Steve, Is the Oil dripping on the outside of the exhaust and running down the pipe or is it coming from inside the exhaust system?

It would be nice to get it on a lift and have a good look under the car. If you can make it down to Ponoka, I have a lift and an OBD 1 scanner.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
as far as i know it appears to be coming from inside. as per the video i posted earlier in this thread. and the other thing thats confusing is that ive already read the codes and posted definitions of the code ealier in the thread too. the only code is 36.

as for bringing it to Ponoka...... IF it even made it that far, it would probably be in a ball of flames. right now it can only run a few minutes without the idle dropping as well as the battery voltage hitting 12.0

20863610_602794056775419_3289985683996846164_o.jpg
so from what i found dripping under the vette, appears to be transmition fluid?

Do you have a cooler line running through there dripping on your exhaust? I'm no expert on your (or any other vintage) but something or things simple is very often the cause.
DG

Steve I found this: Easy to look at and might be worth checking for your idle issue.

ROUGH OR ERRATIC IDLE

The erratic idle (both high and low) is more than likely caused by a vacuum leak. The main cause of this is that the top plate bolts become loose on the stock manifold and the throttle body shafts are worn out and leaking. The shafts go bad generally at around 50,000 miles and need to be bushed.

Another item that often causes rough or erratic idle is a bad coolant temperature sensor. It is the Coolant Temperature Sensor that screws into the front of the crossfire manifold and has a small plastic shield around it. Replace the sensor with the newer two pin weather pack type. Do not wrap the threads with Teflon tape when installing the new sensor as the threads/sensor body provides a ground through the block.

A third, possible cause for rough or erratic idle is a bad oxygen sensor.

You may want to check your vent line on the transmission as there is a internet debate suggesting low vacuum possibly caused by a bad vac modulator or broken line somewhere may cause transmission oil to blow out the vent.

Did you find a OBD1 code reader yet? Lots of threads suggesting a code 32 for this low idle/vacuum issue related to the EGR.

It is very possible your 2 major issues are related as they appeared at the same time. A simple fix would be good to find rather than getting bent over in a shop.

Let us know.

D

i have a journeyman mechanic coming next week to lift it and diagnose the issue. this one is beyond my field of knowledge. ill update then. its cheaper to do that then spend $ on getting a lift and trying to figure it out myself.

another thing just started today. i started the vette so the battery can get some juice whilst its sitting around waiting for a mechanic. there now is a rattling coming from the engine area and when the steering wheel is turned, i hear a grinding. it seems every time i turn this car on.... something new pops up. its starting to make me mental.

now that i look into this deeper, im wondering if theres a power steering fluid leak, like i say im just guessing. i wont know until the mechanic looks at it. i have no idea how it would be dripping over the cat converter and draining the battery etc etc etc. but this whole thing is just puzzling as F**k

well the power steering fluid is almost at zero. theres like 1 inch of fluid in the reservoir. and im going to bet that its red.... just like the crap leaking along the cat converter. what i still dont know is how it would be getting down there. and why the idle is messed and the battery voltage dropping.

Hi Steve, sounds like you have a transmission leak, and power steering. If you were closer to cold lake I'd say bring it over. Decided to take today off .....bored now. What side of the engine is the fluid leaking, rebuild the drivetrain in 1990 zr1 last year

so here it is, the results

mass airflow needs replacing
burnoff relay needs replacing

Trans leak from tail shaft housing and rear output shaft seal (gunna suck to be the mech who has to fix that one)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.