May 1, 2016
VetteCoins
This is a where you can tell the rest of us about a memorable trip in your Corvette. It can be whatever you choose – a cruise with others, a trip to a unique destination etc. Please provide some background on the trip, description, location and any other relevant information so we can maybe make the same trip. Here is my contribution to start things off.

Tail of the Dragon is a mountain pass along the North Carolina–Tennessee state line, bordering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and near the Little Tennessee River. It is considered by many as one of the world's foremost motorcycling and sports car touring roads. Most people start at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort to head down the 318 curves in the 11 mile (18 km) on this stretch of US 129. We caravanned down with our local club and eleven Corvettes but because we stayed in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee we came to the Dragon from the other end. Watch out for the bikers coming too fast towards you! Deals Gap is a good turn around with all the facilities as well as souvenirs of the Dragon. Dolly Parton was born near Sevierville, TN only 10 km from Pigeon Forge so do I need to tell you more. The Dragon is better than any roller coaster I’ve ever been on. Try it or run it again if you have already done it!

Attachments

• lll.PNG
    lll.PNG
    143.5 KB · Views: 108
My most memorable trip was in my C6 (gone but never forgotten) to Alaska - left from Toronto with my son (nine at the time) and the return trip was 12,000 km plus a two day ferry ride.

Here are a couple of my favourite pics from the trip:

View attachment 84001
View attachment 84002
Wow! That is some trip. How were the roads? Smart to have a mask and before COVID.

Reactions: Mad*Max
2019 INDIANAPOLIS SPEEEDWAY
Ontario caravan stacked (Bowling Green 25th anniversary) up to run the speedway.
They took us out in two waves for two laps on the speedway unfortunately with a pilot car.
I was fairly far back in the first wave and held back to create some distance to the car in front and then gave it the pedal to catch up. Great experience.

DSC_0692.JPG

Last edited:
2019 INDIANAPOLIS SPEEEDWAY
Ontario caravan stacked (Bowling Green 25th anniversary) up to run the speedway.
They took us out in two waves for two laps on the speedway unfortunately with a pilot car.
I was fair;y far back in the first wave and held back to create some distance to the car in front and then gave it the pedal to catch up. Great experience.

View attachment 84019
Any word on this trip going again? I missed out last year going with the Corvette Pace Car Registry group to Indy because of COVID and would love to make that trip with a group.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
The club in Toronto organized the caravan (over 60 Vettes) of which the Eastern Ontario club (Kingston) was a part of. I tagged along with them. It was a "big" event because of the 25th anniversary of the museum. Word was that there were over 30K Corvettes in town that weekend. I believe it!
At any rate your best chance would be to see if anyone in the GTA club is organizing a caravan for next year. There is a lot of organization to successfully pull off a trip like this. Had a great time and met a lot of great people. Be prepared to pay top dollar for a room if you are there on an anniversary weekend. I had to pay 10 months in advance to reserve.
I had been planning to run the Blue ridge parkway - Blue Ridge Parkway Home - Blue Ridge Parkway and then come back up through B.G, but, as yourself, CV-19 has gotten in the way. When you get to the bottom end of the parkway you can take in the Tail Of The Dragon as well. Hopefully next year.

Last edited:
This is a where you can tell the rest of us about a memorable trip in your Corvette. It can be whatever you choose – a cruise with others, a trip to a unique destination etc. Please provide some background on the trip, description, location and any other relevant information so we can maybe make the same trip. Here is my contribution to start things off.

Tail of the Dragon is a mountain pass along the North Carolina–Tennessee state line, bordering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and near the Little Tennessee River. It is considered by many as one of the world's foremost motorcycling and sports car touring roads. Most people start at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort to head down the 318 curves in the 11 mile (18 km) on this stretch of US 129. We caravanned down with our local club and eleven Corvettes but because we stayed in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee we came to the Dragon from the other end. Watch out for the bikers coming too fast towards you! Deals Gap is a good turn around with all the facilities as well as souvenirs of the Dragon. Dolly Parton was born near Sevierville, TN only 10 km from Pigeon Forge so do I need to tell you more. The Dragon is better than any roller coaster I’ve ever been on. Try it or run it again if you have already done it!
Was that from 2021?
My next trip there will be my 11th. Can't wait.

The club in Toronto organized the caravan (over 60 Vettes) of which the Eastern Ontario club (Kingston) was a part of. I tagged along with them. It was a "big" event because of the 25th anniversary of the museum. Word was that there were over 30K Corvettes in town that weekend. I believe it!
At any rate your best chance would be to see if anyone in the GTA club is organizing a caravan for next year. There is a lot of organization to successfully pull off a trip like this. Had a great time and met a lot of great people. Be prepared to pay top dollar for a room if you are there on an anniversary weekend. I had to pay 10 months in advance to reserve.
I had been planning to run the Blue ridge parkway - Blue Ridge Parkway Home - Blue Ridge Parkway and then come back up through B.G, but, as yourself, CV-19 has gotten in the way. When you get to the bottom end of the parkway you can take in the Tail Of The Dragon as well. Hopefully next year.
Like you we did Blue Ridge Parkway on the way home. Was the Museum and Indy trip organized by John P.? If yes, maybe catch you at The Kingston Invasion next June.

Like you we did Blue Ridge Parkway on the way home. Was the Museum and Indy trip organized by John P.? If yes, maybe catch you at The Kingston Invasion next June.
I've been booked in to the K.I. since 2019 See you there.
No, J.P. did not organize it. And unfortunately he had medical problems and could not make it.
DSC_0565.JPG
The Ontario caravan to B.G. was organized by the Toronto (or thereabouts) group. The guys name is also John but can't recall his last name. The whole group came together in Cleveland as Toronto just had to drop down whereas from Kingston we had to cut across a little bit to get there. The next morning the whole caravan was staged to leave as one group. Quite the sight to see 60 plus corvettes pulling on to the interstate towards Indiannapolis

Wow! That is some trip. How were the roads? Smart to have a mask and before COVID.
Once you get up a certain latitude the roads are crap - they are "chip seal" roads which in simple terms is gravel with some gooey stuff holding it together. My car took a beating but no cracked windshield or flats fortunately.

Would I go again, absolutely, in a Corvette, no. It is God's country up there...

This other trip was only 8,000 and took it with my son who was 12 at the time. We went to Mt. Rushmore (South Dakota), Bear Tooth Pass (Montana), Yellowstone (Wyoming), Arches National Park (Utah) and Mt. Evans (Colorado) as some of the primary destinations.

You can see the snow in July on Bear Tooth's Pass below. I also put in some pics of Mt. Evans which is the highest paved road in North America at about 14,000 feet. Arches National Park reminds you of Road Runner/Wile E Coyote...lol

I am also throwing in a picture that shows the fuel efficiency of the C6, when I filled up the tank the car showed a range of 592 miles which is 950km!!!

IMG_2432 adjusted.jpg

IMG_2617 adjusted.jpg

IMG_2675 adjusted.jpg

IMG_2326 adjusted.jpg

IMG_2554 adjusted.jpg

IMG_2486 adjusted.jpg

North Eastern US. Stay off the interstates, the secondary highways and back roads are well maintained and twisty all day long.
A good trip is Lake Placid and area . Drop into the US at Ogdensburgh, (401 East between Brockville and Cornwall). This gets you into some interesting roads, terrific scenery down to Lake Placid. We set up there and did day trips. As I said twisty all day long and incredible .

North Eastern US. Stay off the interstates, the secondary highways and back roads are well maintained and twisty all day long.
A good trip is Lake Placid and area . Drop into the US at Ogdensburgh, (401 East between Brockville and Cornwall). This gets you into some interesting roads, terrific scenery down to Lake Placid. We set up there and did day trips. As I said twisty all day long and incredible .
I have dropped down there a few times myself. Can easily make it a day trip except for CV-19.
Great twisty road once off the interstate. The only trouble is the slow pokes and no place to pass. Best to go during the week.
I am just 30 minutes off the VT border.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Montana, Wyoming, Idaho run a few times with my C6. Then between the US $ exchange fiasco and then Covid, haven't been back for a while. Several trips through the Rockies to Vancouver since then in the C7 but itching for the western US again. Great roads, scenery and people. And of course going through highway patrol speed traps with the cruise set on 85 mph and them not even turning their heads...lol...And being able to gas up and buy ammunition at 15% off at the gas station is always a bonus too. Watch out for buffalo on the road though....

DSCN1658.JPG

DSCN1629.JPG

DSCN1631.JPG

DSCN1643.JPG

DSCN1803.JPG

DSCN1644.JPG
\

Montana, Wyoming, Idaho run a few times with my C6. Then between the US $ exchange fiasco and then Covid, haven't been back for a while. Several trips through the Rockies to Vancouver since then in the C7 but itching for the western US again. Great roads, scenery and people. And of course going through highway patrol speed traps with the cruise set on 85 mph and them not even turning their heads...lol...And being able to gas up and buy ammunition at 15% off at the gas station is always a bonus too. Watch out for buffalo on the road though....

View attachment 84323

View attachment 84328
View attachment 84325

View attachment 84324

View attachment 84326
View attachment 84327\
Wow is right...I bet hitting one of those would be even worse than hitting a moose (not that I would want anyone to find out the difference)

Drove from Barrie, Ontario to Phoenix, AZ for the winter in 2021. Then did Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Hwy), across to Vegas via Death Valley. Amazing and a 'must' road trip if you get the chance, especially in the Vette!!
47E3DE19-4848-45BA-9C86-6985C185A263.jpeg
143BC057-4731-498B-9DDD-9080E3EA222A.jpeg
71C71E0F-8F77-4108-865A-085D5FE1BB01.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.