
We have TAG. Nobody touches that, unless you have a routine and you are followed. Then cover the car with a shield and tow it. As for me, car companies should put an alarm/buzzer/beep etc. on all fobs. This way, if your car gets broken into, while in a shopping center etc., you get a warning.

Reactions: Murray20c8
We have TAG. Nobody touches that, unless you have a routine and you are followed. Then cover the car with a shield and tow it. As for me, car companies should put an alarm/buzzer/beep etc. on all fobs. This way, if your car gets broken into, while in a shopping center etc., you get a warning.
Every time your alarm goes off OnStar sends an email alert.

Reactions: Bunny Hop
Reactions: Cobravenomous