Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
Well I screwed up a wheel stud through my own carelessness. Should have stopped when I knew I was running out of energy. I had not pushed the wheel on the hub far enough and the locking nuts tends to wobble when you first put them on. I managed to cross thread one the locking nut, the nut itself was not damaged. The stud was a different story.

I did not have the proper die so I sent and email to Keith Tedford, he looked into his tool box but did not have the right one either. I was concerned in any case that threading a die onto the stud would be a one shot chance and since the thread was damaged and therefore difficult to start it I did not hold out much hope. Keith mentioned something about a spring loaded die so the search was on for an alternative.

Found an American company called Murray Tool Corporation that manufactures spring loaded dies for exactly this purpose. The die expands and you fit it over the stud and then with a 1" deep socket work it backwards over the damaged thread. I ordered the kit from Amazon.com because a search for a Canadian supplier turned up empty.

As soon as I get it I will try to fix the one stud. Will let you know how it works, certainly much easier than removing the hub and pressing the stud out.

When I was lowering the car onto the wheel dollies, gently because you have to make sure the tire goes on straight. The one dolly collapsed and I have no idea why. It can be fixed but this putting the car away is getting to be too much work. I have my eye on an independent suspension billet aluminum walker that may replace the Z06. I am getting too old.:Banghead:

Reactions: nascar03
I have not used that new type of die but I hear it works well.
It is a great idea. It just makes sense to fix a thread starting from the good part. Inside-out.
I have tried using a normal die to perform repairs..it's hit/miss.
I assume you will let us know how it works ..maybe even a picture or two.
Murray Tool Company...! Really? LOL. Sounds reputable to me.

Graham

As soon as I get it I will try to fix the one stud. Will let you know how it works, certainly much easier than removing the hub and pressing the stud out.

When I was lowering the car onto the wheel dollies, gently because you have to make sure the tire goes on straight. The one dolly collapsed and I have no idea why. It can be fixed but this putting the car away is getting to be too much work. I have my eye on an independent suspension billet aluminum walker that may replace the Z06. I am getting too old.:Banghead:

Hmmmmm.....sounds like a regular every day for me Murray.....At least you remembered where you put your wheel dollies....:Ack2: and we won't even go into the plow truck issues I have been having....lol... chin up my friend.... Spring is around the corner....:D That's what keeps me motivated....

Boss, it is odd because I thought I did find a web site for Murray Tool, can't find it now but I did find this link that may be able to give you a little more information. There are a number of people selling them, tool suppliers etc. but the best deal I found was on Amazon.com.

In Focus: Murray Tools Split Die Thread Chaser

Hope this helps.

Hey forgot to say thank you for the offer to fix my wheel problem. Five and a half hours is the same as "I am just going out for milk, be back shortly".:Biggrin:

That's funny Murray. Raised in Nova Scotia, and my parents weren't long distance travellers, a 40 mile drive almost anywhere warranted an overnight stay along the way... lol.... Then I moved to Red Deer Alberta where a friend said "lets go grab a burger". Four hours later I'm home.That was the first burger and fries from "Peters" in Calgary that I ever had and it was common here to jump in the car and go to Calgary on a burger run many times after.....Of course since I owned my first Corvette, driving 250 km on a whim is nothing.... just can't be eating a messy burger in my car now.... hahahaha.....

Reactions: nascar03
Interesting story Eric. When we are travelling about in rural areas Wendy always asked the same thing, "where do these people shop". Traveling the Cabot Trail while the distances were not huge the drive, especially in the winter, would be horrendous. I guess it is all a matter of perspective and need. How badly do you want a good burger? Well four and half hours, that is a commitment so I guess a loaf of bread or a bag of milk falls into the same category.

I had no idea the spring loaded dies existed! That makes so much sense however, you only really need two studs to hold a wheel on.....:D

I haven't been to Peter's for a long time. Great burger joint.....it's just slightly past the "going for milk" distance. Maybe milk and a coffee. :D
I did do Calgary and back in one day in the Vette but that was to take a friend to pick up a Trans Am.

Next Spring when you're down for the Ponoka Meet, remind me and we'll do the Red Deer Peter's.... yup....we got a franchise now in Gasoline Alley.... and it's just as busy as Calgary's was...lol...

I've heard lots about Peter's Drive-In in Calgary, but I've never been there. I did go to the one in Red Deer, and I have to ask, what is the hype all about? The place is pretty plain (not like it's a beautiful 50's style diner), there's no real 'drive-in' there, the food is served at the counter inside. The milkshakes were tasty - but frankly, they are too thick and you have to let them melt a bit before you can drink the damn thing. The only good thing about it is that it's a good thing to get for a gal on your first date - if she can finish a milkshake before you can finish a coke, she's a keeper! The french fries were a huge box, but not very tasty, and the burger was quite possibly the worst burger I've ever had before in my life.

Anyway, derailed thread back on track - It's perhaps not great advice to tell someone to go ahead and drive a car with only 4 lugs torqued down, but when I broke a stud on my Trans Am I took it to a dealer and had them put a new one on for me for all of about $40. Some things just aren't worth the hassle.

Jeremaid it the car had not been "winterized" I think I would have done something different, perhaps as TheBoss suggested even pulled the brakes and hub myself but in all honestly I just ran out of energy. I did not want to leave it without at least trying plan "B" so that was the reason for buying the split die kit. The die for the stud was $19.00 but I bought a kit with five different sizes because we have so many trailers kicking around these days and you can never have enough tools.:Biggrin:

The kit is supposed to arrive in a week or so and I will let you know if it works or not. Pictures will follow. Thanks in any case for the restaurant review and good advice on the wheel stud.:Cheers2:

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder Jeremiad... Or in this case the mouth.... perhaps it's hit and miss, much like other restaurants.... Peter's is super popular and if the line ups are any indication, someone in Red Deer likes them. But to be perfectly honest, Five Guys and Fatburger Red Deer both make a good burger as well....
Now... for a great plate, Eric's kitchen still can't be beat... tonight's special was moose liver cooked medium, fried green tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and pan fried potatoes.... But I'm guessing not everyone's palate will be impressed by that either.... Oh Well! :confused::rolleyes:

fit4aking.jpg

Last edited:
Love this place. Started off with a stripped wheel stud then off to Montreal, Cabot Trail for milk and bread. Nova Scotia and parents perception of the length of trips. Off to Calgary for burgers and fries only 4.5 hours away, restaurant reviews and finally a pan of moose liver peppers and onions and now back to studs. It is what makes this forum special.:Biggrin::thumbs:

The kit arrived in record time. Nicely packaged in a hard plastic case with instructions too, threw those away!

IH6UMmKl.jpg

vnWH6QHl.jpg

The split thread expanded
qHaYxp7l.jpg

GnT4hfml.jpg

Checked that the tread was cleaned by running a lug nut over the threads.
docIqJTl.jpg

And there you go wheel back on tightened up.
cSJ2Q7Yl.jpg

Once the die is on the treaded part and you have added some machine oil to the threaded portion you can turn it by hand to ensure it is on the threads straight. Then I used a 12 point 1" deep socket that worked well because the face of the socket rests against the hub ensuring the die is cutting straight. Take a turn and back off a half turn, you can feel the resistance when the die starts cutting the damaged part. It took me longer to gather all the tools than to make the repair. Maybe one minute max, and I originally considered this a six beer job, never got the first one open.

Worked really well, money well spent. Murray Tool Corporation also makes some professional sets for commercial use and I can see these saving time and money.

I was impressed. Thanks again to Keith Tedford for the hint at what to look for.:thumbs:

Great job Murray. And a great play by play tutorial. Detailed and easy to follow. I will offer some advice though.

I too have occasionally hit upon a repair that went extremely well and quickly. With that, I also was totally prepared and had my six cold ones by my side.... but finished the job successfully before I had a chance to open the first beer. Determined that this would not happen again, I have taken upon the habit of .... prior to starting any job, no matter how long I think it will take, I open and drink four of the beer first.... then one more in the 2 minutes it takes to do the job... and the last one in celebration while sitting back admiring my work.

It's usually not until the next day that I realize I fixed the wrong wheel :Banghead::Banghead::Banghead: