not2melo

High RPM Poster
Feb 8, 2009
Greg in Toronto/Gtown
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5 Z51
Anyone here had any experience with stroking a LSX engine.
I have read a little about it before adding my Trickflow heads but still have to do a little research.
If I stoke the LS1 can go to 383 or maybe even higher to 402?
I am trying to figure the HP that I could get out of the motor, maybe just over 500rwhp?

Also Manny if you are reading what is the price for just going with a LS2 block and stroker kit and swapping
the whole thing in.

I still think the first option is cheaper and a little faster to do, found a few kits of Fleebay of all places
some go for $1700 for Eagle & Hawks Racing (scares me because they are so cheap), then the elite
is a Lunati 383 LS1 stroker kit but is $5000

Any input, past experiences good or bad are appreciated.

Anyone here had any experience with stroking a LSX engine.
I have read a little about it before adding my Trickflow heads but still have to do a little research.
If I stoke the LS1 can go to 383 or maybe even higher to 402?
I am trying to figure the HP that I could get out of the motor, maybe just over 500rwhp?

Also Manny if you are reading what is the price for just going with a LS2 block and stroker kit and swapping
the whole thing in.

I still think the first option is cheaper and a little faster to do, found a few kits of Fleebay of all places
some go for $1700 for Eagle & Hawks Racing (scares me because they are so cheap), then the elite
is a Lunati 383 LS1 stroker kit but is $5000

Any input, past experiences good or bad are appreciated.

Hi Greg, if you are going to stroke your LS1 to 383 then the price is not bad at all at $1700 for the rotating assembly . With your current set up you would be in the 500RWHP + club

To do a 402 you would be in the 7g range for a complete set-up plus heads /intake and so on .

I think that if you really want to do the final step in your build, Let's look at doing you a 383 stroker . I will give you a call tomorrow and we can talk

Thx
Manny

Last edited:
Sounds good, give me a shout anytime, out shopping with the wife in the morning.
I still think the NA car will have more grunt off the start then a FI car, know it can
be a large debate but love the low end torque under 3k range over the higher rpm
power range of a FI application.

Thats so true, Manny usually gets booked up for the first part of spring and summer very fast.
I dont think I will be looking to do anything until the fall or maybe over the winter months, guess
it depends on how much downtime for my car to get it swapped in and tuned?

No worries guys, we always find the time and space to make sure our freinds are roll'n large :canada:

It is always one vette at a time :D

Greg if we pre order all the parts I can have the engine out ,torn down,rebuilt ,installed and tuned in 4 days :eek:

Thx
[email protected]

:driving:Well Greg, I think it's a gimme now... shall I inform Manny of your decision to hit that 500 RWHP mark???

Hahaha, yes I would say go ahead now, but I have alot of money going out right now with the new house,
moving in 4 weeks, so lots to do and pay for with new appliances etc, that is why I mentioned the fall or winter.
The wallet can only take so much strain at one time.

Hahaha, yes I would say go ahead now, but I have alot of money going out right now with the new house,
moving in 4 weeks, so lots to do and pay for with new appliances etc, that is why I mentioned the fall or winter.
The wallet can only take so much strain at one time.

Did I mention the New E.C.P Credit Card :rofl::rofl::rofl:

JK buddy

You know its whenever you are ready.

Thx
[email protected]

Hi Greg, if you are going to stroke your LS1 to 383 then the price is not bad at all at $1700 for the rotating assembly . With your current set up you would be in the 500RWHP + club

To do a 402 you would be in the 7g range for a complete set-up plus heads /intake and so on .

I think that if you really want to do the final step in your build, Let's look at doing you a 383 stroker . I will give you a call tomorrow and we can talk

Thx
Manny

Lots of questions... just because:

Why would it cost so much more to go up to a 402? Is there a lot more machining that needs to be done to the block?

Does the extra 37 c.i. from stroking out the LS-1 to a 383 really make that much of a difference? I assume it's not just the cubic inches, but from the larger crank radius (or longer moment arm that the crank allows). How much hp is that worth, or do you see the increase more in the torque output? Would a 402 really take it to another level?

At what point should you just buy a crate motor?

Lots of questions... just because:

Why would it cost so much more to go up to a 402? Is there a lot more machining that needs to be done to the block?

Does the extra 37 c.i. from stroking out the LS-1 to a 383 really make that much of a difference? I assume it's not just the cubic inches, but from the larger crank radius (or longer moment arm that the crank allows). How much hp is that worth, or do you see the increase more in the torque output? Would a 402 really take it to another level?

At what point should you just buy a crate motor?

You are limited with the 347 , even as a 383 stroker . The costs are all due to the parts . Each level you go up the more expensive it is . There are differrent c.i combination's as well as quality of componnets for each . Stroking a 347 with a forged bottem end will net you around 30 hp +, and as we all know, more displacement = more power. Some are satisfied with a 383 and some want more . Horsepower when we get to this level is expensive . 1 hp can cost as much $1000.00 . It is really up to you as to what power level you want to achive, and how much you want to spend . You also have to remember that you are also building a much stronger motor as well as more powerfull powerplant . A crate engine is a good way to go, becuase everything has been designed to work as a package . This is where a good engine builder comes in , and one of the reasons I use John's engines .

Thx
[email protected]

well.. if my new package doesn't make me say OMFG when I hit the gas... I'm going to be in serious serious trouble LOL

Go Greg Go!! It'll be one of (if not THE) meanest C5's on here!!! Sorry Manny... LOL I still love your car.

well.. if my new package doesn't make me say OMFG when I hit the gas... I'm going to be in serious serious trouble LOL

Go Greg Go!! It'll be one of (if not THE) meanest C5's on here!!! Sorry Manny... LOL I still love your car.

The problem is not that at all . You will love your new found power as I , and many others did...................but like all fast cars you get use to the power and after while it no longer feels as quick . Now I'm not saying that this the same for everyone , or that you should keep getting more power mods, but rather that we all have our own ideas and goals as to what we want our cars to do . I personally believe that anything after 650RWHP is almost redundent , becuase planting all the power is what is hardest.......that and our wallets :rofl:

Thx
[email protected]

Last edited:
The problem is not that at all . You will love your new found power as I , and many others did...................but like all fast cars you use to the power and after while it no longer feels as quick . Now I'm not saying that this the same for everyone , or that you should keep getting more power mods, but rather that we all have our own ideas and goals as to what we want our cars to do . I personally believe that anything after 650RWHP is almost redundent , becuase planting all the power is what is hardest.......that and our wallets :rofl:

Thx
[email protected]

You're scaring me!!! I like it!!

Thanks buddy, I am still doing lots of reading on the pros and the cons.

Either way its very interesting and Manny & John are just down the Hwy from me so we can make it happen very fast if I decide
to go that way in the fall or over the winter time.

I think the 383 would be the cheapest option as you are just adding a forged crank with a 4" travel for added cylinder
depth which means more cubes. I dont think you can go deeper then the 4" or the bottom piston seal will pop right
out the bottom of the sleeved cylinder.

If you want to go 402 or 427 then you need to have the engine re-sleeved for the addition of larger sized pistions.
I have been reading about re-sleeving the block, here is some tech info in a artical about re-sleeving a LS1 to a 427, very radical.

1160767141-1.jpg

1160767141-2.jpg

1160767141-3.jpg

1160767141-4.jpg

1160767141-5.jpg

1160767141-6.jpg

1160767141-7.jpg

1160767141-8.jpg

1160767141-9.jpg

There are a few good shops out there that can do this, maybe even John's I don't know?

But then we are talking some serious money for the work that needs to be done if you go more then 383, even though
the LS1 block can hold it, at what point is it just cheaper to drop in a already modified 402 LS2?

I was trying to figure out what was the next best bang for the buck to get some more HP out of the car without
adding a FI option to the picture as that would put me out around $7-$8k.

I am going to keep on reading and see what else I can find out.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.