Sep 19, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
2024 Stingray HTCZ51
Province
ON
Hmmmm, I've got 2 Android TVs, and neither has ads, like the crap on my phone apps.
They have other annoyances, like insufficient RAM/non-volatile storage and slow CPUS, but I haven't seen any ads, unless you mean the scrolling suggestions for the on-board bloatware like Youtube, Tubi, Netflix, Pluto, Paramount+, and so on?

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Me personally, I would never allow a TV to connect to the internet. They are horrible for privacy, tracking everything you watch and sending that data home to be sold. Vizio famously makes more money selling ads, subscriptions, and your data, than it does selling TVs. And Wikileaks alleges that the CIA put backdoors in Samsung TVs to allow them to listen to you via the built in microphone whenever they want (admittedly that seems a bit far fetched, but it's probably possible). Better to use a smart box of some kind to run smart functions to your TV.

Google will not allow ads to be removed from Android TV's! I wonder when ads are going to appear on the Infotainment screen! I can see a Hyundai ad on it now! Oh Wah! :mad:
If you don't need the internet on your TV, go to settings and shut it and your wifi connection off. I think there's also a setting to shut off Google as well. I have a Sony smarter-than-me Tv as well... But I don't need Google activated on it so have all that s**t shut off. No advertisements here.... Other than my Google phone that is...

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I use wifi to stream our TV, so the on-board Android OS and the internet is sort of necessary to make that happen.
It's sometimes slow, and has the occasional hiccup, but in general it works pretty well, at a fraction of the cost of cable or satellite.
OTA is still the least expensive, but has some notable drawbacks, like viewing choices, but if you can live with that, we salute you.
Since we're paying for the (cheap) home internet anyway, I thought I'd give streaming a try.
What could I possibly say, while watching TV, that would interest anybody, let alone the CIA?

Hmmmm, I've got 2 Android TVs, and neither has ads, like the crap on my phone apps.
They have other annoyances, like insufficient RAM/non-volatile storage and slow CPUS, but I haven't seen any ads, unless you mean the scrolling suggestions for the on-board bloatware like Youtube, Tubi, Netflix, Pluto, Paramount+, and so on?
Yup! Watch for the Hyundai ad! I don't have apple tv and it says "sponsored" on the top left of the screen for Apple TV and Hyundai and Crave! None of which I own or want! LOL

• Wow
Reactions: MKC8
If you don't need the internet on your TV, go to settings and shut it and your wifi connection off. I think there's also a setting to shut off Google as well. I have a Sony smarter-than-me Tv as well... But I don't need Google activated on it so have all that s**t shut off. No advertisements here.... Other than my Google phone that is...
I have the Sony Smart tv in my office as well as a 4k Amazon Firestick and a 4K Bluray player. None of them will play VLC well with my 8 TB movie collection. I usually end up using my little laptop to stream through my micro with the video recorder, to my tv, but that's awkward to use. It's easier to use the tv. The ads are few. It's the issue itself that bothers me. It's my tv! I bought it! I don't want ads! To me it's an invasion of my rights! I'll never buy another Android TV again! Of course Roku tv's probably have ads now too! :(

I opened a question on the VLC forum about why it doesn't see my 8 TB video library on my smart TV's or the Firesticks and got crickets. My Roku works fine. It can't be memory because they both have the same amount as I recall.
I have an Xbox, but every time I turn it on it has to update a 5 GB update! What a waste of money that was. I bought it so I could get the 4K bluray player and the game Halo. Halo is so complicated with all the buttons I get killed before I can fire once! LOL.
Gone are the days of Mario where there was 4 buttons. up, down, left & right!
So, the I bought a straight forward Sony 4K bluray player and I have one 4K DVD! LOL! Now we just stream everything in 4K.

Maybe it's buried somewhere in the documentation for Android. (phone TV the same?)
Documentation:Android - VideoLAN Wiki
Might be a simple as granting VLC permission to access storage on your TV?
Somewhere in the TV settings?

What about "Pong"? Move left and right only? Now that was a test of your reflexes, eh???

Last edited:
Maybe it's buried somewhere in the documentation for Android. (phone TV the same?)
Documentation:Android - VideoLAN Wiki
Might be a simple as granting VLC permission to access storage on your TV?
Somewhere in the TV settings?

What about "Pong"? Move left and right only? Now that was a test of your reflexes, eh???
It's something about the size of my library I think. It sees the structure and often the files, but won't play them.
It's on a windows 11 pro machine serving UPnP. All my computers can see and play the files on VLC. My Android phone plays the files on VLC. The Roku uses its own media player and plays the files.
I think it is trying to cache the first few seconds of each file so it can display something and either runs out of space or something like that. I can play stuff in early directories Like my "christmas shows" directory for example, but won't play files in later directories, like t-z dir.
... and now that I try it it's working! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.............................

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day and MKC8
It's something about the size of my library I think. It sees the structure and often the files, but won't play them.
It's on a windows 11 pro machine serving UPnP. All my computers can see and play the files on VLC. My Android phone plays the files on VLC. The Roku uses its own media player and plays the files.
I think it is trying to cache the first few seconds of each file so it can display something and either runs out of space or something like that. I can play stuff in early directories Like my "christmas shows" directory for example, but won't play files in later directories, like t-z dir.
... and now that I try it it's working! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.............................
Like the dealership "couldn't recreate the problem" answer.

And this has anything remotely connected to a Corvette? Just asking?
It's in the "off topic" forum.

If you are connected to the internet and have a smart phone your privacy went out the window long ago.
I'm not asking for privacy, I'm asking that they not use my data for their purposes! IMO the whole point in streaming is the absence of commercials!

Here’s the K.I.S.S.
(Keep It Simple Stupid)
modification
that just might help to
solve everything
in this thread … 🤣
especially the top red button

IMG_3517.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread