[/QUOTE="lupo, post: 158422, member: 3891"]
Cobra--Don't recall if you got an Auto, but a quick little punch will activate performance shifting and then you just worry about having two hands on the wheel.

I ordered a M7. No automatic for me thanks! I just like the connection to the car with shifting gears!

[/Quote]"relax and wait for the tach to release the car to you at about 1000km. The redline will shift up to 6500 automatically as your driving along once the car is happy with the initial breakin."[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure what your saying here? Are you stating that the computer limits higher rpm's until the car has 1000kms on it?

As well, regarding the comment to water and temperature, are you advising me that with the factory tires, that when driving that car at highway speeds in the rain that it is more prone to hydroplaning than traditional cars?

Cobra
[/QUOTE]

Cobra--you can exceed the RPM limit of 4000RPM on break in--it's just not recommended. My understanding is that it provides a visual warning rather than an actual limiter. The Corvette Gods will not strike you down for exceeding it--just be reasonable for the first 1000 KM and you should be fine.

Regarding tires, you probably have Michelin PSS which is a fantastic tire. Like any high performance tire, they are made from harder compounds which provide superior traction WHEN WARM. The PSS are a fantastic compromise between extreme performance and day to day driveability and are more forgiving than the SC2's. However if you fire up the Z06 in 5C weather and immediately let it rip you might be sorry you did it. Just let them warm up a bit and you are good to go.
Lastly, the tread on the PSS is a summer tread--so consider what I just said above, add to it wet conditions (sometimes regardless of temperature), and the fact the tires are wide as hell, and yes, you should be aware of hydroplaning. Common sense will completely mitigate most of these variables.

DO SEARCH 4 OTHERS MATTER

it means to look for the corvette truth in what others may say from time to time

the manual & paint code says DAYTONA SUNRISE ORANGE METALLIC

luv ya all

Da, I'm so stupid........that's also my favourite Corvette colour! Oh how I wish that that colour was still available, but many on the forum here say I'll be more than happy with Long Beach Red.......I've ordered my colour sight unseen, other than pics on the net!

Cobra.

Last edited:
Da, I'm so stupid........that's also my favourite Corvette colour! Oh how I wish that that colour was still available, but many on the forum here say I'll be more than happy with Long Beach Red.......I've ordered my colour sight unseen, other than pics on the net!

Cobra.

Haha don’t sweat it Cobra. There are lots of little acronyms and abbreviations around this community that takes a bit of time to catch. That one had me for a while too. 😂

I'm not quite sure what your saying here? Are you stating that the computer limits higher rpm's until the car has 1000kms on it?

As well, regarding the comment to water and temperature, are you advising me that with the factory tires, that when driving that car at highway speeds in the rain that it is more prone to hydroplaning than traditional cars?

Cobra
[/QUOTE]

Yes. The redline on the tach is limited until the mileage stated is reached. When you get there, 1st oil change required, and yes, you will visually see the redline "jump" to its permanent placement.
As for the tires......they are basically 'slicks'. Very little siping for wet conditions. There's a 'wet' setting on the mode selector.
[/QUOTE]
Looking forward to activating the higher redline on mine! Think i may have to put it on the hoist and let it run in 7th gear for a day haha. Then my first actual drive to Calgary can be unrestricted. Damn mountain pass stays messy way too long for my liking.

My dealer called me this week with exciting news. I ordered my Z06 back on October 04th, but due to living in Northern Ontario they told me that the order would sit until spring. Well Tuesday I was advised that my car is scheduled for production May 06th, so I'm hoping that I'll see it late May.

I'm still disappointed that factory tours are closed because I would have purchased either the build tour or photo album package. Unfortunately both remain temporarily unavailable.

I've watched a number of YouTube videos on all things C7 however two recent viewings have me concerned. I would like to add, I've fooled around in high performance cars my whole life, and I believe that I have strong, well above average driving skills, but I'm actually scared about losing control of my soon to be delivered Z06!

Both videos say that the C7 Z06 has way too much power for the car and one indicated that at 70 mph in second gear (manual transmission) if you throttle it, the rear tires will break loose. Wow, wheel spin at 70 mph with simply applying power, that's unreal! They also said in the video where they compared a Z06 to a Viper ACR, that if you take the driver aids off of the Z06 and take the car to its limits that you'll kill yourself! This was a professional driver who stated that he would even kill himself with the driver aids turned off and driving the Z06 to it's limits.

Yikes......any comments? I would love to hear from my fellow Z06 forum members!

Cobra :Confused5:
IMHO too much power. A loaded GS is the way to go. Even at 460 HP my car can get crazy if I get a little heavy pulling away; besides, where I live, with the bad traffic, I am lucky to get to 120? I am past tracking a car; so, for me, 460 HP is more than enough to get around and pass anything real quick when I need to - LOL.

Too much power? Absolutely. Way too much power for the street.

Should you be scared? Damn right. Three years on and my car scares me, and I like it that way. A healthy dose is respect is required.

Some of the YT videos had the TC on, the owner of the red one said so on another Corvette forum. I have had mine step out before even with TC on.

I think as someone else mentioned Spring Mountain is a must, and for a great price. I was much more comfortable with the car after coming back and learning a different style of driving. At a local track Calabogie, just outside of Ottawa, I was very confident in what I wasn’t doing!

