Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
What kind of, if any, surveillance system do you guys use around your house and garage? A friend's place was broken into and they put in a system that sends a call right to the police if anything happens. Of course, the new cat set it off first thing.

If these systems are like the car alarms I hear going off all the time, it could get expensive. I see Alarm Force advertised all the time. Costco has some passive camera/recording systems. If nothing else, they would tell you if people are casing your place. Perhaps a player, connected to a motion sensor, playing back the sound of chambering a shell in a pump shotgun might get the attention of thieves. I doubt that they can run 1000 feet per second. ;) I'm just picking people's brains on this.

Last edited:
My Jacob is the best alarm system I have ever had.

mini-IMG_0009.jpg

mini-IMG_0002.jpg

My Golden and Cocker are no slouch either but they're more noisemakers.

mini-IMG_0001.jpg

mini-IMG_00013.jpg

Alarm systems I've had, but they're more problematic (and expensive as Steamer says).

I have plenty of insurance, and a very large amount of coverage on the '67. Although there's always the possibility of break-ins, I depend on an alarm company and my insurance. We had a dog a number of years ago, and have considered getting another, but they do tie you down. We wish to do many more road trips in the coming years.

We live relatively low-key lives, lock the doors at night, set the alarms, and sleep well enough. If someone breaks in, my wife will just nag his ears off until the police get here. He'll wish he'd never bothered. ;)

We have ours with a monitoring company, ($10 a month, we own the equipment) not Alarm Farce by the way. It is registered with the police so in the event of a false alarm the cost to us is minimal compared to not having it registered.

As much as I might wish to do harm to a burglar the consequences wouldn't be worth it. As long as family isn't hurt then everything is cool, all the clutter is insured at replacement value and experience has taught me stores are more than happy to help you replace everything if it is an insurance claim.

The real negative is the knowledge that a total stranger was in your house, that takes a bit to get used to.

Great looking dogs Colin.

oops double post :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have ours with a monitoring company, ($10 a month, we own the equipment) not Alarm Farce by the way. It is registered with the police so in the event of a false alarm the cost to us is minimal compared to not having it registered.

As much as I might wish to do harm to a burglar the consequences wouldn't be worth it. As long as family isn't hurt then everything is cool, all the clutter is insured at replacement value and experience has taught me stores are more than happy to help you replace everything if it is an insurance claim.

The real negative is the knowledge that a total stranger was in your house, that takes a bit to get used to.

Great looking dogs Colin.

oops double post :banghead:

I hear you on the harm, Wayne -- What I'm hoping is that the noise will deter anyone thinking of entering before there's any kind of confrontation.

Thanks -- they really are sweet. Jacob is really a pussycat dressed up like a dog.......:D

C.

I'm with 67; everyting is insurred and everything can be replaced. I've been broken into before; once while I was in bed sleeping. It's usually teenagers who want nothing to do with you; they're just looking for stuff to pawn. Let them have it; you'll end up with nicer stuff in the end.

my wife and keith's wife are both quilters. get too close to a quilting gal's stuff and be prepared to count the number of fingers you have left !!! :rofl: beautiful pups you have there colin. my dog , josie , is with me almost 24/7. she really is daddy's girl. your dog is the only being on the planet that treats you like the beatles when you get home !!! :D

This fall, I renovated a room for Dale's quilting. paint, oak trim and nice new laminate floor. She's got some nice new equipment for her room as well. A woman cave if there is such a thing. I still have all my fingers. ;) She's like most dogs only in that her bark is worse than her bite......most of the time.
Still, I can't have her sitting shotgun all night and might put up some cameras just to keep eyes on things. Motion sensor lights at the doors might help some too. There have been a rash of break ins around the village this summer and it makes a person a little nervous. It's getting a little more like the U.S. all the time.

my wife and keith's wife are both quilters. get too close to a quilting gal's stuff and be prepared to count the number of fingers you have left !!! :rofl: beautiful pups you have there colin. my dog , josie , is with me almost 24/7. she really is daddy's girl. your dog is the only being on the planet that treats you like the beatles when you get home !!! :D

Spoken like a true animal lover, Doug -- kudos.
Yes our animals are so important to us -- I'm amazed that they always have a smile for you and ask for very little outside of a walk and a hug.

I should say that we have a real menagerie here with 3 dogs and 5 cats (thankfully all well trained :D) so it's a real hive of activity and love.

Give Josie a hug and a treat from us please. Tell her Jacob, Phoenix and Sid say hi .:D

C.

Kieth, if your going with motion sensor lights get the dual bright ones. That way you can retro fit them on your existing fixture box. They come on at half brightness at dusk and can be set for 2,4, or 6 hours. When someone walks up, they go full bright. After timeout they act just like a normal sensors and will come on full bright when someone approaches.
Rob

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.