I ordered a mightymouse PVC can today. I figure anything that extracts oil from the dirty side PVC valley outlet is a benefit, and I liked the pressure relief valve in the mightymouse which may help with cleanside oil burps, without going to some more complicated cleanside solution.

Cleanside oil in the intake has not been an issue in my car, I've pulled the CAI off several times up to 8,750 km and it has been dry as a bone.

Great video. There is a reference to the break-in period and 'spirited driving' assisting with the lack oil in the intake. Can anyone explain... this sounds counter to the break-in guidance from GM?!? :confused:

Hard break ins are said to help seat the rings and make better power, rather than OEM babying recommendations. We used to do it all the time with race bikes, but I didn't have the wherewithal to do it to my new corvette. It's not easy to do on the street either, because it means several high rpm runs in various gears using a particular method, when the car is brand new.

I doubt it has anything to do with oil in the intake - that's a cleanside burping issue that some Z51s seem to suffer.

I ordered a mightymouse PVC can today. I figure anything that extracts oil from the dirty side PVC valley outlet is a benefit, and I liked the pressure relief valve in the mightymouse which may help with cleanside oil burps, without going to some more complicated cleanside solution.

Cleanside oil in the intake has not been an issue in my car, I've pulled the CAI off several times up to 8,750 km and it has been dry as a bone.

Unit looks well made.
But...What is the purpose of theair breather pressure relief?
Normal OEM setups have no such pressure bypass. They are sized to safely take up all blowby. They do not over-pressure.
Seems like an un-necessary addition on this can for OEM C7 engine.
Am I not understanding this correctly?

Can you shed some light on this please?

Last edited:
That can is $350 USD for the Z51 version. That is about $450 CAD. Nuts!

Well I guess that's what's great about forums, if you looked at the video that 81Wayne and write the write up that Smack YYZ linked to you can see how valves get gummed up, now in saying that some people like to spend $500 dollars on a different steering wheel $1000 - $1500 dollars on ground effect packages, do they make the car run better??? NO
I decided to add an oil catch can $450 that I know will make my cars intake air a lot cleaner so therefore it should make it run better or atleast not get all gummed up. So I'm as you quote "NUTS"

So I guess each to their own...........

Last edited:
Unit looks well made.
But...What is the purpose of theair breather pressure relief?
Normal OEM setups have no such pressure bypass. They are sized to safely take up all blowby. They do not over-pressure.
Seems like an un-necessary addition on this can for OEM C7 engine.
Am I not understanding this correctly?

Can you shed some light on this please?

Dave at MM indicated to me that the breather on top is a one-way (exit only) set up to relieve any building crank pressure while remaining closed for normal closed loop pcv operation. Whether it's an unnecessary addition or not to an n/a engine, I don't know - I've read that pressure can contribute to clean side oil burping but I don't if that's true or not. I thought it couldn't hurt that's for sure.

If you're thinking about this can I'd definitely recommend talking to Dave at MM for his thoughts.

Well I guess that's what's great about forums, if you looked at the video that 81Wayne and write the write up that Smack YYZ linked to you can see how valves get gummed up, now in saying that some people like to spend $500 dollars on a different steering wheel $1000 - $1500 dollars on ground effect packages, do they make the car run better??? NO
I decided to add an oil catch can $450 that I know will make my cars intake air a lot cleaner so therefore it should make it run better or atleast not get all gummed up. So I'm as you quote "NUTS"

So I guess each to their own...........

The UPR can is a pretty sweet unit.

My heads are coming off at about 10,000 km without a catch can - I'll be curious to see whether there is any guck at all on the valves and will try to get pictures.

The UPR can is a pretty sweet unit.

My heads are coming off at about 10,000 km without a catch can - I'll be curious to see whether there is any guck at all on the valves and will try to get pictures.

Just curious why are your heads coming off at 10,000KM, my car now 6000KM so hopefully no build up yet but did have a fair amount of oil in my air intake when the throttle body was off.

I meant to say the price is nuts, not the buyers! LOL!

It is such a simple device.....anyone could make up one with a bit of creativity and some spare fittings. Only if time was cheap....

If they were mass producing them they could get the price way down but it's a small market. They are CNCing each can from high quality Aluminum billet not the cheapest method of production. And after that they do need to make some money. That being said, with the cheapest cans going for about 299, and the top ones in the 500-600 range the UPR can for 349 seems like the best can for the money on the market right now.

Also I don't think I'd want a mickey mouse setup on my new C7!

Yes you can certainly do a low budget one and it'll be way better then nothing at all. It's all about appearance for some. Youtube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWhsMsRmYzs

Lots of other video's on the right hand side of this page, watch enough to decide which best suits you. Z51 optioned cars might require something more elaborate.

Oil catch myth or must have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrSn3BoeLE

My vote "must have", in fact one will be going on my daily driver soon.
Might opt for a cheaper do it yourself version for the van.

Last edited:
You can go to any store that sells paint equipment and get a quality air/oil separator for a fraction of the cost of the stuff you see on the internet. Oil Separator

Keith, those Eastman units are well made, my only concern would be the flow rate. The oil separator is only rated for 16cfm, which seems pretty low for an engine application.

I could be wrong, 16cfm might be ample. Any one know?

Keith, those Eastman units are well made, my only concern would be the flow rate. The oil separator is only rated for 16cfm, which seems pretty low for an engine application.

I could be wrong, 16cfm might be ample. Any one know?

That may be 16cfm, but at what pressure? The rating is incomplete.

A PCV has zero pressure or slightly negative.

I would not use a unit designed for an air compressor. Totally different animal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.