VetteCoins
Username Style Freeform (Sponsors)
Thread Title Style (Sponsors)
Car
2009 Base 1LT
Province
ON
Felt like sharing:

One of my managers just informed me that he has looked in the GM production/ordering system to see who has orders in across Canada.

Last Saturday was the first day orders were being accepted from Canada.

Currently there are 7 orders from Canada in the system.

If you have an order for a 2020 Corvette and it is in Event 3000, congratulations, you will have one of the first 7 ever assembled for the Canadian market!

I congratulate every Canadian who will get their C8 dream realized this production year but I have a question and an opinion.
Does anyone know the forecasted 2020 production numbers? Obviously GM knows exactly how many C8's they are both able to, and intend on building for the inaugural model year. I do have to give credit to their marketing department for feeding the C8 hype we have been exposed to for nearly three years now and keeping the suspense level high for those wanting to purchase and not being actually sure until they reach the magic 3000 or whatever it is order status. For an arm's length comparison only, in the first year of C7 production, GM produced 37,288 of the 2014 C7 Corvettes. Delivery to dealers began on September 18, 2013 and of these, 1,193 were built for Canadian markets. I may be wrong but I expect GM knows exactly how many and where they intend to ship to Canada, and as in 2014, that number is likely guaranteed to be less than what they ship overseas. JMO but I am curious.

I congratulate every Canadian who will get their C8 dream realized this production year but I have a question and an opinion.
Does anyone know the forecasted 2020 production numbers? Obviously GM knows exactly how many C8's they are both able to, and intend on building for the inaugural model year. I do have to give credit to their marketing department for feeding the C8 hype we have been exposed to for nearly three years now and keeping the suspense level high for those wanting to purchase and not being actually sure until they reach the magic 3000 or whatever it is order status. For an arm's length comparison only, in the first year of C7 production, GM produced 37,288 of the 2014 C7 Corvettes. Delivery to dealers began on September 18, 2013 and of these, 1,193 were built for Canadian markets. I may be wrong but I expect GM knows exactly how many and where they intend to ship to Canada, and as in 2014, that number is likely guaranteed to be less than what they ship overseas. JMO but I am curious.

I've actually been trying to work out an estimate for this.

Over historical data, I'm only looking at the C7 as there were very, very few C6's that were shipped to Canada.

For each model year, the production numbers are as follows:

YEAR
QTY PRODUCED
CANADA ALLOCATION
% TO CANADA
2014​
37,288​
1,193​
3.2%​
2015​
34,240​
1,556​
4.5%​
2016​
40,689​
1,793​
4.4%​
2017​
32,782​
2,268​
6.9%​
2018​
9,686​
587​
6.1%​
2019​
34,310​
2,986​
8.7%​
TOTAL​
188,995​
10,383​
5.5%​
AVERAGE​
31,499​
1,730​
5.5%​

One thing we know is GM states they want to produce twice as many C8 Corvettes/year as they did with the C7.

I'm looking at this one of two ways:

If they are basing it off the average produced/year, then we may see around 63,000 C8 Corvettes produced total.

If they are basing it off the 2019 year, then we need to do a bit of playing around.

The 2018 MY was incredibly short and was cut in half. This is for two reasons: 1. they shut down the plant for 3 months to rebuild the paint department, 2. They ended it early/started the 2019MY early to release the ZR-1. This reflects the low production numbers of under 10,000 units.

The 2019MY was actually 18 months long, so in reality, they produced 22,900ish in 2019. If they are basing their announcement on this, we may see about 46,000 C8 built for the 2020MY.

Now, in early production of a new model of vehicle, or special editions of a model, Canada often gets the short end of the stick. America > Canada, in GM's point of view. We've seen this in Corvettes, the new Traverse, and on an off with Silverado. It's reflected in the C7 life as the 2014MY was very low allocation to Canada of 3.2%, whereas it increased to 8.7% for 2019, likely due to the hype and anticipation of the C8, sales in the USA dropped; More Corvettes for Canada. Over the entire life of the Corvete, 5.5% of all units produced came to Canada.

What I'm taking from these numbers is that we're going to see 46k to 63k units built for the 2020MY and 3.2% to 5.5% may come to Canada. Therefore, Canada may see between 1,400 to 3,500 C8 Corvettes in the 2020MY.

If, as many are saying, that the intent is to saturate the Euro market, thus taking a big bite out of the Germans, Italians, etc., for a future cash grab of up to 200,000 total sales per year, and the late start on production, I expect Canada will get the shortest end of the stick as usual. My projection is less than 500 units the first year.

Isn't the strike GM wide effecting all production in the US??
I stand corrected ....again... thats what I get for not researching gossip myself.... If there is a saving grace, it appears many GM workers are watching the proceedings trying to figure out why UAW called this strike...

"Hourly workers say publicly and privately they are unified and committed to good pay and benefits. Many also say they are working hard to follow closely the negotiations and learn more about why their leaders called the strike, and how to bring it to conclusion as quickly as possible." (USA Today)

Gotta love union officials....

Reactions: ddgermann
Does anyone know the forecasted 2020 production numbers? Obviously GM knows exactly how many C8's they are both able to, and intend on building for the inaugural model year. I do have to give credit to their marketing department for feeding the C8 hype we have been exposed to for nearly three years now and keeping the suspense level high for those wanting to purchase and not being actually sure until they reach the magic 3000 or whatever it is order status. For an arm's length comparison only, in the first year of C7 production, GM produced 37,288 of the 2014 C7 Corvettes. Delivery to dealers began on September 18, 2013 and of these, 1,193 were built for Canadian markets. I may be wrong but I expect GM knows exactly how many and where they intend to ship to Canada, and as in 2014, that number is likely guaranteed to be less than what they ship overseas. JMO but I am curious

Aaaaaaaah the numbers game. I agree, in allocation of a new model Canada always get the short end of the stick, but those that have their orders already in will I assume get their car by Apr. or May ? I for one will be patient and wait to hear the verdict of owners of the first C8's before I place my order. Have to admit I think GM has a hit on their hands with the new C8.

• Agree
Reactions: tyho
If it's only a rumor, then no one knows if it's true.

Just like there was a rumor that they were going to continue production of the C7 when the C8 came out, among others.

Reactions: OttawaKev
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.