Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
I've got a gripe about the way the C8 plays artists from the USB stick. All my music is in folders by artist and sub folder by album. When I go to play by artist it won't do it as far as I can tell. It will only play by album. So, it won't play all of my queen songs. For example it will only play the songs in the "Greatest Hits" folder and not the "Classic Queen" folder unless I switch to it. I'm pretty sure my aftermarket stereo in the Camaro would play all of queen etc. Anyone get this to work that way in the C8 or am I gonna have to change the layout?

On my C7 I use the USB as soon as the car starts up. What plays is what was on when I shutdown.
I have three files, OLDIE GOLDIES, Driving and, believe it or not, Classical.
Withing each folder it is only the songs so no separate folders within those three mentioned. Artist info comes up on screen when the song plays if it is available.
Something like computer files. You only get what is in that file. You want to see something else you have to switch files. So I think what you are getting is "normal". You get what is in the file. A little bit tedious but you would just had to set up another folder and transfer each song to it. At least you have all the music on the USB so it would not be an enormous job. Also would suggest you back up your USB just in case.

Song below is just to show that your problem has been put to lyrics. I wouldn't normally listen to this music, but just for you I toughed it out. LOL

On my C7 I use the USB as soon as the car starts up. What plays is what was on when I shutdown.
I have three files, OLDIE GOLDIES, Driving and, believe it or not, Classical.
Withing each folder it is only the songs so no separate folders within those three mentioned. Artist info comes up on screen when the song plays if it is available.
Something like computer files. You only get what is in that file. You want to see something else you have to switch files. So I think what you are getting is "normal". You get what is in the file. A little bit tedious but you would just had to set up another folder and transfer each song to it. At least you have all the music on the USB so it would not be an enormous job. Also would suggest you back up your USB just in case.

Song below is just to show that your problem has been put to lyrics. I wouldn't normally listen to this music, but just for you I toughed it out. LOL

Ya, I was afraid of that. I have MP3tag if I need to change any files, so no biggie, just means I need seperate folders for different music layouts.
I already have a public/music folder for all my albums. I have a home/music for my favourites off each album in the appropriate album folders. I have another music folder with my favourites in one big folder for MP3 players and now another for my favourite bands! LOL.

in this day and age people don't listen to music from folders on a USB stick
I don't want to play ALL my music in the car. Just my favourite bands.
You are stuck listening to all your music, though the issue would still apply if your music was laid out by album.

You are stuck listening to all your music, though the issue would still apply if your music was laid out by album.
What I like about a USB is you choose which songs you want on there unlike various satellite services which play certain genres of music such as R&B or R&R, etc. I don't necessarily like every song on any particular album or even what other people may like (to each their own) so I put only what I like on there. Even on shuffle the same song can come up a few times over several hours. Hence, one of my criteria's is if I wouldn't mind listening to this or that tune a couple of times in a day. If I decide I don't want to hear it again then a simple plug in to the computer, search for it and press delete. I still keep it in a folder on the computer itself though.
Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I listen to some of the titles on there but, if nothing else, it makes for diversity - in a good way.

Except for those of us who do.
I was doing just that through my Denon receiver when I read this! You can fit approximately 165,000 mp3 tracks on a 512 gb thumb drive complete with meta data which most ” infotainment systems “ can read and display.
same applies to SD cards . Drag and drop. Couldn’t be easier or more convenient IMHO . Unless of course you prefer to “ rent “ your music.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I have a Creative Labs x-fi mp3 player which is about 2.5 x2.5 inches in size with 32 gb storage and an SD slot . You can load it up with all of your favourite tracks, complete with the meta data and connect it either with a 1/8 inch mini jack or a USB cable. It came with a 4 inch one so doesn’t take up much space. Even the factory stereo in my 08 Tundra has no issues with it. For me I would go no other way except perhaps USB or SD card both of which the C8 handles. Nice thing about the player is I can connect it to any system with an 1/8 in connection or put it in my shirt pocket and listen to music on headphones while out in the yard, or anywhere for that matter.

I have over 1,100 songs on my 16gb USB with space left.
Averaging out the songs to 5mins each (some are over 10mins) = 5,500 mins or 91 hrs. or 11days at 8hrs /day.
More than enough to keep me happy and I add to them every year.
Yes . Hard to beat. I usually rip everything using FLAC and Exact Audio Copy. And for sure 16 gb is plenty. By the time you hear track 1,100 you’re ready to hear track 1 again, lol. There is a way to “ capture “ music streaming from Amazon Music as well which means access to millions of tracks. Lots of them are now remastered in HD audio as well as quite a few even in Dolby Atmos. Not sure if I should say how to do this on the forum as it is a bit dicey from a legal standpoint.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.