Nov 22, 2013
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
C6 LS2
Hi guys~
Im a international student from China and I’d like to ask several questions to you guys who own vette...

First thing, because I do not have enough financal ability so my first choice is a pre-owned car so I'm looking for a 06 corvette with mannual transmission and it has already runs almost 90000 kms. Would it be so high?——further more, what's the realiability about C6?

Second, the rear wheels of vette is really wide and I thought it will be hard to get winter tires which fit vette. Any recommend? I live in GTA so if I just use all season tire will it suck in winter?

Thanks!

Giving you the benefit of the doubt.... wide tires are of little use in snow, you need a tire that can deal with cold temps, limited ride height is also a negative for driving in the snow. My short answer would be "don't bother" buy a C5 and with the money you saved buy a winter beater.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt.... wide tires are of little use in snow, you need a tire that can deal with cold temps, limited ride height is also a negative for driving in the snow. My short answer would be "don't bother" buy a C5 and with the money you saved buy a winter beater.

You mean that C5's ride height is much higher than C6? What about mileage issue?Thx

Last edited:
Hi Zeran, I think what Wayne is saying is buy a C5 because they are cheaper and with the money you save buy an old inexpensive car to drive in the winter. The ride height of C6 and C5 Corvettes is probably very similar. Corvettes are just not too good in snow due to light rear end, wide tires and lots of power. If you can get winter tires to fit they would probably cost as much as a cheap winter car! Good luck in your quest.

Hi Zeran, I think what Wayne is saying is buy a C5 because they are cheaper and with the money you save buy an old inexpensive car to drive in the winter. The ride height of C6 and C5 Corvettes is probably very similar. Corvettes are just not too good in snow due to light rear end, wide tires and lots of power. If you can get winter tires to fit they would probably cost as much as a cheap winter car! Good luck in your quest.

that is helpful thx,I m not worried about my driving skill cus I have experiences about driving a powerful rwd. Now I'm just wondering if I could use it of my daily ride or it can not use it at all even with snow tires. Tire issue is that I found C6's stock rear tires' width is 305(I'm not sure) so I'm considering about is there has any snow tire is so wide that could fit vette's rim?

Snow tires need to dig in and not float on the top of the snow, you would need narror wheels to fit snow tires, will they clear the brakes?

It also depends where you live, if you are close to a major highway they are clear within a few hours of a snowstorm ending, if you live deep into a subdivision it could be days (or weeks if on Hamilton mountain) before the roads are clear. If the road turns into frozen ruts a low car like a Corvette could never drive on it. It's not about your driving skills it's about physics and reality.

It's a great car but NOT suited for a winter daily driver.

Snow tires need to dig in and not float on the top of the snow, you would need narror wheels to fit snow tires, will they clear the brakes?

It also depends where you live, if you are close to a major highway they are clear within a few hours of a snowstorm ending, if you live deep into a subdivision it could be days (or weeks if on Hamilton mountain) before the roads are clear. If the road turns into frozen ruts a low car like a Corvette could never drive on it. It's not about your driving skills it's about physics and reality.

It's a great car but NOT suited for a winter daily driver.

I'm in north York so it won't take so long to clean the snow. Maybe we have some misunderstanding that you always answer me like treat like ignorant child:D but anyway thank you for your enthusiasm !:D

I am going to vote the the Corvette should be fine to use all winter long. They have heated seats, traction control, ABS, active handling and the weight front to rear is not bad at 50/50. No different and actually probably better than most rwd cars/sedans. The issue is that the tires are wide (as mentioned) so the amount of weight per square inch put on the ground is less making the car more susceptible to skidding on snow/ice rather than digging in. However, I believe that with winter tires and proper driving, this really shouldn't be an issue.

Stock sizes for a C6 are: 285/35-19 in back and 245/40-18 in front.

I have heard good things about using Contenintal DWS tires in the winter and an even better choice would be the Blizzak LM-32 or Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II however, they do not come in the "Standard" tire sizes but if you get ones that are close, you'll be fine. I would recommend: Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II in these sizes

Rears: 265/35R19
Fronts: 235/40R18

The only problem is that this will make the car sit 1/4 lower than stock, however, if a 1/4 is going to make a difference, then you probably should wait for the snow to get cleared anyway.

However, better yet as they look like a little better tire and it would "lift" the car a little would be:

Blizzak LM-32

Rears: 275/40R19
Fronts: 235/45R18

And as always, I would just first check with someone with real knowledge to double check that the tires will fit.

Sorry if you read my post that way, it certainly wasn't my intention, I save that for Brian, Tony and Colin :)

...............:p:p:p:p -- I'll take my cookie back. :D

------------------

Welcome Zeran -- The vette really isn't a ride for the winter months. With the size of tires and copious horsepower and torque, it's not a good idea.

Get something more suited for winter and go shopping for a vette in the spring.

BTW- Wayne isn't like that -- he's a great guy.. (Wayne, you can pay me later)

C.

...............:p:p:p:p -- I'll take my cookie back. :D

------------------

Welcome Zeran -- The vette really isn't a ride for the winter months. With the size of tires and copious horsepower and torque, it's not a good idea.

Get something more suited for winter and go shopping for a vette in the spring.

BTW- Wayne isn't like that -- he's a great guy.. (Wayne, you can pay me later)

C.
It wasn't like that. I defiantly like to hear serious advices by anyone. Maybe is because English is my 2nd language:) thank you also:)

Way to go Wayne.. Picking on a newbie like that. You forgot to mention that Corvettes will shrink in the cold and wet......

Zeran Liu. Welcome to the CCF. Wayne really isn't a bad guy, I think you are just misunderstanding him. In short, what he is telling you is simple. A c6 is just not meant to be driven in the winter, Nothing to do with driving skill. Heck most of us here having been dealing with winter driving for 50 plus years. Save your money and buy something more suitable to the Canadian climate. Corvettes are summer cars.

De l

Last edited:
And I still say buy it! :D

For me the perfect winter car would be a Subaru WRX. I absolutely loved my 98 2.5RS I had when it came out. Didn't ever get stuck once. But I still say a Vette is doable.

However! With the advice here, maybe just wait this winter out and see if it is something you would like to drive. For me, the biggest danger would be the side streets where ruts build up. If you got stuck there, it would suck.

Welcome to the forum ZL.........I say if you go for it, be sure to let us know how the vette works for you as a daily winter driver. Somehow this is not sounding like a great idea to me.

Riley hard to beat an H3 as a winter driver! MHO Lol.

Last edited:
Thx everyone :)

Way to go Wayne.. Picking on a newbie like that. You forgot to mention that Corvettes will shrink in the cold and wet......

Zeran Liu. Welcome to the CCF. Wayne really isn't a bad guy, I think you are just misunderstanding him. In short, what he is telling you is simple. A c6 is just not meant to be driven in the winter, Nothing to do with driving skill. Heck most of us here having been dealing with winter driving for 50 plus years. Save your money and buy something more suitable to the Canadian climate. Corvettes are summer cars.

De l

Hi guys~
Im a international student from China and I’d like to ask several questions to you guys who own vette...

First thing, because I do not have enough financal ability so my first choice is a pre-owned car so I'm looking for a 06 corvette with mannual transmission and it has already runs almost 90000 kms. Would it be so high?——further more, what's the realiability about C6?

Second, the rear wheels of vette is really wide and I thought it will be hard to get winter tires which fit vette. Any recommend? I live in GTA so if I just use all season tire will it suck in winter?

Thanks!

The only possible way a C6 can be used year around in Canada is this.
Put a 6 inch lift kit on a C6 vette and convert it to 4x4 with 35" tires.......... Than you will be fine, estimated cost for conversion = $35000

Your welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only possible way a C6 can be used year around in Canada is this.
Put a 6 inch lift kit on a C6 vette and convert it to 4x4 with 35" tires.......... Than you will be fine, estimated cost for conversion = $35000

Your welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't want to ruin a car like that and you know this is the price that I can't afford lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.