Mar 20, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2005 Z51
Province
BC
Looking for help - my ‘05 Vette Z51 Convertible is creating grief for me. It sat uninsured since November 2020 - but, I did start her up and let run for a min. 20 very 3 weeks or so. Finally insured her yesterday and now I can’t enjoy a ride. Originally had to jump start her - no issues worked out fine. After a good hour + cruise, I shifted to reverse when I came home, but the DIC stated ‘shift to reverse’ and won’t not turn off. Believe me - it was in reverse. Also - I saw a Service Column Lock notice in my DIC. I am concerned - any feedback? PS - yes I have Googled this, but not confident in a solid solution. Thanks in advance for any help from you all.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
I have an '05 Z51 as well. First order of business is check the voltage on your battery. How old is it? these cars are temperamental with any battery that is even the slightest bit subpar. Sounds like you drained the battery completely through the winter hibernation as the small startup do not keep the battery conditioned properly. Hence the spring time boost needed. Once the battery is confirmed or replaced see if you still have the DIC issue. It may disappear completely.
I only get the shift to reverse when it's not in reverse so thinking this is the battery issue.
the Service Column Lock DIC sign is much more concerning. do you have a column lock bypass installed? If not you have two choices, put one in or get ECM (Cars brain) reprogrammed to bypass this item) Had the issue come up on my a few times and so installed the bypass. It them failed after a year and would not be fixed by the module so had to have our local corvette shop , with help of a programmer fix the "brain".

Good luck with these first steps and keep is posted!

• Winner
Reactions: Rruuff Day
RockyPM - thank you for your reply. Battery was replaced in March 2020 - uninsured as of Nov 2, 2020 and just got insurance this past Monday. I had BCAA here yesterday, and they noted an 8.2 or 8.8 Volt reading on the battery (not good). However, many failed attempts for them to boost the car. I then had the car taken away on a flatbed today to my local GM Dealership... I do hope it's just the battery - I had a few other odd messages come up on the DIC this morning, so let's see what they say.

RockyPM - no column lock bypass installed (but I have been reading up on them the last days on the net). If you have one, where did you get yours?" As well - can the Dealership reprogram the ECM and bypass this feature? Again, thanks for getting back to me - I just want to drive my C6 now that I got her re-insured... :(

@Yellow C6 Z51, Yup, the BATTERY! I had one go bad after less than one year. Even if all the messages go away it would be wise to install the column lock bypass module. I have two of the column lock bypass units from when the local Corvette garage was working on my car. I don't need them so PM me your address and I will send them to you. I'll also PM the instructions on how to install. If your fearful of opening up your dashboard it would be good to get someone who has done it before. The module goes behind the gauges. It is easy and if you are DIY go for it.

I don't think a dealership will reprogram the ECU but you can ask. My car was at an actual Corvette shop in Calgary and they worked with a local tuner to get it done. If you ask around you should be able to find a shop thee to do it.

I have an '05 Z51 as well. First order of business is check the voltage on your battery. How old is it? these cars are temperamental with any battery that is even the slightest bit subpar. Sounds like you drained the battery completely through the winter hibernation as the small startup do not keep the battery conditioned properly. Hence the spring time boost needed. Once the battery is confirmed or replaced see if you still have the DIC issue. It may disappear completely.
I only get the shift to reverse when it's not in reverse so thinking this is the battery issue.
the Service Column Lock DIC sign is much more concerning. do you have a column lock bypass installed? If not you have two choices, put one in or get ECM (Cars brain) reprogrammed to bypass this item) Had the issue come up on my a few times and so installed the bypass. It them failed after a year and would not be fixed by the module so had to have our local corvette shop , with help of a programmer fix the "brain".

Agree 100% that battery is causing both issues

And the saga continues. The GM dealer ran a battery test and noted it only had 3.6V... so, they charged it and it passed the test.

They advised of 2 issues (as per what I already noted): Shift to Reverse caused by faulty switch. Needs to be changed (GM Parts # 89060011). #2 issues, Service Column Lock - replace and program steering lock module (GM Part # 15915003)... they said I could pick the car up (yesterday) and I did (and letting them know I will get back to them on the repairs; they said the car was tested and could to go do as is - or until those message come up again in the DIC).

The car seemed fine when driving, and I had no issues or message in the DIC. I was watching my Voltage, too, and it was always at about 14 or so when driving. I stopped and turned off the car a few times, with no issues to restart normally (including the Shift to Reverse message).

I actually purchased the Reverse Light Switch in advance, so I headed off to a retired mechanic I know with a hoist. The switch was installed with ease.... and guess what: the damn Switch to Reverse message was back!!!???

I drove home, as I now the battery would die if I stopped and turned the car off... no matter how many times I parked the car in reverse, the damn Shift to Reverse kept coming up - not good.

I then went out and purchased a BRAND new battery, and prayed it would resolve all issues. NOTHING happened after installing it. Car would not start / kept getting the Shift to Reverse message - some lights came on , but still NO ENGINE START????!!

I am now panicking and have no idea what do - please, any thoughts - feedback??? Thank you in advance.:mad::mad::mad:

As suggested it's probably battery. Don't bother messing with the ruined battery. Buy a new one and make sure connections are solid before starting. Suggestions for future. Don't start at all over the winter while parked as you are doing more harm than good. Engine and other fluids do not circulate properly. Also running but not moving does not charge battery properly. Disconnect battery over winter or connect a battery tender. Not a trickle charger.

good afternoon yes the reverse switch on a 05 corvette is used to fully shut down system in 2006 gm discontinue using this switch for shutting down car when in reverse cause of so many complaints from 05 buyers having dead batterys to check if switch is bad remove wire from switch insert jumper wire into wire plug put car in reverse if backup lights come on and dic does not say put in reverse switch is bad

Reactions: Yellow C6 Z51
Looking for help - my ‘05 Vette Z51 Convertible is creating grief for me. It sat uninsured since November 2020 - but, I did start her up and let run for a min. 20 very 3 weeks or so. Finally insured her yesterday and now I can’t enjoy a ride. Originally had to jump start her - no issues worked out fine. After a good hour + cruise, I shifted to reverse when I came home, but the DIC stated ‘shift to reverse’ and won’t not turn off. Believe me - it was in reverse. Also - I saw a Service Column Lock notice in my DIC. I am concerned - any feedback? PS - yes I have Googled this, but not confident in a solid solution. Thanks in advance for any help from you all.
You’re better off remove the battery for the winter and use battery tenders. I think your battery is done. Hopefully it didn’t do any damage on your computers. Get AMA to test your battery for voltage. Good luck !!!

Reactions: Yellow C6 Z51

[SIZE=4]2KforeverC5[/SIZE] - thank you... car is at the dealer now. They did say the battery had a dead cell... I think it did affect the computer... getting it worked on and hoping to have it back soon. Lesson learnt for future storage when not insured on my part :mad: Thanks everyone.

Invest-on a BATTERY TENDER. Don’t make a mistake of using a CHARGER specially if the car will be sitting for a period of time. Ask if your particular ride requires an AGM. Enjoy. 🥂😷

I've had problems with batteries when they get old or even a little weak. I had a $300 AC Delco that didn't last a year and died. It was verified by the GM dealer as junk. If you get five years out of a battery, use it somewhere else and buy a new one because you are living on borrowed time. There will be no warning as with the older cars with the slow roll when the battery is on its way out. Don't you just love all this technology that we have today?

I've had problems with batteries when they get old or even a little weak. I had a $300 AC Delco that didn't last a year and died. It was verified by the GM dealer as junk. If you get five years out of a battery, use it somewhere else and buy a new one because you are living on borrowed time. There will be no warning as with the older cars with the slow roll when the battery is on its way out. Don't you just love all this technology that we have today?
Always check the date on the battery even brand new !!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread