Jun 23, 2017
FARNHAM, QC
VetteCoins
Car
STINGRAY 2016
Province
QC
Great quote at the end.
When I started in mechanics the generator was being phased out for the alternator. Looks like the generator may be coming back
if the article is correct.
Source:
MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

Last week we all became aware of the reports that the C8 Corvette is being delayed over electrical problems and while we didn’t want to believe it at first, it does appear that something is amiss with the new Corvette’s electrical system.
I’m no electrical engineer and we have no information on the type of the electrical system in the new Mid-Engine Corvette, but lucky for us we have friends on the MidEngineCorvetteForum.com who have been digging into this issue and have come up with some fascinating information about modern-day automotive electrical systems.

Since the 1950s most vehicles have operated with a 12V electrical system and battery which provided plenty of starting power for most vehicles. Today’s vehicles are more power-hungry and “more juice” is needed to start and run the new electronic systems as manufacturers have replaced previous mechanical-driven components with more efficient electrical-powered components including power steering racks, electric brake vacuum pumps and electric water pumps to name a few. Then you have all the new infotainment options as well as creature comforts like heated or cooled seats, lane departure warnings, and even adaptive cruise control systems that need to be powered as well, and you can see how a 12-volt system could be in danger of being maxed out.

The alternative to the 12V system that most automakers are going with are 48V systems which provide more than enough electrical power through the system. Not only does a 48V system have the juice to handle the new electronics, but they can also offer the ability for more performance and fuel economy savings. In fact, 48V systems are described as “mild hybrids” because the alternator is replaced with an electric generator to provide the additional electrical power. As more of the mechanical components can be converted to electric systems, that means less parasitic power loss to engines which improves fuel economy, reduces emissions and increases power.

One article we read touts Audi as using a 48V system in conjunction with an electrically powered supercharger which boosts power at low engine speeds without the lag of an exhaust-driven turbo is known for, while a lithium-ion battery in the trunk recaptures energy from regenerative braking. When the ZR1 first came out, we learned the massive supercharger draws about 100 horsepower from the engine. Think about the power that could be gained if more mechanical systems could be off-loaded to an electrical power system.

Delphi is one of the leading providers of 48V systems and here is a great graphic that shows more about a 48-volt electrical system.

Another aspect of what Corvette engineers are dealing with may have to do with the higher performance models. The rumors of the C8 Corvette have been pretty strong that a hybrid “E-Ray Corvette” that makes upwards of 1,000 hp through a combination of an internal combustion engine and electric motors on the wheels. We’ve also seen some recent patents like this control system for active aerodynamics that are rumored for the C8 as well. Obviously, a system like that would need a much more robust electrical system to handle those electrical loads.

So going back to the Corvette’s electrical woes, we can imagine several scenarios where either they went with the 12V system similar to the C7s for cost savings and they are finding it’s just not enough power, or they went with the 48V system and are having some growing pains in getting all the systems to work correctly. A third option might be a hybrid 12V/48V system that divides the system for lights and vehicle starting vs everything else. As Corvette is the “technological tip of the spear” for GM, it seems unlikely that engineers would go with any system that isn’t state of the art.

I guess what really gets my goat in the electrical delay story are the comments that say Chevy engineers are morons who don’t know what they are doing when in fact what they are doing is probably so much more.

When the story of the delay got out there, Paul Koerner, a GM World-Class Technician at Jackson Chevrolet in Connecticut left us this comment and we are wrapping up this article with his words:

Regardless of what people think they know or do not, the following holds true. Global B electronics architecture is a very amazing system and it has had growing pains in other motor vehicle manufacturer lines and this is why preproduction testing is so critical and why we have seen vehicles in Colorado, Florida and overseas. Multiple conditions and usages, my advise is: Be patient and short cuts are not part of Corvette engineering.

Great advice Paul!

