for a traction aid on ramps,trailers,or whatever,i use old snowmobile track. most sled repair shops will give it to you for a nominal donation to their beer kitty. it is very tuff stuff however and is best cut with a sawzall. :D

well 67, i think folks are viewing. i will post a few more and maybe others will chime in. you game ?

I wonder what this is?
waox94.jpg

Hmmmm. :confused:
dm321k.jpg

Oh....
1rtahv.jpg

Worried about mice in the shop? Having a bad mosquito Spring, but need some air flow while you're drinking beer with your buddies? Add some black screen material, and voil

perimeter bolt valve covers and gaskets are an easier install using locator pins. what i do is take four 1/4x20x2" bolts and decapitate them. then cut a groove in the ends that will accept a slot screwdriver and wind them into the cyl head. slip gaskets and valve covers over the pins and one at a time replace the pins with bolts. :D

perimeter bolt valve covers and gaskets are an easier install using locator pins. what i do is take four 1/4x20x2" bolts and decapitate them. then cut a groove in the ends that will accept a slot screwdriver and wind them into the cyl head. slip gaskets and valve covers over the pins and one at a time replace the pins with bolts. :D

I've had mine on and off so many times I can do it in my sleep. :rofl:

Like I've said, this is a great thread! So many tips here we almost need separate threads for garage tips, performance tips, repair tips, and life tips!...well maybe not the last one.:D

Rather than use cleaners that may strip the wax off the front of the car when removing bugs, I just plain old water in a spray bottle along with a rag. Spray the bugs a couple of times to soften them up and they pretty well wipe right off.
P.S. Doug is right on with his "life tips"

This is a great thread, and it's time I contribute my secret weapon to glass cleaning......

I use a crumpled up newspaper to wipe glass. Use windex or vinegar from a spray bottle.......water even works, but the newspaper will NEVER streak.

Give it a whirl.........

To get glass really clean, I use the micro fibre cloths that you can buy at Costco by the bundle. They may seem more expensive than the ones at CTC but they are a LOT bigger. Just a mist of glass cleaner then wipe until the glass is dry. Any dampness left behind will leave the glass still marked.

old oven racks or fridge shelves come in handy when changing your engine oil filter. place one over your drain pan and put the old filter on the rack to empty. k&n oil filters are a little bit pricier ,however, they have a nice hex fitting on the bottom that a socket will go on making removal a breeze. :D

Often, it's hard to add oil to differentials due to not being able to pour from above. Use an old turkey baster. Just don't tell the Mrs. :D

Having trouble installing rubber hoses, o-rings or other rubber parts? Spray some window-cleaning foam on the mating surfaces and they'll slide right on....sorta like K-Y. :rofl:

Like this stuff at Home Depot...
ce61eb29-f606-442f-9f49-89ecb3913fe0_300.jpg

can't you hear me knockin'

when working on c2-c3 rear suspension try this homemade spindle knocker. the "L" shaft that mounts the shock and outer strut rod end can sometimes be a bear to get out. get the correct size "flange nut" and tack weld it to a sacrificial impact socket [deep]. if you don't have a welder a good 2 part epoxy or JB can be used. liberally use your favourite penetrating oil [not wd40] and thread it on the shaft leaving about a 1/16" gap. commence to bashin'. keep spraying,backing off, and bashing. take the usual precautions if using the"heat wrench". :seeya:

old speaker magnets can be handy things. i have one fastened to a broomstick that i use for retrieving dropped nuts,bolts,and tools from under the car. i also stick them to the underside of the car and stick my old metal caged trouble light to em. i can actually position the light then where it does some good.

I have some strong half inch round puck style magnets stuck to the head of my drill press. They hold the chuck key for easy access when working. They can also hold a countersink, drill bits, six inch scale, or whatever you are using around the drill press. You can have most of what you need right at hand before doing a job.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread