Thanks - what about just removing the negative terminal... would that be sufficient?
Instead of looking for different alternatives, just do what many have suggested. Buy a battery tender, not a trickle charger. You can get a battery tender junior at C..... Tire for $50. Attach it when you're not driving the car. You can use a regular or an AGM battery I always try to get the the highest rated. Don't cheap out on a battery for Corvettes. The Delco ones that GM sells are good.

Instead of looking for different alternatives, just do what many have suggested. Buy a battery tender, not a trickle charger. You can get a battery tender junior at C..... Tire for $50. Attach it when you're not driving the car. You can use a regular or an AGM battery I always try to get the the highest rated. Don't cheap out on a battery for Corvettes. The Delco ones that GM sells are good.
Yes and ensure it’s AGM (no leaks)!!!👍

And the saga continues. The GM dealer ran a battery test and noted it only had 3.6V... so, they charged it and it passed the test.

They advised of 2 issues (as per what I already noted): Shift to Reverse caused by faulty switch. Needs to be changed (GM Parts # 89060011). #2 issues, Service Column Lock - replace and program steering lock module (GM Part # 15915003)... they said I could pick the car up (yesterday) and I did (and letting them know I will get back to them on the repairs; they said the car was tested and could to go do as is - or until those message come up again in the DIC).

The car seemed fine when driving, and I had no issues or message in the DIC. I was watching my Voltage, too, and it was always at about 14 or so when driving. I stopped and turned off the car a few times, with no issues to restart normally (including the Shift to Reverse message).

I actually purchased the Reverse Light Switch in advance, so I headed off to a retired mechanic I know with a hoist. The switch was installed with ease.... and guess what: the damn Switch to Reverse message was back!!!???

I drove home, as I now the battery would die if I stopped and turned the car off... no matter how many times I parked the car in reverse, the damn Shift to Reverse kept coming up - not good.

I then went out and purchased a BRAND new battery, and prayed it would resolve all issues. NOTHING happened after installing it. Car would not start / kept getting the Shift to Reverse message - some lights came on , but still NO ENGINE START????!!

I am now panicking and have no idea what do - please, any thoughts - feedback??? Thank you in advance.:mad::mad::mad:
Did they replace the steering column lock or did they do the updated TSB to bypass the column lock? On Corvetteforum.com many people in the US are reporting that this is the only solution offered by some dealers as GM is no longer making the parts. I'd recommend looking into it further and asking your dealer about the updated TSB as this is probably the fix that should have been offered. The column locks are notoriously unreliable and will eventually fail again. The aftermarket bypass modules can have unreliable relays which fail and then have to be replaced.

I'm thinking of having this done but am waiting for things to settle down with COVID, so I have yet to talk to a local dealer about it. I'm also thinking of going the simpler route and just having the BCM reprogrammed to not activate the column lock, forgoing the replacement of the locking plate and unplugging of the column lock, as my column lock is still working and should stay in the unlocked position and not function once reprogrammed.

The 2005s are a bit twonky with the column lock and the shift to reverse function. The column lock was unique to the C6 in 2005, but was also on the C5s, was a D.O.T. requirement to have a column lock to deter theft, was notoriously unreliable, and then was discontinued in 2006 due to changes in the regulation. The story I've read on the shift to reverse function is the ECU in the 2005 is unique, it was adapted from another vehicle designed for an automatic transmission which it sends an off signal to the BCM when shifted into park, so for the manual transmission they used reverse for that position which is why the the DIC displays "Shift to Reverse" when the ignition is first turned off, and the battery will die if the car isn't shifted into reverse. Tuners also don't like them, referring to is as the "mildly retarded ECU" as the spark and fuel table ranges aren't as adjustable, so after a certain level of increase you have to adjust with some sort of factor and it can be a pain.

I have an '05 Z51 as well. First order of business is check the voltage on your battery. How old is it? these cars are temperamental with any battery that is even the slightest bit subpar. Sounds like you drained the battery completely through the winter hibernation as the small startup do not keep the battery conditioned properly. Hence the spring time boost needed. Once the battery is confirmed or replaced see if you still have the DIC issue. It may disappear completely.
I only get the shift to reverse when it's not in reverse so thinking this is the battery issue.
the Service Column Lock DIC sign is much more concerning. do you have a column lock bypass installed? If not you have two choices, put one in or get ECM (Cars brain) reprogrammed to bypass this item) Had the issue come up on my a few times and so installed the bypass. It them failed after a year and would not be fixed by the module so had to have our local corvette shop , with help of a programmer fix the "brain".

Good luck with these first steps and keep is posted!
@RockyPM I gather by "fixing the brain" he used a Tech II programmer to deactivate the column lock as per what is now noted in the updated TSB?

Did they replace the steering column lock or did they do the updated TSB to bypass the column lock? On Corvetteforum.com many people in the US are reporting that this is the only solution offered by some dealers as GM is no longer making the parts. I'd recommend looking into it further and asking your dealer about the updated TSB as this is probably the fix that should have been offered. The column locks are notoriously unreliable and will eventually fail again. The aftermarket bypass modules can have unreliable relays which fail and then have to be replaced.

I'm thinking of having this done but am waiting for things to settle down with COVID, so I have yet to talk to a local dealer about it. I'm also thinking of going the simpler route and just having the BCM reprogrammed to not activate the column lock, forgoing the replacement of the locking plate and unplugging of the column lock, as my column lock is still working and should stay in the unlocked position and not function once reprogrammed.

The 2005s are a bit twonky with the column lock and the shift to reverse function. The column lock was unique to the C6 in 2005, but was also on the C5s, was a D.O.T. requirement to have a column lock to deter theft, was notoriously unreliable, and then was discontinued in 2006 due to changes in the regulation. The story I've read on the shift to reverse function is the ECU in the 2005 is unique, it was adapted from another vehicle designed for an automatic transmission which it sends an off signal to the BCM when shifted into park, so for the manual transmission they used reverse for that position which is why the the DIC displays "Shift to Reverse" when the ignition is first turned off, and the battery will die if the car isn't shifted into reverse. Tuners also don't like them, referring to is as the "mildly retarded ECU" as the spark and fuel table ranges aren't as adjustable, so after a certain level of increase you have to adjust with some sort of factor and it can be a pain.
Creedence85, thanks for your message. I've not been on the forum for a while, so a little update. I finally got the car back on May 4th. They did not update the TSB to bypass the column lock, rather ordered the part to replace it (I guess there are some parts still available)? That being said - I appreciate the info you supplied, as I need to reach out to them and inquire about the TSB mater. At least I am covered by warranty for both labour/parts for 3 years / 60K...

To add to my woes - after the steering lock column finally arrived and was installed, the car would still not start.... guess what?! The starter failed and need to be replaced.... with such low mileage on my C6, this shocked me... maybe a result of the issues I originally ran into?

Regardless, the Dealer actually did reduce the final cost vs. the original quote (LOL - so, they made 40% margin, rather than 50% margin on the total repair).... just happy to have the car back, to drive and enjoy her.

Reactions: Creedence85
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread