Feb 2, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette Grand Sport
Province
BC
I am looking to see if I can change out the nut on the TPS sensor while the tire is still inflated and on the car. I want to install the chrome nut/sleeve on instead of the ugly looking stock nut. Has anyone done this and if so how and should i look out for some issue while doing the jog?

I am looking to see if I can change out the nut on the TPS sensor while the tire is still inflated and on the car. I want to install the chrome nut/sleeve on instead of the ugly looking stock nut. Has anyone done this and if so how and should i look out for some issue while doing the jog?
I'd be concerned that the sensor and stem would slip back into the wheel if you couldn't hold it in place. Maybe loosen the nut some and see if it wants to fall into the wheel. That might give you an idea if it will stay in place. Let us know if you do.

I'd be concerned that the sensor and stem would slip back into the wheel if you couldn't hold it in place. Maybe loosen the nut some and see if it wants to fall into the wheel. That might give you an idea if it will stay in place. Let us know if you do.
I don't want to insult the op, so I won't put up a stupid smilie, but I'd love to see a picture of what you are talking about. Pardon my ignorance, I thought all tpm sensors were part of the valve stem

The big gray collar piece for metal TPMS sensors.

Prop the wheel/tire assy. on a table/bench with the sensor part overhanging the end of the table, it should stay in place for you to remove that part and install your chrome piece. Just be aware of the dissimiliar metals issue and it could be a problem for you or a tech to remove down the road.

I personally also prefer to have the sensor sit properly in the wheel when you are tightening the nut and that won't be possible if you can't keep the actual sensor part steady inside the wheel flange when you are tightening the nut.

Reactions: 1st Vette
You asked about this previously:

I don't want to insult the op, so I won't put up a stupid smilie, but I'd love to see a picture of what you are talking about. Pardon my ignorance, I thought all tpm sensors were part of the valve stem
We deal with ignorance daily Murray so no worries...... :rofl:

In this case you are correct. Here's a picture of a C7 sensor. Not to be confused with one on a Lexus...

1708270640130.png

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Repair kits are all the same parts if you use a metal TPMS sensor. I linked a kit just to show what part we were talking about (it happens to show it's for a Lexus TPMS but are all same items). It is not vehicle make specific only the complete sensor are however in the afkt. there are sensors that could work in all sorts of vehicles.

I was thinking that if i clocked the tire with the valve stem at 12 o'clock that would negate the concern of the TPS falling into the rim.

I was thinking that if i clocked the tire with the valve stem at 12 o'clock that would negate the concern of the TPS falling into the rim.
I'd almost be tempted to take the wheel off and lay it flat on a table upside down with the stem overhanging and work from underneath.. The gravity might not want to drop the stem and sensor back into the tire. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Reactions: GrandSport17