Okay I still don't have 800kms on the car so my digital display still shows red line around 4000rpm.

When giving it a good shot however I notice that my power is cut off when the revs come up close to 4000 in both 1st and 2nd gear (I'm running a manual). I'm wondering if that is the computer shutting off the fuel/electronics or if that's traction control kicking in. It certainly doesn't feel like wheel slip!

I also need an explanation of the circular dots on the heads up display that begin as two white dots that create more dots which move towards each other and turn green.......I know they're shift lights but no where in the manual or on line can I find a detailed description of how to interpret them!

Thanks Cobra

I also need an explanation of the circular dots on the heads up display that begin as two white dots that create more dots which move towards each other and turn green.......I know they're shift lights but no where in the manual or on line can I find a detailed description of how to interpret them!

Thanks Cobra
Thanks for asking this. I was clueless. Reading on the other forum it appears they are shift indicators as the lites move from their outer start positions to center. As they get close to touching they turn red as they indicate you are near redline....time to shift. I think im interpreting it right?

Heres one discussion:

• Useful
Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks for asking this. I was clueless. Reading on the other forum it appears they are shift indicators as the lites move from their outer start positions to center. As they get close to touching they turn red as they indicate you are near redline....time to shift. I think im interpreting it right?

Heres one discussion:

I went to the other forum and what a bunch of a__holes. The OP posted basically the same question that I did and the responses were very ignorant. One guy criticized the OP and his response was figure it out, its simple.....wow!

I should add my HUD is in track mode. Well so far I've seen white/grey circles turn to green with multiple circles then moving from each side to the centre. What no one explained is the sequence of colours and the optimum shift point if shifting via the coloured circles verses the tach. I've experienced white/grey and green circles and read that there's orange, yellow and red circles too. I would suspect that red would mean that you missed the optimum shift point, but I'm still waiting on the expertise of our senior forum friendly members to respond!

Cobra :)

Okay I still don't have 800kms on the car so my digital display still shows red line around 4000rpm.

When giving it a good shot however I notice that my power is cut off when the revs come up close to 4000 in both 1st and 2nd gear (I'm running a manual). I'm wondering if that is the computer shutting off the fuel/electronics or if that's traction control kicking in. It certainly doesn't feel like wheel slip!

Thanks Cobra

Frank covered the shift lights well for you. You may be experiencing intervention it really depends on what mode you are in and your tire temps. The computer is taking all this in to consideration along with your break in period.
Your tach red line should be moving to 6500 any moment now so you will know soon. If you don’t notice a substantial difference then you know it’s just the drive mode at play. If you’re in sport mode you should easily feel the rears break loose at half throttle momentarily in 2nd.. especially on cold tires.
Don’t forget to get your oil changed ASAP after you get past the break in. It may effect your warranty if you don’t. It’s a freebie from GM for the LT4 that extends beyond your normal free oil changes. They pay close attention to this particular oil change.

I went to the other forum and what a bunch of a__holes. The OP posted basically the same question that I did and the responses were very ignorant. One guy criticized the OP and his response was figure it out, its simple.....wow!

I should add my HUD is in track mode. Well so far I've seen white/grey circles turn to green with multiple circles then moving from each side to the centre. What no one explained is the sequence of colours and the optimum shift point if shifting via the coloured circles verses the tach. I've experienced white/grey and green circles and read that there's orange, yellow and red circles too. I would suspect that red would mean that you missed the optimum shift point, but I'm still waiting on the expertise of our senior forum friendly members to respond!

Cobra :)

On this one I’m not sure and will be learning along side you. I run my HUD in sport mode 99% of the time. (I think it’s sport mode). I have been in my car 2 times in the last year since MITM. Forgot lots of little cool features. Maybe YouTube can help us. I will do some research today between wine and pool cool downs. 😂

Reactions: frankmp
Well I found this but it’s not super detailed on the colour aspect of your shift lights.

You’re right about the manual... pretty poor at describing the shift lights.
This is all I could find.
8AADDE7F-F04B-4016-945F-AB32EAD1BF2B.png

Well im senior in age and being here 10 years and friendly...but Derrick rocks with his knowledge and abundance of Vettecoins!.......lololol

I’m learning as I go Frank. I can google as good as the next guy. So many little things to learn on these cars and so much to remember. It’s always great when someone asks a good question and inspires me to go learn more or possibly just help if I may be lucky enough to already know. 👍

I'm going to get into trouble! Nearing 800kms, so I gave it full throttle an hour ago, just for what seemed like a few seconds. First to second.........didn't go near red line, only two green circles, shifted into second then back on the throttle.......looked at my HUD .......125kms on a city street.....yikes......now I'm terrified of being charged with "stunt driving", because I like it! Ha ha

I'm going to get into trouble! Nearing 800kms, so I gave it full throttle an hour ago, just for what seemed like a few seconds. First to second.........didn't go near red line, only two green circles, shifted into second then back on the throttle.......looked at my HUD .......125kms on a city street.....yikes......now I'm terrified of being charged with "stunt driving", because I like it! Ha ha

Ya wait till you move to 3rd. 😂 Hopefully not in a city street as you will in the 180 range.
Awesome you are enjoying your new Z. 👍

Reactions: Cobravenomous
I'm thinking of applying a ceramic coating myself......https://avalonking.com/.......any comments?

