Nov 23, 2016
Edmonton
VetteCoins
Car
89 C4 Corvette
Its me again, and being a DIY type of person, ill be posting a video of an idle issue thats slowly changing over time. and how to resolve it before it gets worse. of course i know nothing about cars but as you have all seen i just dont give up. so coming soon will be a video of the issue and hoping for feedback.

to start off. the idle has been slowly getting worse over time. sometimes the rpm's drop and rise and sometimes you can only hear the engine powerup and drop out while the rpm does nothing. the rate that it happens at is also all over the board. sometimes it goes up and down faster and sometimes its slower.

stay tuned for a better description.

My buddy is chasing similar issues with his recently purchased '90 Coupe.
He had a young computer car tech come by and 'talk' to the car.
He told me the other day it was the throttle position sensor that may be causing his issue.
I have yet to hear the outcome.

Graham

sorry guys, i threw out my back last weekend and couldnt move for a while. the heat is also spiking here again. so i wont be making a video until mother nature cools down a few hundred degrees

interesting development,

i mention the issue to my buddy who is a heavy duty mechanic. i told him the following

-the idle is up and down when in drive
-at red lights it sounds like it will stall out
-the voltage is dropping fro 13.8 to 12.6 at red lights
-it was usually at 14.3 normally
-and its also been an average of 28 degrees for like a month straight in edmonton
-i also texted the guy who sold me the vette and he said the battery is 3 years old at least. and not used in winters.
-i make short trips in the vette. mostley 20-25 min at the max in a city driving in traffic sometimes

so my buddy said..... get a new battery.

ill go from there. to me it makes total sense now. i just hope thats the issue. the battery may just be an old geezer with no juice left

will keep you guys posted.

USE HEADPHONES

this is whats happening with the corvette. idle surges and sometimes at red lights, it drops so low that it sounds like its going to stall out. same thing when coming to a stop. The battery voltage seems to be much lower than average. its usually at 14.2 - 14.5V

Drop into a shop that will be willing to test the battery and your alternator. I am not a mechanic but to me it looks like the computer is sensing the low voltage and might be trying to compensate for it by changing the idle.

I'm guessing this is alternator issues. My 96 Lexus did something similar to this and a buddy changed the Alt. I bought a new battery and I was and am good to go since then. That what I think this is.

i just tried something i read about not even a day ago. just turning the key but not to start it will give you the actual voltage of the battery. while its not running of course. the battery is at 11.7 volts. should be at least 13. something. so im leaning towards the battery.

on another note, when i had the ignition key stuck in run position a month ago. it wouldnt shut off even with the battery disconnected. my buddy mechanic said thats a good sign of having a good alternator.

keeping fingers crossed. gunna be a bit before i can run out and get new a battery. i need to steal the company van cause the vette is my only vehicle.

if i have time next week ill take it to a chevy dealership and have them test the battery. Im not driving it until this issue has been diagnosed and not until i find out why the "service engine soon" light is on. it also needs an oil change badly.

Reactions: Paul 06 vette
so i tried something else. i started it up and drove it around the block a few times. i put it in park and tapped the gas a bit. it reved up and almost stalled out. i did it a few more times and same thing. the battery was reading normal when i was driving so now im back to perplexed mode.

it may be a while before i get it back on the road. it seems when things act up, i just dont have disposable funds to sink into the vette.

on a happier note.... when i was at work today, my area got pounded with hail and the vette was parked outside. and i mean pounded. the hail was the size of marbles and still blanketing the garden 3 hours after. needless to say the garden is demolished but the vette doesnt have a scratch

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.