Oct 31, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
‘21 HTC
Province
BC
Has anybody tried out the Range Technology AFM Disabler in their C8? Many have used them on their C7s. I have one that I use in my GMC Sierra with the 6.2. I would think it’s compatible? I emailed the company and they wrote back to say they hadn’t tested it on the C8s yet.

Has anybody tried out the Range Technology AFM Disabler in their C8? Many have used them on their C7s. I have one that I use in my GMC Sierra with the 6.2. I would think it’s compatible? I emailed the company and they wrote back to say they hadn’t tested it on the C8s yet.
I like AFM

OK well the reason I might want to use this in my C8 is the same reason I bought it for my Sierra. GM has a problem with the AFM causing lifter damage. I had to replace one bank of valves on my Sierra last Fall to the tune of 3k. The tech told me they had several in the shop for the problem, some under warranty and some not (mine wasn’t). I had the same problem with my 2007 Avalanche with the 5.3l. Just Google GM AFM problems and you’ll see. The C8 also has this system; the reason for the disabler is to prevent this issue.

Ya, like why would I want to do that?
I also think you can set the Z mode button for race (track?) which disables it.
Not a great idea to be driving around in track mode all the time. In fact, at Ron Fellows they recommended never using track mode on the street unless you want to crack a rim. See my post below about why I’d want to disable the AFM. I’ve had 2 bad experiences with it already. And, incidentally I’m also the one whose C8 engine blew up last August. Thrice bitten.

Range does not work on the C8. l bought one two years ago and it sets off a Check Engine Light.

Reactions: MKC8 and Skahaman
OK well the reason I might want to use this in my C8 is the same reason I bought it for my Sierra. GM has a problem with the AFM causing lifter damage. I had to replace one bank of valves on my Sierra last Fall to the tune of 3k. The tech told me they had several in the shop for the problem, some under warranty and some not (mine wasn’t). I had the same problem with my 2007 Avalanche with the 5.3l. Just Google GM AFM problems and you’ll see. The C8 also has this system; the reason for the disabler is to prevent this issue.
I have an avalanche I use for driving to work that had the same problem. Lifter stuck one day. Luckily it released so I bought a range unit before I drove it any more and Jane had no problems since. In my 2016 Silverado I’ve deleted it as soon as warranty ran out and no problems. Might have to try something similar on the C8.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they just shut off the fuel to 4 cylinders. No mechanicals stop working.
That means all components are being oiled. That means a stuck lifter has nothing to do with AFM at all!
It collapses the lifters as well as cuts fuel. There are pins in the lifter that lock it in position when it’s active. Uses oil pressure to activate and deactivate.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
It collapses the lifters as well as cuts fuel. There are pins in the lifter that lock it in position when it’s active. Uses oil pressure to activate and deactivate.
Still, the amount of time the car is in 4 cylinder mode is tiny compared to the run time of the engine. At least the way I drive. Can't speak for trucks either, but you'd think it would be even less..

Still, the amount of time the car is in 4 cylinder mode is tiny compared to the run time of the engine. At least the way I drive. Can't speak for trucks either, but you'd think it would be even less..
My trucks kicked in several times every time I drove them but I don’t live in a city either. Vette I haven’t drove enough yet.

Not a great idea to be driving around in track mode all the time. In fact, at Ron Fellows they recommended never using track mode on the street unless you want to crack a rim. See my post below about why I’d want to disable the AFM. I’ve had 2 bad experiences with it already. And, incidentally I’m also the one whose C8 engine blew up last August. Thrice bitten.
Any further details on why not to use track mode on the street and how that relates to rim durability? Is it because it stiffens the springs too much, so the force is all absorbed by the tires/rims?

Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.