I was initially a skeptic of the need to go to a 48 volt system, but after doing extensive reading of technical articles (though lay-person-understandable), I have shifted 180 degrees and believe it is critical to make the shift. Some nice side effects can include more power, lower emissions, less throttle lag, and more. And it is not therefore surprising that already more than 10 major OEMs similarly have 48V on at least some on of their models — which future conversion as their new models come on line — and far from just hybrids need such a system. Here is a detailed collection of technical, though easy to read, articles on why 48V is becoming more and more important and critical to not just us Corvette owners but all purchasers of new vehicles:

C8 Gets Needed 48V: A Technical Deep Dive - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

It will live ….
with more power …
It will live …
tumblr_oxm5v0NxF81wzvt9qo1_500.gif
frankenstein460.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Zora and ddgermann
Fascinating article. Indeed far more to this story than the subwoofers or blower motor for the seat cooling acting up. I took the Spring Mountain Motor Resort owners course and shared quite a few beers with a GM electrical engineer. Although he wouldn’t tell me squat about anything in development; he did describe what his job is quite thoroughly. It far more in depth than I would have ever guessed. Seriously smart fellow and truly was a fun guy to drive, study and hang out with. Gave me a whole new respect for what actually does go into designing a car. And yes he did work on corvettes too. Generation...?? He just smiled and shook his head. 😂

This is very interesting information for sure. Electrical systems are not the most "sexy" topic, so they aren't often mentioned, but clearly the changes in what we demand from our cars, and what we do with the power they use, and the power they create, is causing a shift in what has been a relatively static area since the 1950's. It's funny, because being such a car guy, I've never actually turned my mind to the electrical system in any of my cars. It just does it's thing and I have no clue what it's doing. Understanding how to properly torque a bolt, or how a turbo charger/supercharger works etc. is fairly commonplace, but the electrical system? Forget it. Mumbo jumbo witchcraft going on in the background that I haven't understood, or had a desire to understand.

Now, however, with cars like the NSX, I've started to get more interested in the use of electric motors (it has three plus the twin turbo V6 so four motors in total). The NSX uses the direct drive electric motor sandwiched between the V6 and the transmission to start the car (so there is no "starter motor" per se) and to provide torque fill when you press the gas and the turbos haven't spooled yet (it has 47 hp and about 100 lb/ft of torque). The two motors in the front provide additional power for acceleration (36 hp each), but also are used to provide "counter torque" for real torque vectoring and rotating the car during turns. One interesting thing to note about the NSX.....it weighs 3800lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a very heavy car by sports car standards!!!! I can't help but wonder, if they had nixed the three electric motors, and just went with an internal combustion engine, how much weight they would've saved? The weight clearly isn't hurting the NSX, as I've seen it in a drag race with an Lamborghini Aventador, and guess who wins the 1/4 mile both in stock form? The NSX! It does the quarter mile in less than absolutely optimal conditions in 10.8 seconds!!! Honda/Acura argue that the NSX's weight actually works to it's advantage....they don't seem wrong about that, kinda like the Nissan GTR.....

So, here's the thing. My Z06/07 I believe weighs in at somewhere around 3600lbs, which is about 400 lbs heavier than the C6 Z06, which came in at about 3200 lbs. Any guesses on how much heavier the C8 Corvette is going to be if we start adding electric motors, generators, on and on.............. Also, any thoughts on how much more expensive the C8 is going to be if this 48v system is incorporated in the car, and more sophisticated items like active aero, lane departure, and adaptive cruise control are being utilized? None of these features are currently available on Corvettes. I really don't want the car to gain any more weight.

The NSX MSRP in Canada is 189K + 3K for destination fee, so it comes in at $192K before you start adding any options. You can easily add $30K in options with just the carbon ceramic brakes, special paint (Valencia Red or the Blue), and a carbon fiber roof. Just three options and you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy north of $200K. Do people still think the C8 is going to be under $100K in Canada when we are starting to talk about the technology they are surely considering putting in this car?

