Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow my post got deleted, so I am reposting again.

Having been in the business, I chuckle at those who do not understand the NET dealer profit after year-end kickbacks And other volume incentives. The fake dealer invoices are priceless. LOL! You will never see the real invoice unless you are the principal or his accountant.

Please stop the naivety. Wake up! Do u really believe that a dealer can employee 100 Staff, pay giant property tax, huge advertising, floor $10 Million of cars, build a $7 Million building, buy 2-3 acres of prime real estate, pay for the carrying costs and all the other expenses? And buy more dealerships. And then give away the car for pittance profit?

The average big 3 dealer makes 30% on a new car. That’s how. Now you know.
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/how-much-does-a-new-car-dealer-make-on-a-deal
But what could JD Power possibly know that you don’t .

I find it funny when guys brag about getting big discounts of models that are on their last year of production when next gen has already been announced and released and comparing it to brand new in demand models.

there is nothing wrong with paying MSRP if you are not buying 5 year old leftovers that where designed 10 years ago.

it is much less common to hear Porsche, Lamborghini or Ferrari owners brag about how little they paid.
You're right, I do know first hand. As a salesperson I've made $3,000 commission @ 30% many times. Although not the norm. You can't make that kind of money on a $1750 gross! Some dealers sell for $500 over invoice and it would be a $250 commission min. deal for the salesperson. And I'm not talking on Corvettes. I did pay MSRP for My23.

You think JD Power is going to let the cat out of the bag? Guess who pays their lunch?

That is why the only people you will hear the truth from are automotive company ex-execs. On quiet boards like this, trying to help fellow would-be owners. You are welcome! ;)

If you can Math well, crunch the numbers yourself, by reverse engineering. Like some of the ones I already presented. Do full cost accounting of all the imput costs, divide by number of cars they sell (better use $ value of cars if you can for better accuracy) and see what the resulting profit is. You will be well into the red if you use the fake “dealer invoice” numbers presented above. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: opmope
So if it takes your special insider knowledge to know all of this, why do feel the need to talk down to us regular folks who don't have that same experience?
Not trying to talk down to anyone, just trying to make you aware, so you can save good money. And stop the fake info spreading about how little profit is in these cars. Yes, I present it as brutal facts, and it may be too shocking for some.

As such, paging Moderator, please remove all my posts from this thread. It will be for the better for all. Removing just one, will put replies out of context.m

Last edited:
Actually…..Yes please, paging Moderator, please remove all my posts from this thread. It will be for the better. Seriously, the info I presented is too shocking as I see from the comments ;)
Nothing wrong with a healthy argument. As long as it doesn't end cursing each other out (Unless it's me and Jack! ;) )

Not trying to talk down to anyone, just trying to make you aware, so you can save good money. And stop the fake info spreading about how little profit is in these cars. If you do not like brutal facts, ask the mods to strip my posts out of this conversation.

Actually…..Yes please, paging Moderator, please remove all my posts from this thread. It will be for the better. Seriously, the info I presented is too shocking as I see from the comments ;)
Relax, they are too busy deciding my fate...

(Stop stepping on my toes Murr...)

You think JD Power is going to let the cat out of the bag? Guess who pays their lunch?

That is why the only people you will hear the truth from are automotive company ex-execs. On quiet boards like this, trying to help fellow would-be owners. You are welcome! ;)

If you can Math well, crunch the numbers yourself, by reverse engineering. Like some of the ones I already presented. Do full cost accounting of all the imput costs, divide by number of cars they sell (better use $ value of cars if you can for better accuracy) and see what the resulting profit is. You will be well into the red if you use the fake “dealer invoice” numbers presented above. Pretty simple.
I quit.

Those "fake dealer invoices" are quite accurate. Key word is invoice that's the only item directly related to the cost of the vehicle. The other additional potential profits/expenses are separate from this. You make alot of bogus statements without backing them up which takes all credibility out of your posts. Ford, Doge, GM dealers having 30% margin on new vehicles is biggest load of crap I've heard in 40 years of being in this industry as managing partner and dealer principle of many.

Those "fake dealer invoices" are quite accurate. Key word is invoice that's the only item directly related to the cost of the vehicle. The other additional potential profits/expenses are separate from this. You make alot of bogus statements without backing them up which takes all credibility out of your posts. Ford, Doge, GM dealers having 30% margin on new vehicles is biggest load of crap I've heard in 40 years of being in this industry as managing partner and dealer principle of many.
The 30% only the dealer Principle sees. I keep telling you. There are two sets of invoices. The invoice we as buyer see is what the salesperson gets. And that invoice only has PROBABLY a 15% margin from MSRP.
As a buyer you want to get as close to the 85% of cost as you can. Some dealer will give you nothing. Some volume dealers will sell vehicles for $500 above their cost.
All dealers tell you the same thing. There’s no mark up. Some dealers with low allotments know they will sell what they get charging full MSRP. Why sell for less.
It like the Toronto Make Me Laughs. $300 a ticket for the nose bleed section and sold out every game. Go to a same venue in the states. $18 + a sofa + a hot dog + a carrot stick for a nose bleed ticket. And they still make money. 😂

Reactions: carbuff
Hard to
It like the Toronto Make Me Laughs. $300 a ticket for the nose bleed section and sold out every game. Go to a same venue in the states. $18 + a sofa + a hot dog + a carrot stick for a nose bleed ticket. And they still make money. 😂

Hard to take you seriously when you post this as your fact based analogy. But then again, you lost me at your first post. "Pencil" me in as a naysayer...

