I just find that you were trying to answer me in Chinese pin yin... Lol you can speak Chinese ? I'm interesting~ Took a while to find it out~

Brian just made an attempt to communicate with you in your language to better help, and no, I doubt Brian can speak Chinese......he's just trying to help -- like all of us are.

The opinions on whether to drive a 'vette in the winter are split and we all know it's your decision to do so or not.......so you do what you want.

We're just trying to help based on our lengthly experience here in our winters, and believe me some of them can be brutal -- enough so that driving any car can be difficult or impossible let alone and performance car such as a 'vette.

You asked for our opinions and we gave them -- Good luck with your choice.

Colin.

Of the over 1800 members here I'm sure its 95% plus of us who store our vettes for the winters...........this should tell you something. However, as Colin said its your decision. Be careful.

Last edited:
Aside from the potential driving issues of a Corvette in winter, I wouldn't want all that salt and crap all over my car. Aluminium hates salt and it plays havoc with the electrics if it gets into connectors. At least the body won't rust.

zeran, almost all of the vette owners on this forum drive a different vehicle for the winter, partially because they want to keep their corvette damage free. good luck and enjoy both the website and your corvette. where I live(Saskatchewan) the roads generally have deep ruts and a corvette would be damaged because of the low ride height. I drive a 1/2 ton truck(4 wheel drive) in the winter.

Brian just made an attempt to communicate with you in your language to better help, and no, I doubt Brian can speak Chinese......he's just trying to help -- like all of us are.

The opinions on whether to drive a 'vette in the winter are split and we all know it's your decision to do so or not.......so you do what you want.

We're just trying to help based on our lengthly experience here in our winters, and believe me some of them can be brutal -- enough so that driving any car can be difficult or impossible let alone and performance car such as a 'vette.

You asked for our opinions and we gave them -- Good luck with your choice.

Colin.

I got this...So what about this idea? First I still drive vette in winter with snow tires, see if I could handle it or not and wash it frequently (once a week?) in order to avoid the damage by salt and snow as much as possible, if it wasn't work, then try to have another car as winter daily ride (what about ford cv?) thx :)

Well hopefully you are going to find a real cheap vette to drive. Other wise you are wrecking a good car and wasteing your money. I thought this was a joke when i first started reading it. I have never seen a vette driven in the winter. :eek:

I got this...So what about this idea? First I still drive vette in winter with snow tires, see if I could handle it or not and wash it frequently (once a week?) in order to avoid the damage by salt and snow as much as possible, if it wasn't work, then try to have another car as winter daily ride (what about ford cv?) thx :)

:banghead: I hope while you "see if I could handle it or not" you don't put others at risk.

:banghead: I hope while you "see if I could handle it or not" you don't put others at risk.

Well... That might be the way I talk is different... Wherever I am I take my concern to others... I said several times that I'm really not what you thought... I just want to discuss this issue but why people around here consider myself as a ignorant and irresponsible person... Really make me frustrated...

Well... That might be the way I talk is different... Wherever I am I take my concern to others... I said several times that I'm really not what you thought... I just want to discuss this issue but why people around here consider myself as a ignorant and irresponsible person... Really make me frustrated...

We're glad that you asked, Zeran......we do have much experience on the subject and what better source?
Indeed if I were in China I would ask you the same sort of questions.

Please don't feel frustrated -- your concerns of being thought of as "ignorant and irresponsible" are totally unfounded.

We have the utmost respect and concern for everyone, which is why we're giving you this information. We care very much about you.

Bottom line is that it's your decision and we wish you luck with whichever way you go, but I"m sure you get the idea from what we've said that driving a 'vette in the winter time even with snow tires is a chancy proposition at best.

Please continue to visit here, We're very interested in your decision.

Once again welcome to our forum. We're a helpful and friendly bunch and we welcome all newcomers.

Colin.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, it an interesting thought, but lets say you did get your Corvette stuck in deep snow. Where would you pull it from especially from the front end? When I bought mine I brought it to Haliburton on a trailer in a blinding snow storm and I tell you that was scary. I would never want to be caught out in a storm actually driving it, snow tires or not.

