Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
Well I screwed up a wheel stud through my own carelessness. Should have stopped when I knew I was running out of energy. I had not pushed the wheel on the hub far enough and the locking nuts tends to wobble when you first put them on. I managed to cross thread one the locking nut, the nut itself was not damaged. The stud was a different story.

I did not have the proper die so I sent and email to Keith Tedford, he looked into his tool box but did not have the right one either. I was concerned in any case that threading a die onto the stud would be a one shot chance and since the thread was damaged and therefore difficult to start it I did not hold out much hope. Keith mentioned something about a spring loaded die so the search was on for an alternative.

Found an American company called Murray Tool Corporation that manufactures spring loaded dies for exactly this purpose. The die expands and you fit it over the stud and then with a 1" deep socket work it backwards over the damaged thread. I ordered the kit from Amazon.com because a search for a Canadian supplier turned up empty.

As soon as I get it I will try to fix the one stud. Will let you know how it works, certainly much easier than removing the hub and pressing the stud out.

When I was lowering the car onto the wheel dollies, gently because you have to make sure the tire goes on straight. The one dolly collapsed and I have no idea why. It can be fixed but this putting the car away is getting to be too much work. I have my eye on an independent suspension billet aluminum walker that may replace the Z06. I am getting too old.:Banghead:

Reactions: nascar03
I will go back to the original search I did because there was a couple of other sets Boss that probably would suit your needs better. I will post it up here when I find the link. I really was impressed with how well the die was made and how well it worked.

Thanks.

The Boss I found a link to the full set of tools from Murray Tool Company. Hope this helps and hope it is alright to post the link. If you see a set that you think would work for you try searching for the product as I found a big difference in prices. Good luck.

Murray Tools Split Die Thread Repair System - Repair Threads Fast!

Reactions: theboss