HLN A55

High RPM Poster
Jan 27, 2009
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z06
OK so some of us have had a little fun poking at the Mustang guys... the point is really... what's so bad about them?

To be honest they're a not so bad a car... I even owned an '88 Cobra so really what is it???

I'm not bashing AT ALL... This was the reason I got turned off by them. Like I said, I even had one BEFORE I owned my GTA...

It seemed like for so many years (at least around here) that to drive a 5.0 you had to have a pair of Oakley sunglasses, A backwards ball cap and a Dr. Zoggs sex wax sticker in the rear window and they had such a sh*t eating attitude that it was impossible to stand them...

I'm seeking professional assistance for my inability to love and understand :boxing_smiley: :rofl:

Maybe I'll own one again :nono:

This thread better not get out, but I really don't mind Mustangs. It's just fun to poke fun of them as I am sure it's the same for us in their group. It only goes downhill when people start taking it too seriously. I think it spawns from brand loyalty of Ford Vs Chevy. I think the rivalry is more, or use to be more between Mustangs and Camaros, but the Corvette guys chime in as there is nothing that Ford makes that is similar to the Corvette (Ford GT doesn't count). I still think Ford has done a better job tuning the exhaust sound on the Mustang, but I will probably never own one as I have too many cars right now as it is.

I loved the power of the 5L in my 91. They were freaking bullet proof. The interior was a bit sparce but that was okay. I wasn't that big a fan of the probe or the 4th gen Mustang. But I do approve of the 5th gen Mustang.

At least Ford knows how to market a car. GM could've learned a thing or 2 and just maybe, the Camaro and Firebird would not have been cancelled in the first place.

me too... they should have just ouitlawed oakley sunglasses and backwards ball caps and none of this would have happened!!!

My '88 cobra was a beast and yes, I loved it at the time as well but alas, I didn't fit in any more :)

I loved the power of the 5L in my 91. They were freaking bullet proof. The interior was a bit sparce but that was okay. I wasn't that big a fan of the probe or the 4th gen Mustang. But I do approve of the 5th gen Mustang.

At least Ford knows how to market a car. GM could've learned a thing or 2 and just maybe, the Camaro and Firebird would not have been cancelled in the first place.

:agree: too :canada:

Marketing in my opinion was 80% of it but let's not forget that the last F-Body cars were HUGE money in comparison too... If I'm not mistaken, a ram air vert Trans Am was over $50k when they quit making them... STUPID for any performance car with a solid rear axle and a frame that hadn't changed in 10 years PLUS a drivetrain that was almost standard for the 6 years prior.

Marketing in my opinion was 80% of it but let's not forget that the last F-Body cars were HUGE money in comparison too... If I'm not mistaken, a ram air vert Trans Am was over $50k when they quit making them... STUPID for any performance car with a solid rear axle and a frame that hadn't changed in 10 years PLUS a drivetrain that was almost standard for the 6 years prior.

The Camaro SS and the Ram Air Trans-Am were built to order. You could have been in a Camaro/Firebird for as low as $23K for the base units and then up to $35K for the Z28 and Trans-Am models. Very reasonable price for a pony car.

Those that wanted the SS and/or WS6 GM warranty approved after market performance improvements from SLP gladly paid the extra $15k for it.

True, GM did price themselves out of the market. I remember thinking that the people who wanted a Camaro were the ones who could not afford it. Mid 90's I think we priced a Z28 at $24+K, very reasonable! Then by late 1990's, it was up over 35K??? I would love it if GM would make a stripper version of the new Camaro, no power windows, locks, a/c, etc. Just make it light, cheap, and fast. For people who want a RWD V-8 car, for under 30K. Is that doable? or am I on crack?

okee dokee then.... I was just going from memory from a price tag I saw at the Edmonton International Car Show :)

I don't doubt it. I'd be showing off the cream of the crop too. :coolgleam:

Again, came down to marketing. Show off the most expensive, so as to make people think twice about going in a buying them.

True, GM did price themselves out of the market. I remember thinking that the people who wanted a Camaro were the ones who could not afford it. I would love it if GM would make a stripper version of the new Camaro, no power windows, locks, a/c, etc. Just make it light, cheap, and fast.

Just like in the 60's. Have delete option codes for alot of the stuff. But nowadays, I think that would make the car more expensive than a fully outfitted one.

actually I second that thought... I think that the RCMP paid through the a55 for the stripped down 5.0 mustangs that they bought as interceptors out here in sherwood park.. My dad also managed the body shop for a local Chev dealer at the time and when a custom order police camaro came in the price tag was so high that only he and the shop foreman were allowed to drive it... Those were pretty much both delete option cars with all the go fast goodies...

Haha. I bet you are right. I think I heard about something similar with the Challenger and they found out that manual roll up windows were more expensive than the power units. Hahaha.

Were those the 1LE Camaros?

honestly it was a long long time ago but they were fully performance optioned cars with 6 speed manuals trans, special intakes, exhaust, rear end gears etc etc... a brand new one today with all those delete options would actually be a WILD ride and probably worth a pretty penny. Alas... the police destroyed every one of these cars in use and then refused to auction them off when they were done with them to the best of my knowledge they crushed them all when the maintenance went through the roof.

I had a brand new 1979 mustang in line 200 ci coupe It was the first new car i ever had and the last ford i ever owned, A peice of scrap,always in the shop! Traded it in on a 1981 cutlass olds coupe with t tops , One of the best cars gm made and a real chick magnet at the time. I know i'm showing my age. I've had 29 new cars [brand new] and that is one of my favorite!!!!

Agree with the marketing thing - everybody knows that Mustangs are marketed to 16 year olds and girls. :rofl::rofl:

SIDE NOTE: I used to own a 1997 Pontiac Firebird TransAm WS6 and a stock Mustang couldn't touch that car. JB's Automotive loved those guys!

Firebird.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.