Apparently there’s some controversy about whether to wrap around the edges or not. The Suntek is precut and doesn’t wrap around. I honestly have no idea which is better.
I have heard wrapping the edges gives a improved look overtime as the exposured edges will not be visible.

Last edited:
I have heard wrapping the edges gives a improved look overtime as the exposured edges will not be visible.
The problem with wrapping is you'll get creases or lines at the angles. No edge is perfectly straight. They curve etc. One can imagine how hard it would be to wrap all the edges.
On another note. I had done the places I thought were the most exposed. On all my cars the hood gets the stone chips while it is rare to get a chip on the roof or tail. The edges that are exposed are somewhat protected by the wrapped body part in front decreasing the likelihood of getting chipped. Again, all this just decreases chances of being damaged. No protection is perfect so one must weigh the cost to the chances. Some say it's cheaper to get the car repainted in the long run. YMMV

The problem with wrapping is you'll get creases or lines at the angles. No edge is perfectly straight. They curve etc. One can imagine how hard it would be to wrap all the edges.
On another note. I had done the places I thought were the most exposed. On all my cars the hood gets the stone chips while it is rare to get a chip on the roof or tail. The edges that are exposed are somewhat protected by the wrapped body part in front decreasing the likelihood of getting chipped. Again, all this just decreases chances of being damaged. No protection is perfect so one must weigh the cost to the chances. Some say it's cheaper to get the car repainted in the long run. YMMV
Thanks, I was referring to the unwrapped edges of the PPF collecting dirt and then becoming visible over time.

Thanks, I was referring to the unwrapped edges of the PPF collecting dirt and then becoming visible over time.
Ya, I got that. That's why I said "On another note" ;)
BTW, A friend with a 2017 Camaro ZL1 had his wrapped since new and there are no lines visible .... yet.

Reactions: JoeyBats
No wrap to protect the externals why do oil changes to protect the internals? If you believe a mechanically well maintained car brings maximum value to resale why would external protection not be somewhat cost recoverable as well?

6 months driving in Alberta will have you convinced on at least a partial wrap.

No wrap to protect the externals why do oil changes to protect the internals? If you believe a mechanically well maintained car brings maximum value to resale why would external protection not be somewhat cost recoverable as well?

6 months driving in Alberta will have you convinced on at least a partial wrap.
I don’t do oil changes for resale value I do them to preserve the life of the engine. Two different issues here. With PPF the issues would be resale value and trying to protect the cosmetic appearance of the body. While I acknowledge that PPF will protect the cosmetic appearance I am not sure how much it increases resale value, unless you have totally trashed the front end.

I don’t want to see PPF lines on my car whatsoever so finding an installer that can accomplish this on the C8 is difficult.....not impossible but difficult IMHO.

I don’t do oil changes for resale value I do them to preserve the life of the engine. Two different issues here. One is resale value and one is trying to protect the cosmetic appearance of the body. While I acknowledge that PPF will protect the cosmetic appearance i am not sure how much it increases resale value unless you have totally trashed the front end.

I don’t want to see PPF lines on my car whatsoever so finding an installer that can accomplish this on the C8 is difficult.....not impossible but difficult IMHO.
I see absolutely no lines on mine. I'm amazed you did. What PPF did you use? Mine is "Ceramic Pro Kavaca". My friend had Xpel done and I couldn't see any lines on his. He had to point it out to me. That was last year, so 3 or 4 years on his car.

BTW, Mine hood edge is wrapped, but not on the bumper edge adjacent to it.

I don’t do oil changes for resale value I do them to preserve the life of the engine. Two different issues here. With PPF the issues would be resale value and trying to protect the cosmetic appearance of the body. While I acknowledge that PPF will protect the cosmetic appearance I am not sure how much it increases resale value, unless you have totally trashed the front end.

Oil changes to preserve life of the engine. Check. Does PPF not preserve the life of the body?

I have no lines on mine.

Hello everyone
I had a 2018 Grand Sport coupe. Black on red. Beautiful car. Thought I was going to keep it forever. So I had the car fully ppf'd and ceramic coated as well. Wheels done too. The whole 9 yards. Well then wouldn't you know it, I discovered the Z06. It's a 2019 Black on red again. Had to have the last year of the manual. So I grabbed it. No hesitation. This time around I wouldn't be ppf'ing it. I went with the ceramic coating only, on the whole car. Saved myself over 5 grand. The first time around I was new to the vette world and thought "I've got to protect this car". This time I thought "what if I don't keep the car "forever" what a waste of money". I just spent all that money for the next guy to enjoy. Not me, not this time. I'm no sucker. Once burned, twice shy. As the saying goes. I can only say to anyone who's thinking about ppf'ing their car, think about how long you plan on keeping it. If it's for 2 or 3 years, save your money. Spend it on accessories or maybe a frontend car bra. Just take a second and think " am I gonna keep it for a few years, or trade it in for a newer model?" It's a lot of money to fork over. I'd rather keep it in my pocket, then give it to the next guy. Just my 2 cents.

