Wait a minute here. Why are you guys complaining about plugging in EV‘s when anywhere in the Prairies this time of year you also have to plug in gasoline powered vehicles?

One way or the other, you poor sob’s are going to be “plugging in”....

:ROFL:

Our vehicles are in an unheated, uninsulated shop and the block heaters are plugged into timers that come on 2 hours before we need the vehicles. Our block heaters draw about 12 amps. Considerably less than most electric vehicles. Yesterday, after a 42 below night, I needed my Lincoln MKX which wasn't plugged in and it started right way, albeit stiff. Shown below is a recommendation for setting your garage up for charging an EV. As you will see, the cheap charging stations shown below are capable of 24 amps. The recommended station is capable of 50 amps for a 40 amp charging rate.

The power usage bothers me not one iota but if an EV is drawing 40 amps to charge, most residential circuits had better not be trying to roast a turkey and drying their clothes at the same time. There's lots of residential out there that only has a 75 amp service. We are already being asked to limit our power use due to record setting draws on the systems right now... and when summer comes and air conditioner use is rampant, that will be repeated. Now...Look to the future when 80% of residences in a city are all plugged in and charging their EV's. If Green is the future, power providers better start thinking about how to supply that power sooner rather than later.... JMO

Tourmax, that is what I always felt. I live in Quebec, where hydro-dam produced electricity is relatively cheap and plentiful. But when you have eventually saturated the grid with electric vehicles, couple that to the fast growing cities that have expanded well beyond their former sizes, where is the infrastructure to accommodate this extra pressure. Now take an area that does not have access to hydro power, and must burn oil or coal to meet these demands. Now the "pollution savings" of electric vehicles is completely negated by the increase of burning fossil fuels. We can't win no matter which way we turn. And solar power can never keep up to the demands, wind power would help out the cause but could never be completely relied on.

So in lieu of my rant, and Tourmax's reply, I've decided to rip out the engine and tranny from the Vette, and replace them with a harness attached to the front bumper, for a team of ten horses. This will minimize my "carbon footprint", as well as provide the local farmer with a steady supply of fertilizer with my "scoop & poop" program. Smokey burnouts will be provided by my horses, as I will feed them cabbage and chili. Just need better windshield wipers!

• Haha
Reactions: Tango
Soooo... skipping over the EV thing.......

Funny how different people can be. I am considered an early millennial and my DD (pontiac vibe) is a 5 speed. I realize I am not the stereotypical millennial. I rarely lock the doors (manual locks too!) I went to pick up something with my dad. He jumps in the passenger seat and we get to the store. We jump out. He asks about locking doors. I say nah....it is worth more to me if someone steals it anyway (jokingly) and he points out that there is antitheft sitting right between the seats! I laughed my ass off!

T

• Haha
Reactions: BDK
So in lieu of my rant, and Tourmax's reply, I've decided to rip out the engine and tranny from the Vette, and replace them with a harness attached to the front bumper, for a team of ten horses. This will minimize my "carbon footprint", as well as provide the local farmer with a steady supply of fertilizer with my "scoop & poop" program. Smokey burnouts will be provided by my horses, as I will feed them cabbage and chili. Just need better windshield wipers!
Horses create methane gas. Not environmentally friendly or Greta approved.....

Now if we could get a plant based horse....”Beyond Horse”.....

Passing, Racing, Night mode, Day mode, Left 1 block and Left 2 blocks
Not that hard. 6 speed.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BDK
Why have I not seen this forum before? Its great and I like it.
Regarding the transmission we had a young lad at work. His first question was "Whats a Standard?"
The second was "What can I do if I find I am sliding around a corner in town and slippery conditions?" One suggestion was "put it in neutral", answer back was "Whats Neutral?"..... we gave up.
However he did sync my phone to my car in about 15 seconds, after I had killed about an hour trying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread