This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Why the high price increase? Lets look at the numbers...

The analysis is done on the base price of the car as our provincial and federal taxes are higher than anywhere in the US. GM would only recover HST on what is paid by them and as far as I know they don't pay for the cars they order for internal use until the cars are sold off. Our cars even with the tax have been cheaper to buy than buying one in the US and paying US dollars and then importing it, if you had a US address to buy new in the past. The numbers will be closer now with the latest increase, but exporting isn't allowed on new cars on either side of the border.

Yes, and they can be fined for doing it and fined if an advertised vehicle price is not the actual price.
"Advertised vehicle price" is the key here. If they advertise a price for a specific vehicle they must abide by that price (not withstanding the BS dealer charges they tack on). But they can advertise a vehicle with any price they want on it and sell it for that price. Most that charge over MSRP will advertise the vehicle with a 'call dealer for availability and price.' MSRP is only suggested (thus the S).

Reactions: DenisC8
Does GM Canada pay hst on materials they buy to manufacture cars and then do they charge dealers hst on all of the Cars they sell to dealers in Canada and then recover hst they paid?

Does GM Canada pay hst on materials they buy to manufacture cars and then do they charge dealers hst on all of the Cars they sell to dealers in Canada and then recover hst they paid?
And then the dealership charges you HST when you buy the vehicle. It’s like buying fuel. Road tax, carbon tax, provincial tax and then tax on the tax at the till . And not even a kiss .

Too much to read and digest for an old guy like me; suffice it to say that the B.G. plant is a separate profit center and prices charged for the corvette have to be such to demonstrate a required ROC to justify it's existence.

You are quite correct, a loaded C8 of any variety, is getting well beyond the grasp of “Joe six-pack, and rightly so… it is now a totally different car.

I think we already know if ”this is a good decision” Caribocreek, they are selling like hotcakes at a car show and that is why the prices are rising. My HTC is now $50K (with all the taxes) more than what I paid for it in 2020. We all knew in 2020 that the C8 was a complete “steal” at $60K USD. Vette has enjoyed the exposure and sales it received at the entry pricing, now they have established market-share & will sell the C8 closer to its true market value. Happy Motoring!