I will do PPF on the front and sides down low, plus mirrors. No need to do the entire car. My C6 has PPF on front bumper and the leading half of the hood. Virtually no rock chips on other parts of the car that do not have PPF after 10 years of driving.

As far are ceramic coating, you can do that yourself and save a bundle. I did my Lexus sedan with Adams and it looks great for under $200 (took me about 8 hours to fully polish and ceramic coat the Lexus).

Reactions: PistolPetesC8
I'm lazy these days. If I can afford something I'd rather pay for it. I can't afford another new car, but you can see value in keeping your car as clean as you can. I never thought I'd sell my Camaro's, but got great value for them by keeping them pristine. But it's also about YOU enjoying YOUR car. To me part of enjoying the car is looking at it and babying it, but also driving it. It's a tradeoff. We drive it all winter long and want to keep it looking it's best under those conditions for as long as I can. All these protection options will always be personal choice.

I'll be interested in seeing how LarryD does with his PPF application. Not something I'd want to do as everyone tells me it takes a pro to do it properly. Maybe it only takes a Larry! ;)

View attachment 79436View attachment 79437
Here’s the pieces to the Suntek Ultra that I had installed
The cut out pieces mostly worked on mine except for a few that didn't want to cooperate. Around the rear letters they said just wasn't lining up good enough so they removed the letters to do a better job. Then put the letters back on. Maybe I should have left the letters off because had a couple thinking it was a McLaren already. LOL.

To wrap or not to wrap: that is the question:​

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer​

The stones and bird do of outrageous fortune,​

Or to take ppf against a sea of troubles,​

And by opposing end them? To wrap; to sleep;​

No more; and by a sleep to say we end​

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks​

That paint is heir to, 'tis a consummation​

Devoutly to be wish'd. To wrap, to sleep;​

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;​

For in that sleep what dreams may come of Z06,​

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,​

Must give us pause: there's the respect​

That makes calamity of so long a Vette’s life;​

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,​

The non-wrap wrong, the proud man's contumely,​

The pangs of despised paint, the law's delay,​

The insolence of the dealer and the spurns of the unwrapped​

That patient merit of the full wrapped takes,​

When he himself might his quietus make​

With a bare paint job? who would ceramic bear,​

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,​

But that the dread of something after stone chip,​

The undiscover'd country of un-oxidized paint from whose bourn​

No Vette returns, puzzles the will​

And makes us rather bear those ills we have​

Than fly to Camaro owners that we know not of?​

Thus wrap and ceramic coatings doth make cowards of us all;​

And thus the native hue of untouched paint​

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of clear Suntek,​

And enterprises of great angst on CCF,​

With this regard their eyes they turn awry from coloured decal,​

And lose the name of action.--Stop you now! You Wrapper!​

The fair Corvette! Nymph, in thy unwrapped glory​

Be all my chips and rust be remember'd!”​

Reactions: 12cents and gone

To wrap or not to wrap: that is the question:​

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer​

The stones and bird do of outrageous fortune,​

Or to take ppf against a sea of troubles,​

And by opposing end them? To wrap; to sleep;​

No more; and by a sleep to say we end​

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks​

That paint is heir to, 'tis a consummation​

Devoutly to be wish'd. To wrap, to sleep;​

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay,

For in that sleep what dreams may come of Z06,​

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,​

Must give us pause: there's the respect​

That makes calamity of so long a Vette’s life;​

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,​

The non-wrap wrong, the proud man's contumely,​

The pangs of despised paint, the law's delay,​

The insolence of the dealer and the spurns of the unwrapped​

That patient merit of the full wrapped takes,​

When he himself might his quietus make​

With a bare paint job? who would ceramic bear,​

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,​

But that the dread of something after stone chip,​

The undiscover'd country of un-oxidized paint from whose bourn​

No Vette returns, puzzles the will​

And makes us rather bear those ills we have​

Than fly to Camaro owners that we know not of?​

Thus wrap and ceramic coatings doth make cowards of us all;​

And thus the native hue of untouched paint​

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of clear Suntek,​

And enterprises of great angst on CCF,​

With this regard their eyes they turn awry from coloured decal,​

And lose the name of action.--Stop you now! You Wrapper!​

The fair Corvette! Nymph, in thy unwrapped glory​

Be all my chips and rust be remember'd!”​

I did the front clip fully with sides back to rear wheels and mirrors. Happy with results.
Andrew, did all the micro air bubbles eventually disappear?​