That’s one that would scare me but you likely have way more skills than me.
Personally I would want all the paint correction done first which I have no real skills in... or the right tools. Maybe you do which is great.

Finding the right detail shop I think is the key as this process is far from cheap.

• Clever
That’s one that would scare me but you likely have way more skills than me.
Personally I would want all the paint correction done first which I have no real skills in... or the right tools. Maybe you do which is great.

Finding the right detail shop I think is the key as this process is far from cheap.

Detail Solutions do it in Edmonton.. I have seen lights that they seem to bake it after. It is pricey.

Friends with the owners and they tried talking me into doing my ZR1 but I said I like to do my own to get the best glow and shine I can. I liked it when people said your car glowed great and I said I did it myself.

I do my own cut polish ( now called paint correction ) and getting pretty good at it. No, I don't do it for anyone as not a pro at it... just decent at it. .

But best to let the pros do it...

Brian

Detail Solutions do it in Edmonton.. I have seen lights that they seem to bake it after. It is pricey.

Friends with the owners and they tried talking me into doing my ZR1 but I said I like to do my own to get the best glow and shine I can. I liked it when people said your car glowed great and I said I did it myself.

I do my own cut polish ( now called paint correction ) and getting pretty good at it. No, I don't do it for anyone as not a pro at it... just decent at it. .

But best to let the pros do it...

Brian

I too have been doing my own detailing (cut and polish) for well over ten years......matter of fact my Porter Cable bit the dust about three weeks ago and that same day I ordered a new one (7424xp). I use Wizards and Meguires products, the orbital buffer and Lake Country pads. You can go through the clear coat if you're not careful, but by design if used correctly there are no issues........

I was reading the link below (best of) and it sounds like if the paint is prepped well that the acrylic can be applied by yourself......... they say easily!

This links rates a number of products that I found interesting........by the way as many on this site have stated and referred me to buy Meguires Synthetic.......it is rated number 1.

Cobra

• Informative
I'm thinking of applying a ceramic coating myself......https://avalonking.com/.......any comments?

I started an avalon king thread a while back:

• Informative
I started an avalon king thread a while back:

Thanks for the referral!

Question.............will ceramic coating provide better front end chip protection from minor road debris, more protection than wax?

If not then I'm okay waxing with Meguires Synthetic every six weeks because I actually enjoy detailing my cars and I'll forget about acrylic? PPF is not available in my community with Toronto at 460 miles being the closest and quite truthfully I'm not prepared to pay thousands for it!

Thanks for the referral!

Question.............will ceramic coating provide better front end chip protection from minor road debris, more protection than wax?

I don't see it being better at road debris protection. Equally as good, for sure. And. If it does actually last 5 yrs, I'll be ok with it.
I've yet to have a bird take a dump on it, but bugs come off like nothing. (I've used cold water and a rag on bugs for 50yrs).
When I hose the vette off, prior to washing, the dirt and dust just simply rolls off it.
Earlier in the week I was going to do my ridgeline with avalon king. After washing it, I bailed on the idea, and put a layer of (forget the brand, maybe mothers or maguiers) carnuba wax on it. The container must have been 15yrs old.
Went on and off simple!
And. Within 24hrs, a seagull used it for target practice. I hit it with the hose.......gone.

Bottom line (imo)...... if you enjoy waxing, keep it up, and enjoy the rewards of your effort.
I'm not going to know until 2023/24 if the av king stuff holds up. (I did put 2 coats on the front end, and there's still enough to do the car at least 5 more times, from the 3 bottles I bought).

Okay just turned 800 kms but no oil change (service) yet, maybe tomorrow. Tach still shows yellow around 3,500 rpms.....gave it a good shot in first tonight, shifted into second, hit throttle and no power.........This has happened a few times.......am I going too deep in second and the car is applying traction control (I'm not feeling wheel slip) or is the computer shutting off my fuel/electronics because I don't have that 800 km service yet and I'm demanding more than the car will provide during this break in period?

Cobra

Okay just turned 800 kms but no oil change (service) yet, maybe tomorrow. Tach still shows yellow around 3,500 rpms.....gave it a good shot in first tonight, shifted into second, hit throttle and no power.........This has happened a few times.......am I going too deep in second and the car is applying traction control (I'm not feeling wheel slip) or is the computer shutting off my fuel/electronics because I don't have that 800 km service yet and I'm demanding more than the car will provide during this break in period?

Cobra

Hummmm sounds fishy to me. You should be rocked hard into your seat with the rears breaking loose before the traction control and AHM kicks in aggressively.

Best get the car in and get the 800 oil change find out what’s going on.

Cobra

This is normal. The yellow line at 3500 RPM will still be there a little bit passed 800kms. I think it goes off at 500 miles. It will also still be there at any mileage if your engine is not warmed up. You'll see the line slowly going back towards 6500 mark as the engine warms up. And for your lack of power, as Derek stated it shouldn't happen unless you see the traction control light coming up. This is unusual. Personally I wouldn't punch it before the first oil change is done not to get too much of that dirty metal-filled oil through the engine at high temp & pressure, but that's just me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.