YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
This weekend, I think I may be the soonest for Winter Storage this year as I have an extended trip coming up soon.
As it seems every year gets its own Winter Storage Thread - let the 2021-22 begin. This year, I spent $1k on each Corvette
for complete fluid renewals as they have turned 4 & 5 years old in my stable.
C7 A8 Mobil 1 tranny fluid & filter change, Rear Diff, Brake fluid, Coolant, and of course dry sump Mobil 1 Oil renewals.
Fueled to below Full with Chevron 94 and added stabilizer. Washed, covered and on a Battery maintainer.
Tire Pressure checked and driven on to basement subfloor tiles so rubber is off the thermal mass of the unheated garage concrete floor.
Modified Insurance for garage storage and wait for an annual premium rebate in the mail ... Lights out. :(

Last edited:
Yep. Mine is going on the lift this week. Oil and filter are sitting on the shelf. Mom’s Camaro will drive a little longer but it is running out of time as well.

What is the best oil filter to use and should I park it with a full tank of gas? Discuss…🤪

AC Delco filters and half tank of gas with stabilizer. Good idea to add stabilizer then drive both around to mix it before parking.
Another six weeks before we head south so I'm hoping for more seat time this fall.

Great weather here in Toronto, hope it holds out until late October. Had a great Trip last week !!

IMG_8024 (4).JPG

AC Delco filters and half tank of gas with stabilizer. Good idea to add stabilizer then drive both around to mix it before parking.
Another six weeks before we head south so I'm hoping for more seat time this fall.
Here is some advice based on my experience.

First winter for my 1999, I did like everyone else with their tin cars and filled the gas tank to the top, added stabilizer and drove around to mix. This is what we did to reduce condensation in the tank over the winter. All set for several months. WRONG! In the spring, car started and ran perfectly but fuel gauge was all out of whack. What could have happened. I talked to one of our club members who has lots of GM engineering knowledge and he told me what had happened and how to cure it without removing the fuel tank. C5's and C6's have the fuel sender about half way up in the tank, submerged in the fuel. When the car is stationary for a long period of time the sender contacts get contaminated and do not send the correct signal to the dash gauge.

Question then is how do I fix it? Remove the fuel tank and replace the sender? No, add about 300 ml (12 oz) of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner to the tank. Big problem here is this stuff is only available in the US, and believe it or not at Walmart. I live across the border from Detroit, so no big deal, pre COVID, to cross the bridge and get a couple of bottles. Added one bottle of Techron to full tank of gas and before that fuel was burned up the gauge returned to normal. I still have the second bottle, have not needed it since. The Techron is like magic.

Now. how do you prevent this from happening again on these Corvettes? Only fill the tank quarter full when storing for the winter so the sender is not submerged. Don't forget to add the fuel stabilizer. Forget about the condensation which may develop. I have not had any problems, fuel sender or condensation with either my C5 or C6 since that first time The C6 Indy Pace car sat without moving for 18 months during COVID and was perfect after the long sleep. Remember, only quarter tank of fuel.

My friend tells me the C5, C6 and even the C8 have similar fuel tanks. I would check with a reputable dealer to see if this problem may occur on your mid engine beasts.

Another bit of advice here is to only use fuel without ethanol in the older cars to reduce softening of rubber bits in the fuel system. Other members may have comments on this.

1632078517746.png

Here is some advice based on my experience.

First winter for my 1999, I did like everyone else with their tin cars and filled the gas tank to the top, added stabilizer and drove around to mix. This is what we did to reduce condensation in the tank over the winter. All set for several months. WRONG! In the spring, car started and ran perfectly but fuel gauge was all out of whack. What could have happened. I talked to one of our club members who has lots of GM engineering knowledge and he told me what had happened and how to cure it without removing the fuel tank. C5's and C6's have the fuel sender about half way up in the tank, submerged in the fuel. When the car is stationary for a long period of time the sender contacts get contaminated and do not send the correct signal to the dash gauge.

Question then is how do I fix it? Remove the fuel tank and replace the sender? No, add about 300 ml (12 oz) of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner to the tank. Big problem here is this stuff is only available in the US, and believe it or not at Walmart. I live across the border from Detroit, so no big deal, pre COVID, to cross the bridge and get a couple of bottles. Added one bottle of Techron to full tank of gas and before that fuel was burned up the gauge returned to normal. I still have the second bottle, have not needed it since. The Techron is like magic.

Now. how do you prevent this from happening again on these Corvettes? Only fill the tank quarter full when storing for the winter so the sender is not submerged. Don't forget to add the fuel stabilizer. Forget about the condensation which may develop. I have not had any problems, fuel sender or condensation with either my C5 or C6 since that first time The C6 Indy Pace car sat without moving for 18 months during COVID and was perfect after the long sleep. Remember, only quarter tank of fuel.

My friend tells me the C5, C6 and even the C8 have similar fuel tanks. I would check with a reputable dealer to see if this problem may occur on your mid engine beasts.

Another bit of advice here is to only use fuel without ethanol in the older cars to reduce softening of rubber bits in the fuel system. Other members may have comments on this.

View attachment 87182
Been lots of chat and opinions both ways here over the years on how much fuel to go into winter storage with. Glad the techron did the trick for you.

Sorry to say this but , but one should never leave used motor oil in engine over the winter unless there is under 1k on oil, the acids and contaminates are not good for an engine sitting over the winter. There are many articles about this out there , also my mechanic strongly agrees with this. Just my 2cents …oh I forgot we don’t have pennies anymore…so what would be the proper …?

Reactions: Vegas1500
Good advice... Thank you for sharing! The last Plunkett Estate Show is September 30th so I will keep going until at least after that. The other weird thing in the London area is that the first blast of Winter snow is generally followed by two weeks of the nicest Fall weather imaginable... I'm holding onto that dream... :)

Good advice... Thank you for sharing! The last Plunkett Estate Show is September 30th so I will keep going until at least after that. The other weird thing in the London area is that the first blast of Winter snow is generally followed by two weeks of the nicest Fall weather imaginable... I'm holding onto that dream... :)
Are you referring to Steve Plunkett's Fleetwood Country Cruise in? I thought last one was 2019. Please enlighten me. Thanx! Here is a post from CTV in May 2019:

A London summer staple is sadly coming to an end.

Philanthropist Steve Plunkett has confirmed that this weekend's Fleetwood Country Cruize-In on the grounds of his west-London estate will be his last.

Plunkett, 63, says he will continue spending time and showing his vast classic car collection to other North American car shows.

He says the organizing the Fleetwood Country Cruize-In has become too much work and he is retiring from the job.

The classic car show has attracted hundreds of thousands of people over the last 15 years, raising $1.7 million for various charities.

This weekend's event kicks off Friday night with several musical acts including Tony Orlando, Mitch Ryder and Gary Lewis and the Playboys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread