while you guys figure that " Z " out, someone tell me what is the next character ? is it a O ( oh ) or a 0 ( zero ) ? the way I see you all spell it differently so do you say Zed Zero Six, or Zee Zero Six, or Zee Oh Six or Zed Oh Six ? I'm confused as I only have 1/2 my grade 12 ( grade 6 ). ......:Confused5:.......:Shrug2:........

I think it's understood that although the next two characters following the "Z" are numerical (06)......we all know that the correct annunciation is "oh six"........:):Hurray:

Reactions: Tony Gull
It's obvious that the letter(s) following Z'ed' (and following many other letters) affects pronounciation... I grew up on the East coast and love the dialects from all over Canada, and the US States as well.... But I am still Canadian and have no interest is pronouncing Zed like the Americans do, or spelling words like the Americans. Zee is an altered version of both the original English Zed and Latin Zeta.

I don't really care if 325 million Americans look at me funny when I say "Zed"... And they probably don't care if I look at them funny when they say "Trump".
And by the way... This Canadian forum has no spell checker.... You arr phree 2 spl eny wy u wnt nd wee wil likli undrstnd u. :laughatyou:

Finally a definitive answer to this question. My two year old grand daughter was singing the Alphabet Song yesterday .....Q R S T U V W X Y ZED. There you have it.

I think it is "foot" pounds and wonder if it is actually a mechanical engineering term. Now if we had an engineer on here maybe he could chime in (Eric who drove a train for CN I am sure can clarify).:Biggrin:

...From the GRAMMARIST Website
"The zed pronunciation is older, and it more closely resembles the Greek letter, zeta, from which the English letter is derived. And zed is closer to other languages’ spelling and pronunciation of the letter; for instance, the French say zède, German speakers say zet, and Spanish speakers say zeta. These are points in zed‘s favor. "
That being said...
"Zee is the American way of saying the letter z. Zed is the British way. Neither is right or wrong, and nobody is ignorant for pronouncing z the way they do. "

For me, it is still a zed.
I zed it was ok !

For me it has to be 'Zed' but I am with Jeremiad on - neighbours, colour, favour, humour etc. The 'u' is stupid. I never write it that way either.
I like the fact that once you graduate high school, the rules change and you can spell neighbor and center,etc, either of two ways and walk away with it being acceptable in Canada.
I always liked helping my daughter practise for a spelling test and ask her to spell “too”.
She said “can I get that in a sentence please” ? I responded “OK, Two people went to buy a Corvette and found it hard to choose because there was too many choices” 😂

Finally a definitive answer to this question. My two year old grand daughter was singing the Alphabet Song yesterday .....Q R S T U V W X Y ZED. There you have it.

I think it is "foot" pounds and wonder if it is actually a mechanical engineering term. Now if we had an engineer on here maybe he could chime in (Eric who drove a train for CN I am sure can clarify).:Biggrin:
Funny, because I always use the alphabet song as my argument why Zed is wrong. You'll note the rhyming pattern...abcdef..Gee...hijklmno..Pee...qrstu...Vee....wxy.. Zee..... Zed simply doesn't rhyme and the song is taught that way in both countries. More importantly and specific to this issue, it's an American car, and it's pronounced Zee by the people who created the car. My daughter's name is Arielle and we always correct people when they pronounce it like the little mermaid Ariel. No, it's pronounced Air....eee...ell. The name should be pronounced as the creater intended. Zee.

I like the fact that once you graduate high school, the rules change and you can spell neighbor and center,etc, either of two ways and walk away with it being acceptable in Canada.
I always liked helping my daughter practise for a spelling test and ask her to spell “too”.
She said “can I get that in a sentence please” ? I responded “OK, Two people went to buy a Corvette and found it hard to choose because there was too many choices” 😂
I had to Google 'practise'. Thanks for the review of my Grade 5 English. I had forgotten that word. Now I am trying to remember where I might have used practice instead of practise in the last 5 decades.

Don't have a Z06 but I did own a Datsun 280Z (Zed) many years ago. Never heard anyone here call it, or the Vettes a Zee...

I find it interesting to read the differences we have with regard to how we announciate a cars name or model. For me the Camaro Z28 was always (Zed) which I will add has a more muscular sounding resonance than simply Zee!

As well Datsun 240Z and its' future generations were always Zee.;)

I couldn't find this question previously asked so if it has been posted I'll apologize in advance.

Recognizing that Canadians pronounce the letter "Z" as Zed and Americans pronounce it as Zee, is that carried over in the the way we announciate a "Corvette Z06"?

When I mentioned to my American cousin that I ordered a ("Zed") Z06 he corrected me and said it's a ("Zee") Z06.

Any comments from fellow Canadian Z06 owners?

Cobra
I use zed oh six, just like zed 71 truck package or zed 51 for the vettes. That is proper English. We often say oh for zero in other instances so I’ll stick with it. Good question though. The younger folk I think tend to Americanize the language.

I find it interesting to read the differences we have with regard to how we announciate a cars name or model. For me the Camaro Z28 was always (Zed) which I will add has a more muscular sounding resonance than simply Zee!

As well Datsun 240Z and its' future generations were always Zee.;)
Funny. My generation (20 in the 80’s) said 240zed, 280zed, etc. I agree zed28 sounds better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.