I love the quote, "shortcuts aren't part of Corvette engineering". I agree. I have a lot of faith in the team. My car never misses a beat, and I use it in ways that 99% of Corvette owners wouldn't even consider.........these guys really know what they are doing. We're going to have to be patient and let them have the time to get this right. ;)

This is very interesting information for sure. Electrical systems are not the most "sexy" topic, so they aren't often mentioned, but clearly the changes in what we demand from our cars, and what we do with the power they use, and the power they create, is causing a shift in what has been a relatively static area since the 1950's. It's funny, because being such a car guy, I've never actually turned my mind to the electrical system in any of my cars. It just does it's thing and I have no clue what it's doing. Understanding how to properly torque a bolt, or how a turbo charger/supercharger works etc. is fairly commonplace, but the electrical system? Forget it. Mumbo jumbo witchcraft going on in the background that I haven't understood, or had a desire to understand.

Now, however, with cars like the NSX, I've started to get more interested in the use of electric motors (it has three plus the twin turbo V6 so four motors in total). The NSX uses the direct drive electric motor sandwiched between the V6 and the transmission to start the car (so there is no "starter motor" per se) and to provide torque fill when you press the gas and the turbos haven't spooled yet (it has 47 hp and about 100 lb/ft of torque). The two motors in the front provide additional power for acceleration (36 hp each), but also are used to provide "counter torque" for real torque vectoring and rotating the car during turns. One interesting thing to note about the NSX.....it weighs 3800lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a very heavy car by sports car standards!!!! I can't help but wonder, if they had nixed the three electric motors, and just went with an internal combustion engine, how much weight they would've saved? The weight clearly isn't hurting the NSX, as I've seen it in a drag race with an Lamborghini Aventador, and guess who wins the 1/4 mile both in stock form? The NSX! It does the quarter mile in less than absolutely optimal conditions in 10.8 seconds!!! Honda/Acura argue that the NSX's weight actually works to it's advantage....they don't seem wrong about that, kinda like the Nissan GTR.....

So, here's the thing. My Z06/07 I believe weighs in at somewhere around 3600lbs, which is about 400 lbs heavier than the C6 Z06, which came in at about 3200 lbs. Any guesses on how much heavier the C8 Corvette is going to be if we start adding electric motors, generators, on and on.............. Also, any thoughts on how much more expensive the C8 is going to be if this 48v system is incorporated in the car, and more sophisticated items like active aero, lane departure, and adaptive cruise control are being utilized? None of these features are currently available on Corvettes. I really don't want the car to gain any more weight.

The NSX MSRP in Canada is 189K + 3K for destination fee, so it comes in at $192K before you start adding any options. You can easily add $30K in options with just the carbon ceramic brakes, special paint (Valencia Red or the Blue), and a carbon fiber roof. Just three options and you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy north of $200K. Do people still think the C8 is going to be under $100K in Canada when we are starting to talk about the technology they are surely considering putting in this car?

I love the quote, "shortcuts aren't part of Corvette engineering". I agree. I have a lot of faith in the team. My car never misses a beat, and I use it in ways that 99% of Corvette owners wouldn't even consider.........these guys really know what they are doing. We're going to have to be patient and let them have the time to get this right. ;)

Very good comments and pontifications on pricing, weight and performance. That power vector thing is really interesting as well. Something new for corvette thinkers as we are taught to use that rear axle power to rotate the car past the apex in corners. I see a whole new way of driving a corvette coming.
I sure see how all this tech would be expensive to own as well. However I still think the C8 corvette will be available without the electrical drive system in the lower models for slightly more than what we pay for a similar optioned model C7. And then yes as you move up to the hypercar version the pricing moves up to match what you are getting.
What is quite exciting to me is the other creature comforts that corvette has never had will hopefully be on all the models as the tech is everywhere now and it would not be anything more than a general improvement for the car. Things that are practical and useful to the daily driver like lane departure tech, smart cruise control, auto wipers and headlight dimmers. Things that will not be performance related but just expected in such a high end car.
It’s going to be great to see how all this rolls out and how many versions of Corvette are on the way.