Well, I am calling you out on your statement calling “crap”.

Either you can’t count (I already explained to you how), were never in the business (very likely, based on your comments), only sold used, or you REALLY do not want the consumer mark to know how much profit they are paying. Which is it?

There are no alternative facts. The numbers speak for themselves.
That is how I backed up my statement. Numbers do not lie. Crunch them yourself if you can MATH.

Back up YOUR statements, and we can dance some more

Nothing wrong with a 30% gross margin. It is necessary for healthy NET profits.

Not surprised at the comment. Divulging this drives dealer principals insane. The gig is up, LOL!

Park a new 2024 C8 on my driveway with keys, and I will recant :)
Then I will confirm those ads that advertise $500 over dealer cost, or at dealer cost, and I will claim it is enough petty cash to float a $100k per month payroll and carry $20-40Million offlooring, real estate, and overhead at giant dealerships. ROFL.

Last edited:
Well, I am calling you out on your statement calling “crap”.

Either you can’t count (I already explained to you how), were never in the business (very likely, based on your comments), only sold used, or you REALLY do not want the consumer mark to know how much profit they are paying. Which is it?

There are no alternative facts. The numbers speak for themselves.
That is how I backed up my statement. Numbers do not lie. Crunch them yourself if you can MATH.

Back up YOUR statements, and we can dance some more

Nothing wrong with a 30% gross margin. It is necessary for healthy NET profits.

Not surprised at the comment. Divulging this drives dealer principals insane. The gig is up, LOL!

Park a new 2024 C8 on my driveway with keys, and I will recant :)
Then I will confirm those ads that advertise $500 over dealer cost, or at dealer cost, and I will claim it is enough petty cash to float a $100k per month payroll and carry $20-40Million offlooring, real estate, and overhead at

UR2SLO. I totally understand you not wanting this to get out to the public. Not good when the cat gets out of the bag. If it’s the biggest load of crap? Bogus statements? Here are the facts. Where are your facts to your statement?​

Maybes ask yourself, how was I able to make $250, $800, $1250, $1800, $3000 commission checks on NEW vehicle sales when I was in the business ? How are salespersons I worked with, that are still in the business, making $115,000 to a $150,000 a year. Selling 8 to 12 cars a month, if there are no grosses to be had. Where did the expression, “ oh boy did that consumer ever get laid away “! How do you as a managing partner and dealer principle stay in business paying salespeople more then what you make on an invoice. JD Power states only $1750 mark up? I almost pee’d my pants when I read this. How is Chrysler able to advertise big sale, $10,000 off MSRP. They have these sales all the time. Ford had their sales pre COVID, prior to supply shortages, $7500 below MSRP on dealer websites . How was I able to purchase my 2020 factory order F150 for $4,000 less then I could from my local dealer? How is this possible with only a $1750 mark up as JD Power states. Again I’m only asking to educate myself not intended to insult anyone.​

Sorry for the bold font. I copied and pasted and it came out this big lol​

Reactions: carbuff

UR2SLO. I totally understand you not wanting this to get out to the public. Not good when the cat gets out of the bag. If it’s the biggest load of crap? Bogus statements? Here are the facts. Where are your facts to your statement?​

Maybes ask yourself, how was I able to make $250, $800, $1250, $1800, $3000 commission checks on NEW vehicle sales when I was in the business ? How are salespersons I worked with, that are still in the business, making $115,000 to a $150,000 a year. Selling 8 to 12 cars a month, if there are no grosses to be had. Where did the expression, “ oh boy did that consumer ever get laid away “! How do you as a managing partner and dealer principle stay in business paying salespeople more then what you make on an invoice. JD Power states only $1750 mark up? I almost pee’d my pants when I read this. How is Chrysler able to advertise big sale, $10,000 off MSRP. They have these sales all the time. Ford had their sales pre COVID, prior to supply shortages, $7500 below MSRP on dealer websites . How was I able to purchase my 2020 factory order F150 for $4,000 less then I could from my local dealer? How is this possible with only a $1750 mark up as JD Power states. Again I’m only asking to educate myself not intended to insult anyone.​

Sorry for the bold font. I copied and pasted and it came out this big lol​

Why do you have two CCF accounts , this one and your other one under the name Carbuff ?

Status
Not open for further replies.