MM from previous post I gather you are a pretty handy guy. Are you going to make the swap yourself?

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

Most likely. I have been tinkering with cars and boats since I was ten years old. I have some gaps in my knowledge but can tackle most things.I use to run a business repairing boats and then took over the VP's position at a large dry-land marina. I find the internet can be a great source of information if you know how to weed out the junk. I haven't done much in regards to stereos before but have installed various marine electronics. I'll just need a proper harness and an adapter to keep my chimes etc. I've always got my tools in something. Hardly a year goes by I'm not rebuilding a boat or dropping an engine in something. Always at my buddies shops lending a hand etc.

This is the latest project. A Monterey 298 SC. Pair of rebuilt LS1 Mercruisers in it. Coupled to a pair of Merc Bravo III's. Runs fast for this style of boat, 60 and a bit mph on a radar gun : )
Nov 13th, 2016 088.JPG
Nov 13th, 2016 090.JPG
Nov 13th, 2016 091.JPG
Nov 13th, 2016 092.JPG
Nov 13th, 2016 094.JPG
Nov 13th, 2016 095.JPG

Last edited:
Still rigging and fitting things at this point. Hence the yellow poly lines tied off to help fish wiring. We were doing our first water test after dropping in the rebuilt motors and new harnesses.

let us know how it works out..

I most certainly will. I have zeroed in on the manufacturer's and models. Also started familiarizing myself with the parts I will need to do the install. Seems like decent information is pretty available with some searching. My 06 doesn't have Onstar or steering controls so less in the way of adapters and modules needed. I will post pics etc as I go. Might be a while until I get started. I have dollars going to tires and a few other areas first. Along with the boat above. Just had a few contracts fall short which seriously impacted the wallet : (

From what I have read I can expect a good change in sound quality from just installing a good quality head unit. Stay tuned! Pun intended.

Slowly going to start posting the little helpful tidbits as I go. Tires and other trinkets came first. The preferred double din ( Larger of the two stereo sized cutouts the industry uses vs the older single din sized slots) bezel kit for our C6's is the95-3304 Metra Dash Kit. Which has a matching finish and texture to our factory unit. So it will match with the climate control center located underneath your stereo as if it was factory. More to come as I move forward on this upgrade.

Which can be found for a cheap price right here. Crutchfield Canada
US price is $10.99 so this isn't too bad at all with a price of $13.99. Shipping was included.

Good thread to watch.

Factory units are junk. C7's are excepted only because I haven't had any experience with them yet, but any other year an aftermarket replacement head unit is highly recommended.

You said that you zeroed in on some equipment, but didn't specify anything. I don't really care about promoting particular brands of stuff, but I am definitely interested in knowing what components and why. Everybody has different tastes, but a full custom system can easily be built to suit. Are you considering an android head unit in your comparisons?

I was told that the bose system is not really compatible with other car audio systems. So I went with pioneer avh 8400 a few years back and I have an audison amp with focal speakers. Works alright, and sounds decent

Last edited:
Good thread to watch.

Factory units are junk. C7's are excepted only because I haven't had any experience with them yet, but any other year an aftermarket replacement head unit is highly recommended.

You said that you zeroed in on some equipment, but didn't specify anything. I don't really care about promoting particular brands of stuff, but I am definitely interested in knowing what components and why. Everybody has different tastes, but a full custom system can easily be built to suit. Are you considering an android head unit in your comparisons?
To be honest Jordy, the C7 10 speaker Bose system is a huge improvement over it's predecessors (my C6), but it's still disappointing for what I expected a top brand name like Bose to be...... :(

Reactions: Tinman
Good thread to watch.

Sorry for not identifying the equipment/ receivers I have zeroed in on. The big decision was whether or not to go with a unit that had navigation or run my phone app on the display as my navigation.Which can be done with an iPhone or Android based phone. I will be using a head unit that has Apple Car Play. If I was an Andriod user I would be going with one that was compatible for Android. The units with their own navigation included are A LOT pricier. I heard it is due to the royalties/cost of using the Garmin technology. For me I am okay with using the application in my phone on the display. I will be back to explain the models I considered/ am considering. I will also post some picks of the aftermarket Metra dash kit mentioned above. It looks great.

Busy lately so not really filling in the details but they will come:)

Receiver ordered as of today. I was not intending to purchase just yet but could not resist. I wanted to pass on the info for this electronics place. I have searched and bought a bunch of electronics at great prices at various places. Always shopping the deal. I have never seen the particular company online that I have purchased from. They BLEW everyone away on pricing by a mile! I couldn't order fast enough when I saw the price. I have gone with a Pioneer 4201 which is the brand new replacement model for the 4200. Pricing is full list on this guy everywhere right now. The 4200 I had shopped hard and the best I did was an open box unit at Gibby's for $850.00. I almost fell over yesterday when I found 2001 was doing a sale on the 4201 at $897.00. Nobody was offering a deal on the new unit. Before I jumped on it I did some searching. A mistake in my parameters yielded this new site. They had the 4201 for $849.00 with $12.50 shipping cost. Places still want $1049 for the old model right now.

The 4201 is a flagship non navigation model that has Carplay and Android capabilities. You save a ton by using your phone applications/ Apple Nav vs buying a Nav receiver that has Garmin tech in it.

Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Package With ND-BC8 Backup Camera

More to come. The box will sit a while before I get to installing it, but the price was too good to pass up. Now time to go fire up the boat for the first time. Spring fishing awaits me and the gear head crew!

I was also told that bose equipment is not compatible with other car audio, so if one changes the head unit, you should also change the speakers

I currently have a Pioneer AVIC -Z150 BH several years old now in my 2007
Works well .....sounds great with the original Bose speakers.
The Navi locks up once in a while. But that might be the location on the GPS antenna.

I am thinking of upgrading the factory stereo system in my C6. Likely just to a Bluetooth capable navigation head unit. Thought I would pass this useful tidbit along encase anyone else was considering an upgrade. Click link below for the full article.

2005-2013 Chevrolet Corvette
I find that, with the amount of road noise from the tires, spending more money on my system would be a waste. Ours has the Bose system but don't feel that it is a true, high end Bose system and speakers that GM puts in the cars.

I find that, with the amount of road noise from the tires, spending more money on my system would be a waste. Ours has the Bose system but don't feel that it is a true, high end Bose system and speakers that GM puts in the cars.

It is more about cell phone use, gaining the hands free functions, navigation, and apps etc. I'm not changing speakers or adding amps. Just a better head unit which will also clean up the system's sound and provide a little more omph!

As far as the road noise goes.....I cured most of that too, I changed the tires as well lol. Up sized to PSS non run flats, 285 fronts and 345 rears. The Goodyear F1's were noisy as all hell. These are good. Another tip that helps a little is a trunk mat. It doesn't help the noise through the sides of the tub and wheel wells but reduces it some by lining the floor of the cargo area /base of the tub. Then when you want to remove the couple extra pounds you can just pop it out.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.