After reading all this I think I will invest in some positioning jacks. Maybe these ones: Motomaster Positioning Dolly
I have a single hydraulic one already that I use to change truck tires with, it works very well. A bit bulky to store maybe.
A friend bought something like those to get his Porsche into the garage and they do not handle bumps well.

First car I have encountered with no steering column lock. Can't say I will miss it.
I hear ya on the positioning jacks, not for extended use lol. In my case, the concrete is pretty good as far as rolling it out of the garage goes. If it has to be winched up on to a flat bed then the operator should have the correct wheel dollies, if not, plenty of other operators to choose from here.
Let's hope it never comes to that.
Hmm on second thought, since I'm months and possibly years away from getting a C8, as the saying goes:
"I should have such a problem" ;)

Reactions: Murray20c8
Is there any way to check what software version the car is running? What was the latest version that seems to be causing the problems for people? I just checked mine and it said there was no software update available, last time it was checked was in the fall before I parked it for winter.

Is there any way to check what software version the car is running? What was the latest version that seems to be causing the problems for people? I just checked mine and it said there was no software update available, last time it was checked was in the fall before I parked it for winter.
It never tells you there are any updates available. The manual says you can do it, but it never works. The updates are "pushed" to the car and not retrieved BY the car.
You can tell what version your car has by going to system (settings?) "about". It will also tell you what updates were installed OTA, but not the ones done by the dealer

This car is like a computer……….from the early 1990’s.

BSD on this Vette. Sad.

I hate OTA updates. Dumbest thing ever. Risky, and a very high failure rate for what it is.

What if you were driving thru Death Valley and it bricked the car? Or some back road lookout you stopped at, way up Northern ON.

Be glad it was in your garage. so glad……

Is there a way to turn these updates off? I think I read somewhere that u can?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
This car is like a computer……….from the early 1990’s.

BSD on this Vette. Sad.

I hate OTA updates. Dumbest thing ever. Risky, and a very high failure rate for what it is.

What if you were driving thru Death Valley and it bricked the car? Or some back road lookout you stopped at, way up Northern ON.

Be glad it was in your garage. so glad……

Is there a way to turn these updates off? I think I read somewhere that u can?
I’m pretty sure you can stop the automatic download, and also you can choose when it gets installed. So best to wait until you’re either home or in the dealer’s parking lot

I’m pretty sure you can stop the automatic download, and also you can choose when it gets installed. So best to wait until you’re either home or in the dealer’s parking lot
Not only that, but you can dismiss each download forever and let your dealer do them all.

We used something similar to that. The problem was that I have single garage doors so only a few inches of clearance and as we pushed it out and they hooked up to the winch on the flatbed the 4 casters wander all over the place. They could not use traditional tow truck wheel dolleys as they would be too wide for the garage doors.. At the other end it was equally difficult getting it off the flatbed as the rear end wanted to wander around on the casters. Total s**t show in a small town.

The only reason I back the car in my garage is that it is too tight for me to get my fat ass out of the car if I drive in front first.
BTW, did the tow truck use these locations to pull the car?

dpbbkfahiphdkphn.png

Dealer update..GM advises about 15+ similar cases in the past few days...they are working on a fix

Ouch. Growing pains with self serve updates. They should really have a documented process to factory reset the car in cases where an update soft bricks it.

Ouch. Growing pains with self serve updates. They should really have a documented process to factory reset the car in cases where an update soft bricks it.
There really isn't any excuse to release a system that lets this happen. From an I.T. perspective, the design should have included dual EPROM chips, so you always have the previous version available, similar to many high-end PC/laptop motherboards. Anything at all goes wrong with an update and you automatically fall back to the previous version. Sheesh, must I design everything? :rolleyes:
But enough blue-skying, I suppose the best advice is make sure you don't do the updates while away from home.

There really isn't any excuse to release a system that lets this happen. From an I.T. perspective, the design should have included dual EPROM chips, so you always have the previous version available, similar to many high-end PC/laptop motherboards. Anything at all goes wrong with an update and you automatically fall back to the previous version. Sheesh, must I design everything? :rolleyes:
But enough blue-skying, I suppose the best advice is make sure you don't do the updates while away from home.

Agreed. Plenty of ways to address this, really should be a non issue this day and age. Maybe an extra couple of mil in parts and R&D vs who knows how many service hours for bricked controllers, resets etc. But I bet it looked odd on a spreadsheet.

Not only that, but you can dismiss each download forever and let your dealer do them all.
Well, this last update downloaded and installed by itself, without any prompting. So NO, there was no optionality that time. There was on prior updates.

Do you know of any way to completely turn OTA updates OFF? Dealer can do them when the car is there for service.

Maybe updates are year specific?
Ya, not only that, but it just like any other computer the updates are applied to the software before it get's installed in the car. That is to say the newer versions are installed rather than patching the older stuff. Sometimes the cars are held for QC for just that. A reflash before leaving BG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread