Feb 22, 2011
Fort McMurray,Ab
VetteCoins
Car
2008 Pace car Conver
Not sure if this is the right category....
Has anyone gone here, if so what was your experience?
The 3 day course is a $1000 off for the summer, probably because it will be extremely hot there.
It is set up as a country club / resort, 1 bedroom condos pool / workout room / racket ball court / a huge lounge room for relaxing.
I have never been to a track before so I figured go to a school and learn from the pros. This also gives me on opportunity to see what these cars can do pushing them to the limit in a safe environment on a 2.2 mile track (especially when its not your vett .... lol )
I talked to them the other day and booked my spot. I think she said they have 14 Grand Sports 2 are Automatics / 4 Z06 and ( 6 ZR1s a little more money for these ) all 2013 models a month or two old.

Ron Fellows Performance Driving School - Official High Peformance Driving School Of Chevrolet | Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch

Ron Fellows Performance Driving School - YouTube

Hi Scary...
Many of my friends in the Edmonton & Calgary Corvette clubs have been to that driving school over the years. Nobody ever came back dissappointed! You should check with them and see if a group is going down soon. Are you closer to Edmonton or Calgary? I could get you a local name to contact.
or send me a PM.
I haven't been to the track myself but it is on my list.
graham

I live in Fort McMurray due to shift work and previous engagements my time is limited for when I can attend, so I am booked in for July 22-24 in order to get the sale price.
Looking at the videos and pictures of Spring Mountain - Accommodations, cars and track (except the skids marks that leave the track and go into the desert :eek:) seems like a very nice setup.

I've heard nothing but good about Spring Mountain. Anything to do with Ron Fellows will be 'top drawer' for sure -- Definitely on my 'To-Do' list.

Colin

Agreed.:thumbup: And yes, Nevada is hot, I mean you feel like a human candle hot in July (summer).

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

yep.. staying in condos its part of the sale 3 nights in condo $110 a night (free) + $695 off the course and lunch is provided.
I just found out they have a gun range on site also, I will get more details when I show up Sunday afternoon.
Classroom starts Monday morning at 7:00am
Appox. 70hrs 44mins 36 secs from now. But whose counting.....LOL

yep.. staying in condos its part of the sale 3 nights in condo $110 a night (free) + $695 off the course and lunch is provided.
I just found out they have a gun range on site also, I will get more details when I show up Sunday afternoon.
Classroom starts Monday morning at 7:00am
Appox. 70hrs 44mins 36 secs from now. But whose counting.....LOL

Cool SF -- can't wait to hear about the experience......Definitely on my list -- please include details of all expenses.

Cheers,
Colin

I just found this on tire rack .com buy a set of four Michelin Pilot series tires sport or super sport July 8 August 18 you get a coupon for $500 off Ron Fellows Perf. Driving School. Not to sure on the exact details, but if your in the market for a new set of tires.

Found out yesterday condos have wireless and hard wire internet, I will try to keep everyone updated ...

I was there in June for 3 days. You just don't know what you are missing if you don't go. It was awesome. The installations are top notch, the staff is first class, the circuit is design to practice all pilot skills. It is hot in summer but you don't stay outside to much, your in the car or in the class room, you wear shorts and t-shirts and you drive whit a/c all the time so not to much problems whit the heat. The condo are well decorated whit everything you need. Impossible to get disappointed there except for the fact that the time goes by to fast. My first 2 day where include whit my zr1 and I paid for the third day and it worth every penny. If you can, take the ZR1 lesson, it's a blast. Wait until one of the instructors drive you around the circuit, you just won't believe what these cars can do whit an experience driver on the left seat. THRILL OF A LIFETIME:driving:

I was there in June for 3 days. You just don't know what you are missing if you don't go. It was awesome. The installations are top notch, the staff is first class, the circuit is design to practice all pilot skills. It is hot in summer but you don't stay outside to much, your in the car or in the class room, you wear shorts and t-shirts and you drive whit a/c all the time so not to much problems whit the heat. The condo are well decorated whit everything you need. Impossible to get disappointed there except for the fact that the time goes by to fast. My first 2 day where include whit my zr1 and I paid for the third day and it worth every penny. If you can, take the ZR1 lesson, it's a blast. Wait until one of the instructors drive you around the circuit, you just won't believe what these cars can do whit an experience driver on the left seat. THRILL OF A LIFETIME:driving:

I hear ya on the experience -- What was the total it set you back for the 3 day and accomms?

Got to know how much to save........I don't imagine it comes cheap.

C.

This place is a BLAST!!!!, rooms are very nice $110 a night (stayed in worse for more $$$) king size bed, microwave, small fridge, sink, plates, silverware40 inch tv, balcony table and chairs and full bathroom. Breakfast smorg style $8 not real fancy scrambled eggs 2 kinds, bacon, sausage, some type of patties. breads for toast, cereal and fruit. Lunch is included and was good barbequed pork, beans, potatoe salad, fried veggies, green salad and desserts
Instructors are very professional and want everyone to have fun. Class room instruction is short as they want you out in the cars having fun, maybe spent 2 hrs give or take today as you need some theory first.
Day 1 in brief
Appox. 2 hrs. classroom (not all at once)
- collision avoidance pulled fuse from ABS system for all wheel lock up on wet skid pad, (in the event your abs system fails or for people with non abs vehicles) go 30 mph hit skid pad lock up all wheels car slides, next time hit brakes lock up turn wheel release brakes slightly front wheels grab car turns back on brakes again.
Same as above but with fuse back in car, at 40 mph car is way easier to control as wheels do not lock up. ABS- Ability to brake and steer at the same time. These wore done under hard braking right to the floor.( basic stuff but fun to slide cars on a wet skid pad)
- Heel to toe downshifting I have not driven a standard in a 15 years or more I find the engagement point pretty quick on these cars. to master this a bit of practice is needed to match rpms with car speed. blew it a few times and did it perfect a couple of times. get car up to 65 mph about 80 percent brakes blip throttle 3500 -4000 rpm downshift from 4 to 3 and release clutch at same time in a short distance.
-Figure 8 wet skid pad learning how take the corner at the turn in point in order to make the proper apex for the curve. if done right you can come out of the corner carrying lots of speed to hit the straight away and pin it. they let you burn on couple donuts here and slide a bit(more fun)
-Track introduction everyone in a van going around the track learning the line to take
-Track back in the cars 8 laps learning turn in points and trying to hit the apex opportunity to try heel to toe downshifting also, used 3 and 4 gear I got a Z06 for this as they have a few. We did the track at about 60 - 65 mph hit 100 mph on the back straight away. ( this was definitely fun )
:D
They have been stressing that you want to look at where you want the car to go not whats directly in front of you, so you are always looking ahead.
And have the ability to process lots of information quickly
They are teaching us all this stuff in small bits to put in all together on the track. FUN FUN FUN....Time goes by so fast

I hear ya on the experience -- What was the total it set you back for the 3 day and accomms?

Got to know how much to save........I don't imagine it comes cheap.

C.

The third day was 1200$ but you have to understand that you are using there car and top notch staff and installations. It would be surprising how much it cost for one day of driving just for fuel and tires. As a mechanic, I was amaze to see the tires on the 2013 ZR1 that I drove whit only 350 miles on it and the tires where already damaged. If you go on there down time, they supply the condo for free (115$ a day) and you already paid for your flight so it cost me the third day and one day of car rental. Not that much for that level of fun. You have to try this before you end up in a wood box whit handles all around.

Breakfast was the same $8 not bad fills the holes, Lunch was Tacos all the extras, one of my favorites is Mexican , refried beans , rice, salad, desert pretty good.

Day 2 ( in brief)
Class room time about 1.5 hrs ( not all at once) rest is track
Track heel to toe downshift in a practice area, instructor gets in car with you for pointers if you have problems he's there to help correct them.
Back to class room cornering 101. More about having your heel toe shift done before hitting the turn in cone and being on the proper line for the apex of the corner.
back on track for more practice. They try to divide the students into groups around the same skill level as everyone has a different learning curve or may have previous training. We have 15 students max class size is 24. So we wore in groups of 4. 4 cars follow the instructor he watches in mirror as you following his line and gives you advice as to what needs correction over two radio after each lap 2nd car drops to the end and the next car follows him.
Back to class for theory on under steer, over steer and throttle steer, for cornering.
back on track to gain more experience just about everyone is driving the track at higher speeds than yesterday. I am getting better at these heel to toe down shifts and can see how this can help you come out of a corner at higher speeds.
Instructors took students out for a ride around the track in ZR1 :D, they told us they were driving at about 85-90 percent of their ability. I must say these Corvettes truly amaze me, with these Michelin tires they are almost glued to the road.( this was done so we could see the potential of the car and how well it stays on the road) confidence builder as students were trying to push the cars harder now. I cannot say enough good things about this place all instructors and staff are great.
They told us tomorrow is a full track day, instructor's will be taking turns riding with students to point out any areas you could be having problems
with. No more instructor car to follow :eek:
The time is flying by so fast....... I will check out the tires tomorrow

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.