Flooring it is tricky, you want to be squeezing or laying into it more than an on/off switch. Just experiment in wide open spaces.

Way too much power. But one trip to redline will be so intoxicating that you will see that in the right conditions, there is never enough power!

Too much power? Absolutely. Way too much power for the street.

Should you be scared? Damn right. Three years on and my car scares me, and I like it that way. A healthy dose is respect is required.

Some of the YT videos had the TC on, the owner of the red one said so on another Corvette forum. I have had mine step out before even with TC on.

I think as someone else mentioned Spring Mountain is a must, and for a great price. I was much more comfortable with the car after coming back and learning a different style of driving. At a local track Calabogie, just outside of Ottawa, I was very confident in what I wasn’t doing!

Flooring it is tricky, you want to be squeezing or laying into it more than an on/off switch. Just experiment in wide open spaces.

Way too much power. But one trip to redline will be so intoxicating that you will see that in the right conditions, there is never enough power!

Agreed Coladin 100%! When I first got my Cobra Mustang twenty years ago, initially I couldn't believe how quickly you would hit red line and I had to learn to shift more quickly. Having 320 hp back then seemed more than enough, for like about a couple of months then I was wanting much more.

I didn't want to experience that again with a LT1 so that is why I opted for the LT4. I'd rather have more even if I'm using less!

Cobra ;);)

Last edited:
Agreed Coladin 100%! When I first got my Cobra Mustang twenty years ago, initially I couldn't believe how quickly you would hit red line and I had to learn to shift more quickly. Having 320 hp back then seemed more than enough, for like about a couple of months then I was wanting much more.

I didn't want to experience that again with a LT1 so that is why I opted for the LT4. I'd rather have more even if I'm using less!

Cobra ;);)
My brother had the 97 SVT, sweet car! You will be just fine, just enjoy Spring Mountain, and the best sounding V8 out there

• Clever
Reactions: Cobravenomous
My dealer called me this week with exciting news. I ordered my Z06 back on October 04th, but due to living in Northern Ontario they told me that the order would sit until spring. Well Tuesday I was advised that my car is scheduled for production May 06th, so I'm hoping that I'll see it late May.

I'm still disappointed that factory tours are closed because I would have purchased either the build tour or photo album package. Unfortunately both remain temporarily unavailable.

I've watched a number of YouTube videos on all things C7 however two recent viewings have me concerned. I would like to add, I've fooled around in high performance cars my whole life, and I believe that I have strong, well above average driving skills, but I'm actually scared about losing control of my soon to be delivered Z06!

Both videos say that the C7 Z06 has way too much power for the car and one indicated that at 70 mph in second gear (manual transmission) if you throttle it, the rear tires will break loose. Wow, wheel spin at 70 mph with simply applying power, that's unreal! They also said in the video where they compared a Z06 to a Viper ACR, that if you take the driver aids off of the Z06 and take the car to its limits that you'll kill yourself! This was a professional driver who stated that he would even kill himself with the driver aids turned off and driving the Z06 to it's limits.

Wow crazy you had to wait!

The good thing is that you have various modes Track is the stiffest and most aggressive next is sport next is everyday setting next and last is weather. Then you have traction control I always have that on.

Congratulations!

I've been into musclecars since the 1960s, including a done up '68 Ram Air Firebird, a 1969 COPO Chevelle and various others over the years. The horsepower of them doesn't remotely compare to what we have available today. They could still get people in trouble when not used to them. We have a six speed 2005 and it can be a handful if you get silly and it is nothing compared the new stuff. I had the privilege of driving a friend's 2019 650 hp Corvette. Yes, at highway speeds, it can very easily break the tires loose and get an inexperienced person in trouble in a big hurry. If you are new to the horsepower world, be extra careful until you develop a feel for the car. Disaster can be one foolish move away and we don't want to see that. There now, Grandpa has spoken his piece. ;)

I meant in an automatic transmission

in a manual you dump the clutch and hang on in most gears, sorry not to have been more specific

From what I've been hearing (no Corvette yet ha ha) you don't have to dump the clutch as you're describing. With the Z06 I believe it's strictly hard on the gas and the tires erupt laying down two strips of almost 14" of rubber.........but let's wait to hear from C7-Z06 owners to chime in!.

If you're at 65mph and simply rev the engine and drop the clutch, I imagine you could get a 200hp car to spin the tires!

Cobra

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith Tedford
So a question for all

HOW EASY IS IT TO BREAK THE TIRES LOOSE AT 65 mph or 110 Kms

inquiring minds want to know
The friend's car that I drove is automatic. At 65 mph, I gave it enough throttle that it dropped a couple of gears was breaking loose as I let up. Traction control on all the time might be a good idea. These days, they are talking about real horses not the advertised horses from the musclecar era.

Reactions: ddgermann
From what I've been hearing (no Corvette yet ha ha) you don't have to drop the clutch as you're describing. With the Z06 I believe it's strictly hard on the gas and the tires erupt laying down two strips of almost 14" of rubber.........but let's wait to hear from C7-Z06 owners to chime in!.

Cobra

Yes, that's exactly correct. I wasn't implying any clutch use in my post above.
I spent the late morning, early aft today, ramping. Come off, and enter hiways, making the loops.
When entering the hiway, hammer down on a lane change, (this can be fun anytime on the hiway) and enjoy whatever happens! I don't smile.....it makes me laugh.....I love it.....crazy / manageable power.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.