There are many electronic advances in the C8 — that are all going to require more juice, and GM’s initial attempts to say add in a bigger battery or generator for perhaps initially only for the hybrid ZORA (with electrical motors in the front wheels, AWD, 1,000 HP etc), could well have been, in my opinion, changed from above by Mary Barra or Mark Reuss, reflecting that already 10+ OEMs have started their brand conversion to 48V; and, maybe the direction from above to the Corvette team was, “we are going to similarly have every C8 have a 48V systems.” As those above five technical articles (within the initial link in OP), note, there are many advantages to 48V, including more torque, better fuel economy, lower emissions as possibilities. Let alone adaptive cruise control, blind spot protection, automatic emergency braking, and a roof mounted integrated 180 camera, being just four of the additional safety systems that will on their own need more juice.

For those who like to read and learn from technical articles, yet are not electrical wizards, they are written in a common sense, very understandable manner.

Reactions: flyboy999
. Things that are practical and useful to the daily driver like lane departure tech, smart cruise control, auto wipers and headlight dimmers. Things that will not be performance related but just expected in such a high end car.
Have lane departure on my Equinox. Shut that off pretty fast as it was warning me every time I would crane my neck at the good looking woman on the sidewalk or while inputting numbers on the phone or writing down some tunes.
Aside from that you will just about always stray a little bit every now and then.
Don't see much use for it on snow covered roads either.

Have lane departure on my Equinox. Shut that off pretty fast as it was warning me every time I would crane my neck at the good looking woman on the sidewalk or while inputting numbers on the phone or writing down some tunes.
Aside from that you will just about always stray a little bit every now and then.
Don't see much use for it on snow covered roads either.

Yes all and good but having the option to turn it off is the direction I’m looking for in the new corvette.

Reactions: Zora and flyboy999
Yes all and good but having the option to turn it off is the direction I’m looking for in the new corvette.
Didn't take me long to shut it off after turning it on.
I would even wonder about collision warning/brake systems. My Equinox(2012) has the warning but no automatic brake for which I am more than happy. Several times I have passed under low hanging road signs and the warning starts blaring to me with the red light flashing. The first time it happened I almost s**t myself. Luckily I did not have diarrhea.
Imaging an automatic brake system making that mistake in fast moving traffic on a major highway - where all mine have happened. There would probably be someone riding up your rear end cussing your driving skills.
Maybe the newer systems are better.

We have most of this shut off on the Cadillac too Richard. The one I want the most is the blind spot indicator on the mirrors. That is a fantastic feature that corvettes really need.

Corvette Alerts on the mirrors and forward and backup chimes would be awesome
along with option to engage and disengage them.
Corvette Lane change and collision alert a waste for me as the car is "very entertaining"
by my judging that for myself and false alerts would just make it a wasted option
as I would option for them being permanently off.
On option I once enjoyed was rain sense wipers for the odd time I am in the need.
Seat heat and cool is awesome and on a lighter note,
maybe with a way to mute the passenger and/or eject. 😁

Last edited:
Corvette Aletts on the mirrors and forward and backup chimes would be awesome with option to engage and disengage.
Corvette Lane change and collision alert a waste as the car has me the most entertained by judging that all myself and false alerts would just make it a wasted option being permanently off.
On option I once enjoyed was rain sense wipers for the odd time I am in the need.
Seat heat and cool is awesome but maybe with a way to mute the passenger seat area and/or eject. 😁
We buy our cars because we like the experience of driving them. Heaven help us when we get in a car and just tell it where to go. I have a few expletives for that which might get me banned here. Some "conveniences" can be more distracting than anything such as every time you pull out to pass you get a warning - like you didn't know what you were doing in the first place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.