Bose is s**t. They make neat audio displays in their own environment to make things sound nice, but when things aren't tuned (like mass production domestic vehicles), they can even sound sub-par. The top-of-the-line Bose stereo that is still in my TBSS hasn't been turned on in months because I can't stand to listen to it. I'd prefer to go back to listening to a Walkman with a mono-speaker on the dashboard.

Installations of this stuff isn't too tough, though. There are harnesses between the deck and factory, so no wiring knowledge is required (unless you want to do amps and a big fancy system), and even speakers can be replaced with just a bit more fandangling of interior panels.

I remember it being a chore back many years ago having to wire a new deck in, but it was also typically the first modification I ever did. Man, domestics DO have a bad reputation for horrible sound systems. lol.

Reactions: Tinman
Bose is s**t. They make neat audio displays in their own environment to make things sound nice, but when things aren't tuned (like mass production domestic vehicles), they can even sound sub-par. The top-of-the-line Bose stereo that is still in my TBSS hasn't been turned on in months because I can't stand to listen to it. I'd prefer to go back to listening to a Walkman with a mono-speaker on the dashboard.

Installations of this stuff isn't too tough, though. There are harnesses between the deck and factory, so no wiring knowledge is required (unless you want to do amps and a big fancy system), and even speakers can be replaced with just a bit more fandangling of interior panels.

I remember it being a chore back many years ago having to wire a new deck in, but it was also typically the first modification I ever did. Man, domestics DO have a bad reputation for horrible sound systems. lol.
I'll take the factory alpine in the ol' ram anyday. Sounds great....with the addition of 1000 watts to the 12 inch sub under the backseat of course

Okay,I have been moving slow on this but we are closing in on the prize. Pioneer head unit arrived a while back. Today I finished off my wiring harness/adapter research and ordered the last of my parts.

So here's the list or trinkets so far:

Pioneer AVH-4201NEX double din head unit ( the wider double width stereo style our Vettes have). This is Pioneer's flagship model non navigation head unit. I will run nav through my phone app. This saves a ton of money due to the nav fees with the GPS companies. To go to the equivalent model with built in navigation, the cost jumps out to $1900. Here is a link to the information on the 4201 head unit AVH-4201NEX - 2-DIN Flagship Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display and included ND-BC8 Back-Up Camera.
Canadian Pioneer site doesn't list this unit yet as it is a brand new model. I found my head unit locally for a killer price, at a new player in the electronics game. Unit is $1050.00 Canadian. I found this at Singh electronics for the killer sale price of $849.00 shipping included. Everyone but Singh and 2001 wanted $1049. The price was $897.00 at 2001 Audio Video, not sure on shipping. The model it replaced the 4200 was selling for $850.00 on sale at most places still!

Wiring harness with necessary adapters to keep chimes etc, on a non Bose, no Onstar, no steering wheel control C6 is RP3GM11. Which I found on Amazon for a great price of $84.00 shipping included. Some places want $170-$180.

Metra dash install kit from Crutchfield .This fits all C6's, part number 95-3304 for $13.99 shipping included. This the preferred go to install kit for all the audio, and vette shops. Perfect factory finish/color matching piece.

The necessary antennae adapter, part number 40-GM10 from Metra. Bought on Amazon again. Cost $8.10 shipping included.

So that should be everything we need. once things arrive I'll pick a day and have at it. Doesn't look like it will be too crazy to do. I'll post any snags or relevant details I find along the way. Along with a few photos etc.

Diligent online shopping saved me a bunch of money. About $320.00 from the average asking prices I first found. It also yielded the information on the new 4200 series soon to be released. I almost bought the previous gen head unit until I heard they were about to debut the new 4201.

Addressing the "can't switch head units with Bose" mentioned above, yes you can. You just have to have the right harness/adapter that allows for the factory Bose amp. The companies specify which harnesses are needed for a Bose system.

Stay tuned for more. Yes that pun was intentional : )

One hundred percent correct Tinman. That is the adapter and harness package I found. Anyone planing to upgrade that has a Bose system, and steering wheel controls, this is your harness kit. There are a couple other companies who also make kits but PAC is a top choice for many installers and audio shops.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.