Best of luck to you with your purchase decision, I think everyone here has your best interests and safety in mind. :canada:

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, it an interesting thought, but lets say you did get your Corvette stuck in deep snow. Where would you pull it from especially from the front end? When I bought mine I brought it to Haliburton on a trailer in a blinding snow storm and I tell you that was scary. I would never want to be caught out in a storm actually driving it, snow tires or not.

Best of luck to you with your purchase decision, I think everyone here has your best interests and safety in mind. :canada:

I watched Manny tie mine down and he attached to parts of the wheels suspensions but running the tow chains/ropes out the front past the bodywork I don't know. You'd have to be very careful not to ruin the bodywork front end.

These cars are so low it's easy to plow into snow a few inches deep and get stuck. As you can tell, not a good idea.

C.

You also have an under slung air intake for our radiators, imagine the scoop effect drawing snow and road slush up into the radiator.

Not a very good idea to run a Vette during our winters.

We're glad that you asked, Zeran......we do have much experience on the subject and what better source?
Indeed if I were in China I would ask you the same sort of questions.

Please don't feel frustrated -- your concerns of being thought of as "ignorant and irresponsible" are totally unfounded.

We have the utmost respect and concern for everyone, which is why we're giving you this information. We care very much about you.

Bottom line is that it's your decision and we wish you luck with whichever way you go, but I"m sure you get the idea from what we've said that driving a 'vette in the winter time even with snow tires is a chancy proposition at best.

Please continue to visit here, We're very interested in your decision.

Once again welcome to our forum. We're a helpful and friendly bunch and we welcome all newcomers.

Colin.

BTW:is that all performance cars that North American made(I mean camaro mustang challenger vette viper...blah blah blah) do not fit for winter driven? Cuz one of my best friend bought a mustang and he was also considered that snow issue... Also,if I don't purchase a vette I might go for a pony so that I could carry two more person?

BTW2: Just as you said, if you in China that you might face same situation:) lol. So if you go travel to visit China and you were consider where to go I will glad to help haha.(Actually Im from the capital city of CN:Beijing):)

You'll have the same issues no matter which RWD car you find. However, the pony cars tend to have more ground clearance than the Corvette which is where you'll find the benefit. My wife drove her Mustang for three years thorough the winters until she lowered it. Now it is strictly a summer vehicle.

Also, on the subject of washing the vehicle to keep the salt off, this works well for the body and external appearance of the vehicle. The problem with salt is that it gets into everything, the wiring, crevices in the door panels, frame, suspension...everywhere so washing it will keep the outside nice but everywhere else on the vehicle will suffer and rust will come through from the back of the panel instead of starting on the outside. This is true for every vehicle you drive but it's nice that the Corvette has a plastic body so it will never rust and continue to look good, however, everything else will corrode and degrade. This is where getting anti-corrosion sprays done and undercoating completed will help the vehicle last longer.

PS. What are you taking in school?

Depending on where you live in North York it might not be a good idea still. I live in Scarborough which is a stone's throw away from North York (5-10 minute drive away). I also work in North York and last winter, my neighbourhood had lots of snow which took 2-3 days for the plows to come by and remove.

So if you live in the suburbs and not in a condo with underground parking and snow removal service, you might not be able to get the vette out of the driveway. I had enough trouble in my lowered civic which has slightly more clearance than the vette. I can only imagine that wider tires, RWD, more HP and lower clearance would have compounded my issues. Not to mention the 2 other cars in front of me that got stuck on my street. Had to spend an extra 30 minutes pushing their cars so that i could drive 200m down my street to get home.

What is possible though is you can drive it no problem MOST days in North York, and on the really bad snow days, just take a sick day and stay home. To be honest, there will be maybe at most 5 days in the winter that would be undriveable for the vette in this area. So if you can afford to have about 3-5 days off in the winter. You could probably get away with driving the vette.

Best of luck!

Still some mustangs, camaros and challengers on the road here all of which have more ground clearance than most vettes. Haven't seen a vette on the road in almost a month. Most of our residential streets have such large ruts a vette would be hung up immediately. I run my Dodge Ram in 4x4 in town all the time but then again we've had close to 2 feet of snow this month!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread