Sorry I don't have an answer but Google bought Waze and will be decommissioning it soon. Doubt If they will be offering any support and won't be upgraded of course. Aren't monopolies wonderful?

Unless you know something I don't Waze isn't going away any time soon. Google bought them in 2013 and waze is updated pretty frequently.

Waze will be showing your speed based on its GPS reading.

If it is consistenly low by the same value, and it's not off by a large amount, it's likely that it's showing your real speed as your speedometre in the car has a tolerance of +/- 1 or 2 kmph.

With my summer tires (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500) at OEM size, the speedo and GPS show the same speed. Put on a set of Michelin Pilot Aplin tires and now my speedo is 2kmph faster than the GPS, even at the same size tire.

YMMV.

That's more than likely the issue here. If you're getting similar results with different phones it's very likely your speedo is off.

It has been a slow process, they needed to integrate some of the WAZE features into Google maps and have now done that. The end game is to get all WAZE users to migrate to (or back to) Google. They are making it redundent. "Waze won’t die immediately, of course. It will be a slow demise, since it will take some time for Google Maps users to start using the new social features and for Waze users to migrate. But migrate they will."

It has been a slow process, they needed to integrate some of the WAZE features into Google maps and have now done that. The end game is to get all WAZE users to migrate to (or back to) Google. They are making it redundent. "Waze won’t die immediately, of course. It will be a slow demise, since it will take some time for Google Maps users to start using the new social features and for Waze users to migrate. But migrate they will."

Whilst I don't disagree that that may have been the intent at time of consideration and purchase I no longer pretend to guess at Google's strategy that seems to be more anarchistic than anything structured. They go through products and lifecycles like I go through gas. I'm currently of the opinion that Waze will continue to co-exist as a product (see new carpooling strategy) as I am not seeing any meaningful steps to bridge the gap between the products (nothing akin to other acquisitions by Alphabet). Unless you're an insider (and I know a few who are just as clueless as I am) with direct knowledge....

So we have WAZE on two phones.In fact I have a new phone, so we've had 3!
All iPhones; but different versions.
In the Corvette if we use Apple Car Play and one of the phones plugged in (behind the screen, or in the console) the speed we're going is shown accurately as a feature of WAZE and shown on the phone screen, and its accurate. So say the phone screen shows 82 klicks
The screen in the Corvette will show a speed like 57 klicks. And it varies with speed. Yes. km's because we're Canadian.

Park the c7 Corvette. Take out the Jeep Wrangler (2019). Using Apple Car Play in the Jeep the speed on the WAZE screen of the Jeep is accurate. Same as the speed shown on WAZE on the phone screen.

edit The Apple Car Play WAZE speed displayed is always about 45% lower than the speedometer speed. My concern: do we have the latest updates from GM for the car? The dealer said they had updated everything, including NAV as we had written in the offer to purchase. It's a used car...C7

Last edited:
Google maps....waze....I like the format in WAZE. I like the road condition reports, and networking that gives police reports. There are so many wazers that the reports are pretty accurate.
I don't find google maps very helpful, and don't use it as gps. Maybe I'm missing something.

Google maps....waze....I like the format in WAZE. I like the road condition reports, and networking that gives police reports. There are so many wazers that the reports are pretty accurate.
I don't find google maps very helpful, and don't use it as gps. Maybe I'm missing something.

These are all features that have been added to Google Maps over the past year or so.

Reactions: 2mnycars
So we have WAZE on two phones.In fact I have a new phone, so we've had 3!
All iPhones; but different versions.
In the Corvette if we use Apple Car Play and one of the phones plugged in (behind the screen, or in the console) the speed we're going is shown accurately as a feature of WAZE and shown on the phone screen, and its accurate. So say the phone screen shows 82 klicks
The screen in the Corvette will show a speed like 57 klicks. And it varies with speed. Yes. km's because we're Canadian.

Park the c7 Corvette. Take out the Jeep Wrangler (2019). Using Apple Car Play in the Jeep the speed on the WAZE screen of the Jeep is accurate. Same as the speed shown on WAZE on the phone screen.

edit The Apple Car Play WAZE speed displayed is always about 45% lower than the speedometer speed. My concern: do we have the latest updates from GM for the car? The dealer said they had updated everything, including NAV as we had written in the offer to purchase. It's a used car...C7

Not exactly the same, but related:

"According to Waze, this is a known problem with GPS with Ford Sync 3. In some cars/applications, it manifests itself as an inaccuracy to both GPS position and actual speed derived from change in GPS position of the Ford Sync module. In others, it just shows up as an actual speed inaccuracy.

Apple CarPlay gets its actual speed information from the head unit's GPS system (I guess its one of their hardware specifications that manufacturers have to implement for CarPlay), but since Waze is the only phone-based navigation app that has a feature showing actual speed (Apple Maps and Google Maps I think do not), the problem with inaccurate speeds only manifests itself when the Speed Limit feature is enabled on Waze and Waze is connected to a Ford Sync 3 head unit with Apple CarPlay.

The native app on the phone will work fine, as will Ford Sync's direct (SDL) integration with Waze (since that integration relies on the phone's GPS for location and actual speed).

According to both Waze and Apple, there is nothing either can do to fix it, nor does Apple provide any option switches to override this information with information from the phone's GPS. Rather, both say that Ford must patch/fix/replace the Sync unit so that it delivers the correct information to Apple CarPlay, which Waze then uses and displays.

Sadly, I've had to completely disable the Speed Limit feature in Waze because the problem is that annoying in my 2018 Ford Escape. Both my Ford dealer and Sync technical support acknowledge that many Sync 3 head units have been reported to have similar issues with GPS, but as of now, there is no fix/patch/update available for it, nor would anyone speak to whether it would or could be updated with a patch (as opposed to requiring a hardware replacement). From the limited research I have done, it looks like the problems have to do with recently-changed GPS specifications to accommodate the shifting magnetic poles, and it could very well be likely that the generation of GPS hardware used in many of our cars will never be able to correctly support this function again. We'll see what they say, but as of now, there are no updates or hardware replacement options (unless I buy a replacement APIM, which isn't guaranteed to not have the same problem)."

Source:

When plugged into CarPlay, WAZE gets its GPS data from the car. If it hasn't been integrated quite right, your speed info will be off. You're not the only one experiencing this problem. At this point, there is no fix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread