Status
Not open for further replies.
"The luxury tax will not apply to the sale of a subject vehicle priced above the price threshold where a purchaser and a vendor have entered into a written agreement for the sale of the subject vehicle before 2022".
From the Canada.ca website
I was interested to read this and I have followed up with dealerships secretary treasurer who contacted CRA. This will work if you have a VIN number for your vehicle in 2021 that was waiting on a computer chip for example and was sitting and that VIN number is on your written agreement but you needed to take delivery of the car by August 31, 2022. Any changes to the contract make this statement void. Picking up the car after Aug 31/22 also makes this statement void. Even changing from a 2022 to a 2023 Z06 on the agreement makes this statement void.
I really wanted this to work and have followed up as I have a signed, written agreement for my Z06 from 2021, but it doesn't have a VIN number on it, the pricing is from a 2021 Corvette as there was no Z06 pricing on the car. No Z06's were delivered in Canada by August 31st, so NONE are exempt from the luxury tax. So, it's on to plan B. A friend of a friend is buddies with Pierre Poilievre who if you don't know is the leader of the Conservative Party and the official opposition to the Gov't of Canada. Question we posed to him was "will you consider removing the luxury tax when your elected?" You know how politicians answer...they will study it to see how much revenue it is bringing in. They will also look at raising the limit, which is what I asked to $250,000 like they have with boats. He did not commit to throwing it out as an election strategy just to study it.
As a footnote here, I remember this crap 50 years ago when during the energy crisis, the government introduced an emergency excise tax of $100 on each car with air conditioning that was supposed to be a "temporary" measure. Well about a Billion dollars later, so much for temporary!!:Mad5:😡

Reactions: Red Devil
The luxury tax is a reality that is here to stay. Budget for it, plan for it, and live with it. Even a change in government won’t change the tax. Remember the gst? It survived multiple elections. So will this.
Agree. The GST survived and so will the luxury tax but to be honest, the GST did replace a 13% MST. And it was an election platform promise to reduce the GST down from 7% later on. The luxury tax is here to stay but if the parties feel they can garner votes by reducing it, that may get on the table. But most of Canada won't even think about the luxury tax affecting them for a while as most don't realize where the price of vehicles has gone. It's pretty hard to buy a new pickup anymore without hitting the luxury tax threshold.

Agree. The GST survived and so will the luxury tax but to be honest, the GST did replace a 13% MST. And it was an election platform promise to reduce the GST down from 7% later on. The luxury tax is here to stay but if the parties feel they can garner votes by reducing it, that may get on the table. But most of Canada won't even think about the luxury tax affecting them for a while as most don't realize where the price of vehicles has gone. It's pretty hard to buy a new pickup anymore without hitting the luxury tax threshold.
Pro tip. If buying a new truck , buy a 3500. 1 tons are considered a commercial vehicle and are exempt from the tax.

EDIT: Vehicles with a gvwr over 3856 kgs are not subject to the tax.

Last edited:
Now that the E-Ray has been officially announced, who is going to pass on the Z06 and take the E.Ray instead?

Official List Update: First forum member received his Z06.

Congrats to 2020C8#49 on his new Z06.

@Gilles27 - Order placed (status 1100)- Butler Chevrolet
@C7Z51Prochrgd - Order placed (status 1100)- Dennis Searles Chevrolet
@Skyler - Order placed (status 1100)- Surgenor Ottawa
@61ratvette - Order placed (status 1100)

@DenisC8 - on the list- staying on the list- Brian Cullen
@SebringC8 - on the list- staying on the list- Wilson Niblett
@69L89 - on the list- staying on the list-CMP Calgary
@nialll - on the list- staying on the list- Bill Spencer
@black2010gs - on the list- staying on the list- Wilson Niblett
@PistolPetesC8 - on the list- staying on the list - Wilson Niblett
@DanW - on the list- staying on the list- SMP (Saskatoon)
@Red Devil - on the list- staying on the list- Wilson Niblett
@CamsC8 - on the list - Bill Spencer
@JCWP - on the list- Kelowna, Dave Wheaton Victoria, and Dueck Vancouver

@JohnP - on the list- staying on the list
@D1J - on the list- staying on the list
@butsy - on the list- staying on the list
@JoeyBats - on the list- staying on the list
@ZOHSLICK - on the list- staying on the list
@Psyclist - on the list- staying on the list
@Midengine - on the list- staying on the list
@Mr.Corvette - on the list- staying on the list
@dssking - on the list- staying on the list