Hey Valley Vette!..
Did you get started on your bumper cover project yet?

graham

Graham,

I did do the front bumper in the spring - see below! And I picked up the rear bumper cover yesterday...that will (or at least should) be done before the first ride in spring '14. I did the paint on the front to keep the cost down (close although not a perfect match) but will give some consideration to having a shop paint the rear. The whole car will need a re-paint before too many more seasons...

VV / Doug

Doug..great looking car. Nice job on the front cover. That is tougher to do than the rear end. What brand of rear cover did you get? Mine was an Ecklers product. My painter had a devil of a time with it. The 'glas was full of air bubbles! Everytime he sanded more bubbles opened up. He is an NCRS painter and wasn't impressed with this product. He painted my whole car 25 years ago.
good luck. PM me if you have any questions .
graham

Folks - thanks, it's all good - I purchased a Tru-flex from Willcox. Same product make as the front. After sanding I had just a few very small bubles on the front bumper which I filled before I got out the rattle can. I see that there's a fair sized air bubble mark on the right side "pad" of the rear bumper, tip of the baby finger size depression, which will have to be filled on the new cover but, after a quick look, it otherwise it looks great. Will sand and prep it over the snow season. Oh to have a heated garage and some work space...

Really appreciate the pics earlier in this thread as they will greatly assist in planning for the work ahead. Off with the old and on with the new!

Regards,

Doug

Reactions: YFCvii
Doug... this is really awkward but...... according to your pictures your car has a great rearend and a nice rack!
Good luck with rear end surgery. Does the new cap have indents for the 'corvette' letters? Some aftermarket suppliers do and some don't..
Mine did.
take care graham

Doug... this is really awkward but...... according to your pictures your car has a great rearend and a nice rack!
Good luck with rear end surgery. Does the new cap have indents for the 'corvette' letters? Some aftermarket suppliers do and some don't..
Mine did.
take care graham

Graham,

I'll avoid any awkwardness by simply moving on - :D - I purchased with indents as I wish to keep the car looking as "stock" as possible. With the exception of a modified and true dual exhaust system put on by the PO, she remains almost exactly as she was purchased in 1975. The PO had her for more than 20 years and I've had her for the past two. She's used but shows no sign that she was ever abused. Yes, there are a couple of fluid drip points - but we can tallk about that in 2015...

Doug

Remove and toss?

I note in the previous "under construction" pics on this thread that neither the upright metal tail light supports nor the center piece that all sit on top of the horizontal internal rear bumper appear to have been replaced once removed. Am I correct is presuming that there was no requirement to have them in place for any structural strength or other reason once the orig bumper cover is replaced with a f/g cover? In other words, one should remove and toss?

VV

Hey VV... looking good so far...

I did NOT use the metal centre support or the fiberglass left/right tailite pieces.
They did not fit with the new cover, and there appears to be enough strength in the new bumper cover.
I did use the metal rings, etc to mount the tailites in the new cover.
I did have to trim the lower metal braces on either side of the license plate area. This may depend on the brand of bumper cover you have.(mine was an ECKLERS flexi-fibreglas). Refer to my pics for trimming details.

carry on my friend.. graham

Two steps forward....

So, knowing I was passing through the USA on Friday, I ordered some replacement emblems for the new rear bumper cover and had them delivered to an enroute town in upper NY state. Imagine my surprise (and frustration) tonight when I got back home to Ottawa and opened the sealed (by the manufacturer) package that had been sent to me by the supplier (who is not at fault here). The old emblems are on top - the new ones are below. Can you spot "T"he difference? Hint. it's "V"ery obvious....except it seems to the person who put the individually wrapped letters into the sealed package!

So much for finishing this weekend, sigh... VV

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread